Keepleyland2

4/5 @4:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But the weather is not normal anymore.

I've got Frank on line 2.  How'ya doin' Frank?

This is what we are left with since Assmus is gone.

On the bright side, minor league baseball kicks off tonight.  Only 1 of the 3 Tiger affiliate games is likely to be snowed out.  (Hint: It's not the one in Lakeland.)

I don't know what the Midwest League is thinking.  The southern cities like South Bend should have the home games this early in the season.

• Like 1

If forced to guess, MLB does a objectively good job overall running the enterprise.

I suspect there are far, far more moving parts than is understood / recognized by those outside of it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

High school baseball started their season as well.  What are they thinking?

College has been playing since mid February. Love that I can attend a baseball game in February but hate the days that are cold! 

5 minutes ago, brideck said:

On the bright side, minor league baseball kicks off tonight.  Only 1 of the 3 Tiger affiliate games is likely to be snowed out.  (Hint: It's not the one in Lakeland.)

I don't know what the Midwest League is thinking.  The southern cities like South Bend should have the home games this early in the season.

Bravo!

Also any weather/climate that further delays Zimmerman starts is welcomed.

1 hour ago, brideck said:

My wife and I hold tickets for Saturday and Sunday games in Salibury, MD this weekend...Minor league game between the Asheville Tourists and Delmarva Shorebirds. Rain and snow is almost assured for Saturday. Playing it by ear right now and hoping for a DH on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that actually is not such a bad idea - play a series or two of real games for the exhibition fans - at least in FLA where there aren't that many teams anymore - it would probably over-saturate the market in AR.

This was my horrible idea from a few years ago. Pretty simple, actually. Build a huge baseball complex out in Arizona. Schedule all the teams for the first month of the season out there. And then schedule the postseason out there. That way you can go ahead and play the World Series in November. And you could play a full schedule starting in early March. No worries of snow, just sunburns. 😁

3 hours ago, Dtfan4life said:

Today we bemoan the cold weather in March and April, what will we be saying in October and November? The season just keeps getting longer. It has happened in every sport. Not a problem for indoor sports (bball, hockey, bowling) or sports that  don't have a set venue (golf) or sports that just don't care (football, soccer). Maybe MLB just doesn't care as long as they make $$$$.

And we have a winner. Money is all that matters.

Tigers lineup: 1. Leonys Martin, CF; 2. Jeimer Candelario, 3B; 3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B; 4. Nicholas Castellanos, RF; 5. Victor Martinez, DH; 6. James McCann, C; 7. Mikie Mahtook, LF; 8. Jose Iglesias, SS; 9. Dixon Machado, 2B

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

This was my horrible idea from a few years ago. Pretty simple, actually. Build a huge baseball complex out in Arizona. Schedule all the teams for the first month of the season out there. And then schedule the postseason out there. That way you can go ahead and play the World Series in November. And you could play a full schedule starting in early March. No worries of snow, just sunburns. 😁

Whitey Herzog proposed this very idea in his book (written in 1998 if I remember correctly).  The only difference is he recommended building it in southern Tennesee.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Whitey Herzog proposed this very idea in his book (written in 1998 if I remember correctly).  The only difference is he recommended building it in southern Tennesee.

Yeah, visionaries like Whitey and me are way ahead of our time. 😁

It looks like Chicago may be getting some nasty weather about 4 or 5 PM. Why didn't they schedule a 1 PM game?

They should play April games in Vancouver under a dome of cherry blossoms.

25463376180_5966c2eab1_k_23cf941f-79d4-4

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

They should play April games in Vancouver under a dome of cherry blossoms.

25463376180_5966c2eab1_k_23cf941f-79d4-4

Nice.

35 minutes ago, kdog said:

Let's talk weather.

46. May be a bit of a wintery mix heading in the last couple innings but should hold off until the end. 

47 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It looks like Chicago may be getting some nasty weather about 4 or 5 PM. Why didn't they schedule a 1 PM game?

I don't think they knew back in January what time the precipitation would hit. 

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

So why didn't you look at 20 years?  Why only 9?

Because that's all I had time for at that moment.  

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I don't think they knew back in January what time the precipitation would hit. 

Common sense wasn't used when the schedule was made? Start at 1:00 PM so if there's a delay, they could still get a game in. Or just make millions of extra dollars from the fans. 😂