Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

2018 Pistons Offseason

Does SVG return? How do they tweak the roster without a pick or cap space? Will Tolliver return? 

This thread couldn't get here soon enough.

Does anyone else find it odd that the upcoming Gores & Van Gundy chat will take place in Los Angeles?  I expect Van Gundy to return as a coach only.  Not sure who handles the general manager operations, but I absolutely prefer it to be someone with some sort of front office experience.

I don't know how the roster gets broken up.  I suppose trading Drummond is the best way to do it.  Hey, they need to do something.

I like Tolliver as a big off of the bench.  I would like to see him back, but wouldn't he like to go after a ring somewhere?

Stan should be gone. But even if he does get fired I'm not getting my hopes up. The new guy will be severely handcuffed by the roster and cap situation.

Good to see SF back posting.

• Thanks 1

I'd imagine this thread will be pretty boring. With the exception of maybe the draft. Pistons don't have much cap space,.

I'd guess Jeff Bower is given the boot or "promoted". SVG becomes coach only. New GM brought in probably Tellem.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Stan should be gone. But even if he does get fired I'm not getting my hopes up. The new guy will be severely handcuffed by the roster and cap situation.

I would suggest the new person(s) would also be handcuffed by the owner as well.

Nobody is going anywhere.  They won a few games at the end of the season so everything is ok now.  They will use the Reggie injury as an excuse for the poor season which is somewhat valid but will almost certainly buy SVG another year.

As far as the roster is concerned, what can they do?  They are capped out, don't have any assets to deal and likely no 1st rounder. I'm sure there will be some minor shuffling as is the case with every team but this is our team going into next season.

The team should have done better. But Reggie being injured isn't an "excuse", it is a key factor for poor play. The team performed significantly better with Reggie in the starting lineup. The unfortunate thing is that Reggie's health problems make relying on him nearly impossible next season. We can't expect him to come back and play a full season. 

Upgrading the PG position needs to the main priority for this team this off-season. 

I am comfortable with Kennard as the starting 2 guard next season. He showed that he is a good shooter, performed better as a starter than he did off the bench, and isn't a dumpster fire on defense. Give him another off-season of development, and I think his assertiveness on offense will increase. 

I am also comfortable with Bullock at the 3. Similar to Kennard - Bullock can shoot the ball and he can do enough of the other things to stay relevant. Not a star by any means, but solid enough.

The 4/5 is settled with Blake & Drummond. 

Putting 3 shooters around the Blake/Drummond front court is the path for this team to succeed. 

The front office will also need to hit on smaller contracts like they did with Bullock & Tolliver.  

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Nobody is going anywhere.  They won a few games at the end of the season so everything is ok now. 

You can criticize SVG for moves he made, but you can't possibly say he doesn't make moves.

The guy has made monumental changes to the starting lineup, year after year. Within his tenure, he cut Josh Smith, let Monroe walk, traded for Jackson, let KCP walk, traded for Tobias & Bradley, and then traded them for Griffin. That is a lot of movement in the starting lineup. 

I understand the salary cap makes it harder for him to make big moves again, but don't count it out. He has been aggressive on the trade market and has a good track record with the trades he made. 

i like bullock too, but lets remember that his main problems have been injury related.  kind of the same dilemma that reggie has had lately.  this is the only year bullock has been fully healthy.  hopefully it continues next year.

21 hours ago, NYLion said:

Nobody is going anywhere.  They won a few games at the end of the season so everything is ok now.  They will use the Reggie injury as an excuse for the poor season which is somewhat valid but will almost certainly buy SVG another year.

This is the line that is being pushed by the organization. However, it has been two years in a row he has been seriously injured. Between Jackson and Griffin one of them is going to be hurt the majority of the season, and everyone knows that.

You have to play Bullock at SF and start Luke.

Stanley cannot start with Blake and Andre. ****, even Reggie needs to get into the paint to be real effective. Stanley kills all the spacing with that unit. Play him off the bench. You MUST have shooting around Blake and Andre.

Tolliver is interesting. At 33, does he repeat the hot shooting from this season? They have roughly 8.3 million for a MLE (Mid-Level Exception) that doesn't count against the cap. God, that Galloway deal sucks. He's going to have to be the backup SG next year. You can't waste away 7 million dollars (2 more years!!!) for nothing. 

The development of Ellenson and Moreland makes it interesting. Do they move Leuer off an injury for a SF? Probably just a bad contract swap at this point.

Fournier would be a wet dream but we don't have the assets to acquire him.

Pistons went 25-16 at home and 7-7 on zero days rest. You make the playoffs with those numbers. The Pistons dropped some HORRIBLE games this year.

@ Memphis, @ Atlanta, @ Orlando, @ Orlando, @ Chicago, @ Dallas, Brooklyn

You go 5-2 instead of 0-7, they make the playoffs with 44 wins. Hard to believe Washington limped to 43-39.

Their 14-27 road record did them in. I believe they had a stretch where they went 1-17 on the road.

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Good to see SF back posting.

Good to be back, Del. Thanks!

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/det/detroit-pistons

The final numbers- Few things to look at.

Bullock started 52 games and shot 44 percent from distance on 4.5 attempts per game. That's elite shooting.

Drummond played in 78 games and shot 61 percent from the line on 5 attempts per game. That's a HUGE improvement.

Galloway and Johnson both shot 37 percent from the floor. 7 million a year for LG and Stanley was taken over Booker. Woof.

ISH! 34 percent from distance on 1.2 attempts per game for the season. After the ASB, 41 percent on 2.3 attempts per game!!! Wow.

Drummond was much better defensively. Still inefficient offensively. Impressive as **** to see a guy average 16 boards a game.

Between his new found foul shooting and defense, this is the summer you could move him and get some value. I'd keep an eye on that. If the right deal for a guard or wing comes along, I'd jump all over it.

Ellenson's defense makes him totally unplayable. Moreland should be their fourth big if Tolliver leaves.

Bullock isn't good and shouldn't start. His shots assisted number is something like 88%, which is awful. It means he can't create anything. Your 3 and D types will be around 65 %, so you can see he is extreme. He needs to come off the bench.

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:
You can criticize SVG for moves he made, but you can't possibly say he doesn't make moves.

The guy has made monumental changes to the starting lineup, year after year. Within his tenure, he cut Josh Smith, let Monroe walk, traded for Jackson, let KCP walk, traded for Tobias & Bradley, and then traded them for Griffin. That is a lot of movement in the starting lineup. 

I understand the salary cap makes it harder for him to make big moves again, but don't count it out. He has been aggressive on the trade market and has a good track record with the trades he made. 

Thank goodness he extended that salary cap hit Josh Smith, eh?

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Thank goodness he extended that salary cap hit Josh Smith, eh?

You can only use that joke for two more seasons

Oh, Christ.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

You can only use that joke for two more seasons

Oh, Christ.

I just don't want to hear Van Gundy crying about the salary cap when he's the one that built the roster.

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I'm not criticizing him for lack of activity, I'm just saying that I expect minimal activity this offseason. 

They will give this group a season to play together and SVG a season to coach them and I get it, they never really had a chance to gel this season.  I'm just not excited about the upside.  It's kind of how I feel about the Lions, just good enough to be competitive but no real hope for anything special IMO.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Bullock isn't good and shouldn't start. His shots assisted number is something like 88%, which is awful. It means he can't create anything. Your 3 and D types will be around 65 %, so you can see he is extreme. He needs to come off the bench.

On a team like the Pistons he's starting :) 

The Pistons finished 12th in the lottery.  I think they have something like a 2% chance of moving up into the top 3.

I can't believe Josh Smith is still getting paid 5.4 milllion for 2 years. That is absurd. The Pistons should have just bit the bullet on that contract.

How much sleep you losing over 4% of the cap. It was the same amount of total cap space in the end either way. Just as good a chance we'd have used it on a Langston Galloway this year too

3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

How much sleep you losing over 4% of the cap. It was the same amount of total cap space in the end either way. Just as good a chance we'd have used it on a Langston Galloway this year too

Well, that there is a decent point about misallocating that space in a different manner.