DumberAndLeaner

Gardenhire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ausmus

Okay I'll admit it, this is somewhat of a troll thread because I know how some of you nu skewell guys feel about Gardenhire and his ANALytic illiteracy, but you gotta admit, the boys are playing inspired baseball of the sort we haven't seen in a while.   You might even call them "scrappy" .

Go ahead now, pile-on, I can take it. 

I wish the Tigers had hired Gardenhire before now. The players apparently like him from what I’ve read. He seems to be a really good fit for the organization’s situation right now. 

I said elsewhere that it's hard to really judge this team so far simply because of the weather.  We're going on 2 weeks of abnormal baseball.  It's hard to hit and pitch in this and obviously both teams have to play in it but in terms of evaluation I think it's difficult to use this as any indicator.

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I said elsewhere that it's hard to really judge this team so far simply because of the weather.  We're going on 2 weeks of abnormal baseball.  It's hard to hit and pitch in this and obviously both teams have to play in it but in terms of evaluation I think it's difficult to use this as any indicator.

Aside from the weather, its just difficult to judge any baseball team off of 8 games.  This might as well be the zenith of the season.

Gardenhire also has the distinct advantage of having a better pitching coach on staff.  

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Aside from the weather, its just difficult to judge any baseball team off of 8 games.  This might as well be the zenith of the season.

We were 7-3 after 10 games last season and we all know how that ended.

We're supposed to trust the idiot who kept Brad here well beyond his expiration date to make the proper trades and to draft properly. And if he doesn't? All of our stars are gone, losing for nothing and add 7 more years to the rebuild. But..at least it will warm up someday.

53 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Gardenhire also has the distinct advantage of having a better pitching coach on staff.  

This

11 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Okay I'll admit it, this is somewhat of a troll thread because I know how some of you nu skewell guys feel about Gardenhire and his ANALytic illiteracy, but you gotta admit, the boys are playing inspired baseball of the sort we haven't seen in a while.   You might even call them "scrappy" .

Go ahead now, pile-on, I can take it. 

It’s funny how you highlighted the word “anal.” 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We're supposed to trust the idiot who kept Brad here well beyond his expiration date to make the proper trades and to draft properly. And if he doesn't? All of our stars are gone, losing for nothing and add 7 more years to the rebuild. But..at least it will warm up someday.

Its been flurrying in NW Ohio for 5 hours now.  Its not accumulating.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

This time they are scrappy and never quit even when they spend the week playing the worst teams in baseball.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

This time they are scrappy and never quit even when they spend the week playing the worst teams in baseball.  

You had your fan hat on for the 1st half of that sentence.....keep it on for a while, it's more fun.

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

You had your fan hat on for the 1st half of that sentence.....keep it on for a while, it's more fun.

Baseball is always fun.  Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time following it.  I am just not going to be a Gardenhire cheerleader after a 4-4 start.   

• Like 1

I don't think much of Gardy wrt analytics and progressive thinking. I will give him credit for throwing Jiminez into the fire as the 8th inning guy and not reflexively going to Wilson fwiw.

Didn't the Tigers win a bunch of games late last year or did I imagine that 

Also ausmus was bad 

51 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Didn't the Tigers win a bunch of games late last year or did I imagine that 

Also ausmus was bad 

I would guess that you are imagining that. I think they won only 5 games in September or something ridiculous like that to achieve the impossible dream of picking first overall.

19 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would guess that you are imagining that. I think they won only 5 games in September or something ridiculous like that to achieve the impossible dream of picking first overall.

Hey, they won like 17 of their last 58 games... That's a bunch of games. It's not a great percentage, but uhh... It's a metric bunch.

When they trade Fulmer and Greene, we'll win 5 games total in August and September.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

I don't think much of Gardy wrt analytics and progressive thinking. I will give him credit for throwing Jiminez into the fire as the 8th inning guy and not reflexively going to Wilson fwiw.

The one potentially positive thing about Gardenhire is he has generally had good bullpen performance on his teams.  I don't know if that's because of him, but that is an area where a manager might be able to make a small impact.    

29 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Tank was a great movie.

I went to HS with someone that's in that movie.