Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

NHL 2017-18 Playoff Predictions

In the interest in fairness, trying to clean up the break out is one of the coaching roles I have with the youth teams I work with, so I probably focus on this aspect more than may be, or is, fair.

But in my opinion, Toronto left money on the table, so to say, this past series with regards to breaking out, and it wasn't simply because Boston fore-checks well (and they do fore-check well).

With more experience and coaching, they can correct a lot of those type of errors.

Unrelated, I am available to hire as a NHL consultant.

Vegas 7 San Jose 0 in Game 1. The Knights have given up 3 goals in 5 playoff games so far, and one of those games was 2OT.

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

hmmmmm

Here's a question for whichever team wins the #1 pick (Dahlin) tomorrow. Would you trade that pick straight up for Matthews? Would the Leafs make that trade?

On the one hand, Dahlin comes into the draft with more hype than Matthews did. Hype over Dahlin is at Crosby-McDavid levels. Also, I'd argue a franchise D is harder to find than a franchise C. And Matthews has used up 2 years of his cheap contract.

On the other hand, Matthews has already produced, I'd say as was expected - no better, no worse. So that's safe. Dahlin is only potential and young D typically are harder to predict than young C.

I'm thinking absent the Dahlin GM falling in love with an existing established young NHLer, you'd have to go Lindros style with a trade for the Dahlin pick.  With how GM's in the NHL think I can't imagine something like this would ever even be brought up but I guess stranger things have happened?

Order after the draft lotteries results:

1. Buffalo

2. Carolina

3. Montreal

4. Ottawa

5. Arizona

6. Detroit

7. Vancouver

They'll still have a decent pick of the second tier defensemen at least, but not picking top three sucks.

Good hockey in the 2nd round, the series are more competitive than in the 1st round. This may be the year the Caps get the Penguin monkey off its back - or at least breaks it jaw.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Good hockey in the 2nd round, the series are more competitive than in the 1st round. This may be the year the Caps get the Penguin monkey off its back - or at least breaks it jaw.

Agreed.  The Nashville v Winnipeg series has been really fun.

The game last night  even got me hyped up to watch prospect videos and I'm all aboard the Boqvist train for the Wings now.

Tampa and Vegas advanced to the conference finals today.  Could be joined by Washington and Winnipeg as soon as tomorrow.  Vegas is an expansion team. Washington hasn't been past the 2nd round in the Ovechkin era and only once ever, 1998. Winnipeg had never even won a 2nd round game.

26 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Tampa and Vegas advanced to the conference finals today.  Could be joined by Washington and Winnipeg as soon as tomorrow.  Vegas is an expansion team. Washington hasn't been past the 2nd round in the Ovechkin era and only once ever, 1998. Winnipeg had never even won a 2nd round game.

It's fixed.  It's all fixed.  

Great moment last night for Kuznetsov, for Ovechkin, for the Caps and for the NHL.  Caps slay the dragon, knocking out the 2-time defending champs in OT in their own building. I was running through the trails listening to the Caps broadcast. I don't always love underdogs, but I at times love redemption stories or when a player or team finally gets over the hump. The Caps still have work to do to win the Cup, but last night was a biggie.

https://wtop.com/washington-capitals/2018/05/audio-evgeny-kuznetsovs-overtime-winner-sends-capitals-east-final/

DcpRO98WsAAMTOK.jpg:large

Wow, an expansion team is about to make it to the Stanley Cup Final

I know that is not a first, but that's also misleading because when the league doubled from 6 to 12, it was guaranteed an expansion team would make the final because it was all expansion teams in one division.     This is happening with One expansion team vs. 30 established teams.   

Pretty incredible. 

That's gonna be a lot of pressure on the Seattle Totems in 2 years.