DumberAndLeaner

Gardenhire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ausmus

On 4/24/2018 at 9:40 PM, tiger337 said:

Internet message boards are dying because there are so many different social media options which people find easier to use than message boards.  

As far as this board goes, most of us are here to have quality discussion about baseball.  If new people contribute to that, then they are typically well received.  If they come here to talk casually about the game, they will probably not get much reaction one way or the other.  If people come here to stir up ****, they won't be well received.   There is some snark here, but it's one of the more civilized sports discussion boards I have seen.  

How do you mean?  In my head I am thinking 'message boards are easy as h e double hockey sticks and social media is actually pretty confusing.'

16 hours ago, tiger337 said:

That's because you're a moron.  

This joke is ALWAYS better when the wrong you're is used.  Git good Lee! 

Never could figure out how "That's" is any easier to type than "That is" .. or "you're" is any easier than "you are".

Its puzzling to me.  ;) 

1 minute ago, Tigrrfan said:

Never could figure out how "That's" is any easier to type than "That is" .. or "you're" is any easier than "you are".

Its puzzling to me.  ;) 

Same.  Contractions are useless and a bastardization of the language IMO (lol at that a little...in my opinion takes much longer and I consider internet language anyway....different from actual language or even proper written language)...You are usually not replacing anything with the contraction anyway.  It's...just replacing the i with the ' and a space I guess.  You're...same thing.  

That does not mean I do not use them because I do sometimes.

1 minute ago, Tigrrfan said:

Its puzzling to me.  ;) 

Contractions probably started in oral language, also worked well when writing longhand cursive. From there they’ve become habits

We type how we speak.  We say "you're," so that's what we type, which means people incorrectly use "your."  That one that irritates me more is "would of."  The grammatically correct way is "would've," but because it sounds like "would of," that's what people type.  

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I wouldn't belong to any committee that would have me.

Then you have nothing to worry about.

Are most of you serious???

I’m sure fans that follow the Tigers were anticipating a 100 loss season based on the roster. The fact that 2 months into the season the Tigers are on pace to be 15-20 games better than that is nothing short of miraculous. If he keeps this up, Gardenhire will be a candidate for sainthood.

also, having good coaches that will work for you is not a lucky break but a testimony to his quality. Even if his early success is a precursor to losing some quality performers through trade, that can only mean adding players designed to return the Tigers to championship contender sooner rather than later.

Ron Gardenhire was an excellent hire,  and his performance supports that belief.

Joe M

3 minutes ago, Joe Beagle said:

I’m sure fans that follow the Tigers were anticipating a 100 loss season based on the roster. The fact that 2 months into the season the Tigers are on pace to be 15-20 games better than that is nothing short of miraculous. If he keeps this up, Gardenhire will be a candidate for sainthood.

also, having good coaches that will work for you is not a lucky break but a testimony to his quality. Even if his early success is a precursor to losing some quality performers through trade, that can only mean adding players designed to return the Tigers to championship contender sooner rather than later.

Ron Gardenhire was an excellent hire,  and his performance supports that belief.

Joe M

I think many were expecting about 92 losses more or less. 

1 hour ago, Joe Beagle said:

Joe M

I do not know what most fans were anticipating.  I can only speak for myself and I predicted a 70-92 record prior to the season.  Right now, they are on a pace to win 73 games, so nothing remarkable is happening as far as I am concerned.  I have no problem with how Gardenhire has managed the team to this point.  However, if he is such a great manager, why have the last four teams he has managed finished in last place?  

52 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I do not know what most fans were anticipating.  I can only speak for myself and I predicted a 70-92 record prior to the season.  Right now, they are on a pace to win 73 games, so nothing remarkable is happening as far as I am concerned.  I have no problem with how Gardenhire has managed the team to this point.  However, if he is such a great manager, why have the last four teams he has managed finished in last place?  

TINSTAAGM

On 4/27/2018 at 9:16 AM, John_Brian_K said:

How do you mean?  In my head I am thinking 'message boards are easy as h e double hockey sticks and social media is actually pretty confusing.'

if internet message boards are a harder option, we're in serious trouble for our future.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Because that's what God wanted...........

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

We really have found out just how bad Assmus was!

I find this thread more of an insult to Ausmus than a praise of Gardenhire. 

I find it strange because I don't believe the Tiger's record would be any different if Ausmus were managing. What significant moves has Gardenhire made that Ausmus wouldn't have?  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He has only managed the Twinkies and now the Tigers. While the Tigers are well regarded as a franchise, the Twinkies are not exactly a hotbed market. He still managed better than half of his first 10 seasons to 1st place division finishes.

He then fell to the bottom of the division his last 4 seasons wth the Twins. Not necessarily an indictment of his overall management ability based on the natural cyclic nature of the franchise demographics. His 4 year hiatus from management was marred by serious illness and recuperation. 

Overall I will stand by my assessment and time will tell.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:46 PM, bobrob2004 said:

I find this thread more of an insult to Ausmus than a praise of Gardenhire. 

I find it strange because I don't believe the Tiger's record would be any different if Ausmus were managing. What significant moves has Gardenhire made that Ausmus wouldn't have?  

I believe the 2018 Tigers enjoy playing for Gardy much more than the 2017 team did playing for Ausmus. I don’t think Gardy has made any genius moves or reinvented anything really. I believe he’s letting his guys play and they know he has their back. Gardy had a history managing and I think the guys felt comfortable he knew what was realistic this year and what wasn’t.

Well before the season started I thought Gardy was the perfect fit for the Tigers current situation. I still do, moreso now.

For the record, Ausmus was my choice for the job when Leyland stepped down. I think Brad came in as the team was in the twilight of what had been. What I posted prior is in no way intended to put Brad in a negative light. I wish things had worked out for him.

Seems like a loose team, and they are basically in the middle of the pack in everything but power hitting.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:36 PM, Joe Beagle said:

He has only managed the Twinkies and now the Tigers. While the Tigers are well regarded as a franchise, the Twinkies are not exactly a hotbed market. He still managed better than half of his first 10 seasons to 1st place division finishes.

He then fell to the bottom of the division his last 4 seasons wth the Twins. Not necessarily an indictment of his overall management ability based on the natural cyclic nature of the franchise demographics. His 4 year hiatus from management was marred by serious illness and recuperation. 

Overall I will stand by my assessment and time will tell.

Time will never tell anything, because all rosters are different.  I always give 95% of the credit to players.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Time will never tell anything, because all rosters are different.  I always give 95% of the credit to players.  

Then that's 8 games Gardy will put them in a position to win that Ausmus didn't.  :cool:

10 hours ago, tiger337 said:

And 5% to the fans for encouraging them.

11 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Seems like a loose team, and they are basically in the middle of the pack in everything but power hitting.

Yeah but they blew it in the late innings last night instead of winning in the late innings. So they aren’t loose anymore. They also aren’t “fun to watch” anymore. 

We will see what today has in store. Maybe they will become fun to watch again. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Yeah but they blew it in the late innings last night instead of winning in the late innings. So they aren’t loose anymore. They also aren’t “fun to watch” anymore. 

We will see what today has in store. Maybe they will become fun to watch again. 

What comes first, the winning or the looseness?

Maybe buck farmer is the problem and the managers are irrelevant.