Sydney_Fife

2018 Pistons Offseason

10 hours ago, NYLion said:

Who does SVG think he is that he can "resist" any changes Gores wants to make? What leverage does he possibly think he has? He's lucky that Gores is willing to move forward with him at all in any capacity.

No team president who is smart would want to take over a team that has no financial flexibility.  Barring a trade which wouldn't net similar talent the Pistons are stuck with what they have for the most part. 

So pretty much SVG has done so good of a job that no one else worth their salt would want it. 

I would want to know how much Bower did on his own.

I doubt he was out there freelancing. He was probably taking all his orders directly from SVG. So I'm not real sure how firing him accomplishes anything.

Just now, Deleterious said:

I doubt he was out there freelancing. He was probably taking all his orders directly from SVG. So I'm not real sure how firing him accomplishes anything.

PR move. 

Firing Bower and keeping SVG will attract exactly zero new interest from fans.

Terrible. SVG's coaching has been even worse than his GM'ing. It's time to move on and reboot this thing.

Clearly Gores is thinking short/medium term on this investment and wants to flip the franchise. He's hoping Reggie's health will mean a playoff appearance next year, even if it means the team is hard capped on their potential. It tells me that he'll be happy with being just above the relevancy line (7-8 seed) and has no time for a reboot in the interest of the long term health of the franchise.

25 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Clearly Gores is thinking short/medium term on this investment and wants to flip the franchise.

That would fit with Gores' experience as a venture capitalist.

I have seen zero evidence he wants to flip the franchise.  I would argue everything he has done has shown the exact opposite.

Spent about $40M on a renovation of the Palace, only to shutter it a few years later.  Spent huge money on a coach.  Spent huge money on the roster.  

If he was just looking for a quick flip he wouldn't spend money on a coach.  He wouldn't spend that money on the roster.  And the Palace didn't need that renovation.  He would just spend small on a coach, spend the league minimum on the roster, don't do any type of building upgrade.  And then let the popularity of the league raise the value of his franchise.

BTW, the Pistons are valued at over a billion dollars now.  He bought them 6 (7?) years ago for $350M.  

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

BTW, the Pistons are valued at over a billion dollars now.  He bought them 6 (7?) years ago for $350M. 

I can't fathom the Pistons being worth a billion dollars in the open market.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

My other worry is the Pistons end up with Melo.  

Better late than never. 

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

My other worry is the Pistons end up with Melo.  

they could trade for Melo, take a flyer on Bosh, sign Wade and bring Darko back from his farm.

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

it accomplishes gores being able to put arn tellum in there.

Then Stan is right to resist. He should be able to pick his own people.

Don't know why anybody ever doubted LeBron.  East is still as soft as charmin.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Fizdale takes the Knicks job.  Poor *******.

I realize there are only 30 jobs out there, but taking the Knicks job just doesn’t seem like a wise move.

On 5/2/2018 at 4:01 PM, Deleterious said:

I have seen zero evidence he wants to flip the franchise.  I would argue everything he has done has shown the exact opposite.

Spent about $40M on a renovation of the Palace, only to shutter it a few years later.  Spent huge money on a coach.  Spent huge money on the roster.  

If he was just looking for a quick flip he wouldn't spend money on a coach.  He wouldn't spend that money on the roster.  And the Palace didn't need that renovation.  He would just spend small on a coach, spend the league minimum on the roster, don't do any type of building upgrade.  And then let the popularity of the league raise the value of his franchise.

In my experience with Venture Capitalists and PE firms, they aren't hesitant to invest money if they believe it will accelerate the growth of their investment. The critical point comes about 4-8 years in (timeline depends upon the firm) when they would typically target a return on their investment. At that time, there's little interest in burning it to the ground and rebooting. It's highly risky, doesn't look good from an outside perspective, and it typically means another round of capital investment that not only hurts the margin but also means another 4-8 years before they can target a sale.

I obviously can't say for certain whether or not Gores is using that strategy for the Pistons, but it sure looks like it from the outside and even if he doesn't plan to flip it, sometimes a person's business habits just are what they are.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:43 PM, Buddha said:

is it possible that gores is waiting to meet with svg until he has lined up a replacement behind the scenes?

arn tellum era begins!

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

arn tellum era begins!

Bingo.  Close the thread now!

Image result for lavar ball

Time for a new Pistons era.  I wonder what it would take to get him into the fold?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Image result for lavar ball

Time for a new Pistons era.  I wonder what it would take to get him into the fold?

listen, gores probably knows who those guys are which makes it possible that he could hire them.  so keep it down, ok?

On 5/1/2018 at 5:29 PM, Deleterious said:

I have a bad feeling that Andre will attempt to develop a 3PT shot this summer.

last time the svg hiring came out of nowhere, so the lack of news doesnt mean there isnt stuff going on behind the scenes.

still, i would like a bit of news.