Keepleyland2

4/8@2:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

So far, I find this team a lot more likable than the crew from last season.  Wish JV was still part of it, though.

• Sad 1

1 game out of the lead, 1 game out of the wildcard!  Who would have believed it, this deep into the season?

• Like 3

Gardy considers moving Machado to the second spot in the order.  Well duh, he plays second base so of course he should follow the compulsory leadoff hitter, the center fielder.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/04/07/gardenhire-weighs-moving-machado-tigers-order/33640061/

I was being sarcastic there in the first paragraph, Gardenhire's comments are entirely sensible.  I hope that you realize how much it cost me, emotionally, to say that.

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who is off the 25 man roster to make room for Tire Fiers?  

Warwick Davis

• Like 1

The FSD broadcast made mention of Norris moving quicker through his on mound presence, as far as getting the ball, getting get, and pitching. Maybe there is a bit of analysis paralysis with him and he needs to not overthink things?  I don’t know, tough to tell from just one outing.

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

So far, I find this team a lot more likable than the crew from last season.  Wish JV was still part of it, though.

Yeah, moving the rest of the guys that they moved wasn’t a big deal.  The Verlander deal, though, that’s a tough one to overcome.  I get the return and the direction of the team and all of that.

24 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The FSD broadcast made mention of Norris moving quicker through his on mound presence, as far as getting the ball, getting get, and pitching. Maybe there is a bit of analysis paralysis with him and he needs to not overthink things?  I don’t know, tough to tell from just one outing.

LOL - Seems hard to figure you would help a guy who is out of control by speeding him up, but I'd guess they've tried everything else by now so why not?

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Seems hard to figure you would help a guy who is out of control by speeding him up, but I'd guess they've tried everything else by now so why not?

It does seem contrary to the norm, but, like you said, maybe they’ve tried everything else?

Jacoby hit 2 HRs off Lopez on the Show for me yesterday, I wonder if that is good enough for him to bat leadoff today in Gardy's eyes?

41 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Watch them get to .500 on the way to the post season.

👀 

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

This is a Bosio thing.  I've read that he wants his pitchers to find an attack tempo that they're comfortable with.

Sending Saupold down is interesting.  I guess they've decided that Norris deserves to stick with the big club, which he does.  Since it probably doesn't really matter to the Tigers' short or long-term plans if Norris is a starter, that should be fine.

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

Warwick Davis

I would have (yes, we use "have" there, not "of") sent down Ver Jr (Verhagen). But I guess now Norris replaces Saupp as the long man so Saupp got to go. I just hope Saupp stays out of fights in Toledo. Back in '16 he was suspended for the remainder of the year after a bar fight.

If he hangs with The Deuce he should be OK.

I predict here and now that Ver Jr is replaced by Barbato by the end of this month. (That's really putting myself out there, isn't it?)

14 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

1 game out of the lead, 1 game out of the wildcard!  Who would have believed it, this deep into the season?

You'll keep us all grounded this season with your humor. You make me lol in every GDT but your Vagicil Field was an instant classic. My 1st reaction to it was "it was named after a pickle?" until I read it again. Then I actually looked it up to see if naming rights had been sold somewhere. You got me, really good. 😁😁😁

17 hours ago, Casimir said:

giphy.gif

Are we advocating for a nickname of Tire or Dumpster for today's starter?

2 hours ago, brideck said:

This is a Bosio thing.  I've read that he wants his pitchers to find an attack tempo that they're comfortable with.

Sending Saupold down is interesting.  I guess they've decided that Norris deserves to stick with the big club, which he does.  Since it probably doesn't really matter to the Tigers' short or long-term plans if Norris is a starter, that should be fine.

Norris is still pretty young. 25 years old in a couple of weeks. I could see him as a SP during/after our rebuild. I actually like him better than a couple of current Tiger SP.

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Norris is still pretty young. 25 years old in a couple of weeks. I could see him as a SP during/after our rebuild. I actually like him better than a couple of current Tiger SP.

Well, sure.  In an ideal world, he'd be in the rotation instead of Zimmermann given the player development goals this year.  I'm not exactly sure why they've consistently been giving Boyd a spot either, given that he and Norris have similar resumes.

That's why the Liriano acquisition was so odd to me -- that pretty much stated that they didn't want both Boyd and Norris in the rotation, at least at the start of the year.

Liriano acquisition was about hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and then sell him off at the deadline for a prospect.

Plus pitcher injuries / general ineffectiveness are/is common enough that 6 starters is close to a necessity.

Based on that inning Fiers should be our closer after Green is traded.