Keepleyland2

4/7@2:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

49 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Imagine if there were no radio, no television, no internet .. then imagine Major League Baseball.

112431.jpg

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Call balls and strikes electronically on the spot.  Screw instant replay.  It takes too much time and adds little to the game.  .  

It would even be a nice improvement to just give the umpire an electronic assist on inside/outside, which would be trivially easy to implement and where there should never be any ambiguity, even if the purists want to leave high and low to the umpire's discretion given that that almost any electronic   system for up and down would probably result in a lot of change some some players compared to just cleaning up inside/outside.

Of course what is so frustrating about replay is that it can work very well. Thursday when Iglesias was called out at second it was a pretty obvious miss and they corrected it quickly.

• Like 1

Daren Willman of MLB tweeted that Cabrera's two run single was the hardest ball Cabrera has hit since 2015.  I am enthused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Imagine if there were no radio, no television, no internet .. then imagine Major League Baseball.

What’s your point?

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What’s your point?

We wouldn’t know how cold it was at the game.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

The irony of this is that if you didn’t spend the money, the players would make less. It’s all your fault. 

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

36 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What’s your point?

Clearly .. my point was that radio, television, and internet generate (contribute) far greater revenue to the sport than anything else.

Thus .. Blame it on electronics.

Just now, Tigrrfan said:

Clearly .. my point was that radio, television, and internet generate (contribute) far greater revenue to the sport than anything else.

Thus .. Blame it on electronics.

And they generate revenue because people watch and listen. Stop being a fan and the players will make less. 

1 hour ago, CMRivdog said:

Do I have the same right if I patronize your employer?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

I believe that every fan ..who has purchased anything at all that contributes toward a player's financial prosperity ..has a right to make a comment about that financial prosperity.

The value of any goods or service is whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Owners are making a ton of money (because people are willingly paying them), and players deserve their cut. That is how every business with employees works. The cycle keeps happening because it works. 

I don't really care how much players are paid. The people paying them are rich. The players are rich. Who cares? It motivates the very best athletes to play pro sports, beyond that, what does it matter? If the players made far less money, I doubt the owners would suddenly decide to make beer and popcorn free to the fans. It would just be some other rich guys being a little richer.

There are lots of people I think are "overpaid" in the world, but as long as a company can be successful paying them that much, they'll remain so. And unlike most other fields, there is an expectation of only the most elite employees and high competition between "companies", so the best employees can demand a high premium.

I guess it would be nice if this was true in all fields, but I'm not going to begrudge MLB players for taking advantage of it just because I can't sign with a rival accounting firm for a huge 8 year contract even though I'm heading into my decline years.

10 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I don't really care how much players are paid.

Neither do I.  Let the owner's pay them as much as they want.

Just be prepared to expect a lot of losing when an owner decides to stop spending big money.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Neither do I.  Let the owner's pay them as much as they want.

Just be prepared to expect a lot of losing when an owner decides to stop spending big money.

Just as we had lots of losing when he was spending the big $$.

The way I see it everything would be the same for us fans whether the players made 100K a year or 10 million, the only difference would be all the extra money would be going into the owner's pockets instead.   

The Tigers are still spending big money though, the problem is they spent it in a stupid fashion and ruined the team.

My complaint is that the management was bad, not that they're in an austerity program.

If they hadn't given Zimmermann his crazy contract, that alone would have freed them up to make a ton more moves.

14 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I don't really care how much players are paid. The people paying them are rich. The players are rich. Who cares? It motivates the very best athletes to play pro sports, beyond that, what does it matter? If the players made far less money, I doubt the owners would suddenly decide to make beer and popcorn free to the fans. It would just be some other rich guys being a little richer.

There are lots of people I think are "overpaid" in the world, but as long as a company can be successful paying them that much, they'll remain so. And unlike most other fields, there is an expectation of only the most elite employees and high competition between "companies", so the best employees can demand a high premium.

I guess it would be nice if this was true in all fields, but I'm not going to begrudge MLB players for taking advantage of it just because I can't sign with a rival accounting firm for a huge 8 year contract even though I'm heading into my decline years.

Many of us will remain fans whether they win or not. I'll probably still go to 5 or so games a season. But my questions are about tickets. Will they be cheaper with a smaller payroll and while rebuilding? Or are they staying high, only to get raised again when they start contendeding? I realize most of their money comes from TV,  radio and merchandise. But shouldn't they give the fans a break with a AAA team out there?

The Tigers are oddly playing well so far this season. Their record should even be better than it is.

9 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

The Tigers are still spending big money though, the problem is they spent it in a stupid fashion and ruined the team.

My complaint is that the management was bad, not that they're in an austerity program.

If they hadn't given Zimmermann his crazy contract, that alone would have freed them up to make a ton more moves.

That’s my biggest issue with the Tiger payroll over the years.  Too much overspend on free agents that led to a lack of salary flexibility.

I drove up from TN and listened to the White Sox radio feed for awhile until my at bat signal got sorted out.  They weren't half bad.  They did a good job at introducing the listener to the new TIger players and their tendencies.