Jump to content

DumberAndLeaner

Gardenhire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ausmus

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

More to the point, does D&L need your help to counter "the gang"?

Even more to the point, does the forum need you guys jumping down new member's throats at the slightest misgiving?  Don't make JBK right. You wouldn't like it when he's right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Even more to the point, does the forum need you guys jumping down new member's throats at the slightest misgiving?  Don't make JBK right. You wouldn't like it when he's right.

With all due respect, sir,......  Your avatar is awfully darn amusing within the context of the current discussion.  Especially the bolded sentence.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

The board hasn't had this kind of morning zoo drama (outside the poli forums) in years.  Fun times.

Tyrus brings out the best in all of us.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Even more to the point, does the forum need you guys jumping down new member's throats at the slightest misgiving?  Don't make JBK right. You wouldn't like it when he's right.

What if he's not a "new" member?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Ok, I'm pissed at somebody, but I'm not sure who.

Liston & Lee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

How about instead of ganging up on new members and responding to perceived or real trolling, you just let them be? If you guys in the "old boys club" can't play nice with others, how do you think a lurker is going to think about joining the forum? Do you want the forum to grow or remain the same 8 guys rehashing the same arguments over and over and over and over?

Seriously.

I'd like the eight guys thing. New people are scary. ****, sometimes I still jump a little when I see that Shelton quoted me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Even more to the point, does the forum need you guys jumping down new member's throats at the slightest misgiving?  Don't make JBK right. You wouldn't like it when he's right.

As I wrote before, I think the board was more than civil and engaging in discussion despite him being, IMO, somewhat flippant for 7 or 8 pages.  Then he made an Alzheimer's crack about Liston, and I don't know, 10 or 15 posters replied because they presumably felt he went over the line.

That's just what happens.  There isn't a committee of people sitting around adjudicating what the response is to a post or poster.  I think most everyone responds as they feel appropriate or humorous or whatever, largely independent if other people responded.

My general observation is new posters get more leeway, not less.  But I don't think the response to D&L given the general tenor of his posts was out of line, so maybe my opinion isn't the best here.  I suppose I don't see the 'there' there.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm here for two things. Serious baseball discussion and being nice to new posters, and I'm all out of being nice to new posters! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I'd like the eight guys thing. New people are scary. ****, sometimes I still jump a little when I see that Shelton quoted me. 

When Shelton quotes you, it usually means you're wrong.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

meh - rites of passage. I hadn't been long when I picked a pretty stupid fight with Oblong the 1st time I ventured into the poli forum, but he was cooler about it than I was....

And some of the trick here is just that there are people here that have known each other so long that it is easy for other people to misread what they post to each other. It's easy for new posters to think the standard on the board is less civil than it actually is because so many people here are kidding each other all time or posting in some of the board's established metaphorical shorthand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most internet message boards aren't very welcoming to new people, been that way for years it's one reason they're all stale or dying.    

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Most internet message boards aren't very welcoming to new people, been that way for years it's one reason they're all stale or dying.    

 

 

Internet message boards are dying because there are so many different social media options which people find easier to use than message boards.  

As far as this board goes, most of us are here to have quality discussion about baseball.  If new people contribute to that, then they are typically well received.  If they come here to talk casually about the game, they will probably not get much reaction one way or the other.  If people come here to stir up ****, they won't be well received.   There is some snark here, but it's one of the more civilized sports discussion boards I have seen.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto that Lee

Plus I think those media preferences are also partially generational. I think many here are old enough to have begun their online lives when virtually all fora were moderated and for them/us it's the more constructive environment. I don't think moderated fora are as attractive to younger fans. Primarily in moderated fora you have to invest the time to learn the culture and I don't think that is worth it to a lot of hit and run web posters who might otherwise have ended up sticking around. But who knows, as time goes by that culture may also change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 2:55 PM, pyrotigers said:

I'm here for two things. Serious baseball discussion and being nice to new posters, and I'm all out of being nice to new posters! 

and bubble gum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Internet message boards are dying because there are so many different social media options which people find easier to use than message boards.  

As far as this board goes, most of us are here to have quality discussion about baseball.  If new people contribute to that, then they are typically well received.  If they come here to talk casually about the game, they will probably not get much reaction one way or the other.  If people come here to stir up ****, they won't be well received.   There is some snark here, but it's one of the more civilized sports discussion boards I have seen.  

 

I agree with Lee here....I've been accused of being part of the clique sometimes, and I've had some battles with some long-timers too. 

I think individuals get reputations largely based on their substance/tone, but also for how they handle conflict.  That's pretty much how the world works in general.  MTS is actually pretty forgiving, and very welcoming to new posters, as long as they don't come in and beat the **** out of people right off the bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 3:11 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

meh - rites of passage. I hadn't been long when I picked a pretty stupid fight with Oblong the 1st time I ventured into the poli forum, but he was cooler about it than I was....

And some of the trick here is just that there are people here that have known each other so long that it is easy for other people to misread what they post to each other. It's easy for new posters to think the standard on the board is less civil than it actually is because so many people here are kidding each other all time or posting in some of the board's established metaphorical shorthand.

I always feel warm when somebody says "**** you sabre" in place of "you are so cool"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on a flight from Austin to Chicago, and I have laughed out loud at about a dozen posts on these last couple of pages.  I might be on the 11 o'clock news tonight getting dragged off at O"Hare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 1:47 PM, Casimir said:

With all due respect, sir,......  Your avatar is awfully darn amusing within the context of the current discussion.  Especially the bolded sentence.

I thought the same thing!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      95,755
    • Total Posts
      2,763,953
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×