Keepleyland2

4/5 @4:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

I know it's not ever year, but your chances are better by April 10th.   As far as the good weather/dome cities go and this idea that they get screwed by having more games early, I am not talking about the entire month of April, just the first 2 weeks.   In the second 2 weeks the northern/eastern cities face the same issues - kids are in school.       This year's schedule was just a bad idea.     the real solution (reducing games back to 154 ) will never ever happen, but they have to do better than this.   

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But we are talking average temperatures of 50 and 55, not 35 and 40.

But don't misuse the stats either. More than 30% of the time the temp is more than 1 std dev from the average.

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here's the thing.............Why can't they be moving to moving a game UP.   Last night seeing that it's going to be sunny at 1pm, 2pm  but the rain starts at 4pm..........and then snow.    

I’m guessing the players union has a say in this? I know they change game times for TV but don’t know that moving game times up or down for weather would be frowned upon. I could see teams using this option to their advantage in given situations. Pitcher availability, travel schedules, etc.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd suggest 35 to 40 is trivial.

IDK, mostly anymore my outdoor activity is biking and I do find 40F a real crossover point. YMMV.

I would say to argue that 2 weeks in the Spring in the north makes an insignificant difference to the weather is pretty much a denial of basic reality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I sometimes get the sense MTS thinks he is hosting a call in talk show when he posts.

If so, he’s getting a lot of calls this morning. The most active same day game thread at this hour in a while.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But don't misuse the stats either. More than 30% of the time the temp is more than 1 std dev from the average.

That's true.  We ain't talking San Diego normal temperature range.

But to say the weather is annually unplayable from March 29 through April 10 is foolish.

I am just waiting to go to the dentist.    I am getting a root canal.     Trust me,  never has anyone looked more forward to getting a root canal because this ************ hurts,  so I am quite grumpy.    But yes, in general Spring can warm up fairly quickly.   Just asking baseball to go with the averages here.   This year is pretty awful, but look ahead because right after April 10th this year, it will be getting in to the 50s, which is about the time it starts to warm up quickly most years.       I know the players wanted more days off, don't we all, but they probably won't get them anyway, and this will hurt the northern eastern teams later in the year.     You know the difference between the Tigers taking the AL Central and missing the playoffs might come down to them being fatigued later on.    Facts is Facts, look at the stats this year - we've got 3 Cy Young Candidates.   

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not recently.      There's an exception or two, but there is a difference.  

March 29th Weather in Detroit
2018 - Rain 45
2017 - Sunny 55
2016 - Sunny 46
2015 - Sunny 45
2014 - Cloudy 37
2013 - Sunny 54
2012 - Cloudy 43
2011 - Partly Sunny 43
2010 - Cloudy 48

April 10th Weather in Detroit
2018 - (FORECAST) Rain/Snow 44 degrees (but warming into the 50s immediately after)
2017 - Sunny, 75 20 degrees warmer
2016 - Cloudy 32 14 degrees colder
2015 - Sunny 57 12 degrees warmer
2014 - Sunny 72 35 degrees warmer
2013 - Partly Sunny 43 11 degrees colder
2012 - Party Sunny 45 2 degrees warmer
2011 - Sunny 81 38 degrees warmer
2010 - Sunny 68 20 degerees warmer

Again, you are looking at the warmer/colder incorrectly.  You should be looking at it versus normal temps.  You do know this, but it doesn't satisfy the logic that you are flailing with.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I am just waiting to go to the dentist.    I am getting a root canal.     Trust me,  never has anyone looked more forward to getting a root canal because this ************ hurts,  so I am quite grumpy.    But yes, in general Spring can warm up fairly quickly.   Just asking baseball to go with the averages here.   This year is pretty awful, but look ahead because right after April 10th this year, it will be getting in to the 50s, which is about the time it starts to warm up quickly most years.       I know the players wanted more days off, don't we all, but they probably won't get them anyway, and this will hurt the northern eastern teams later in the year.     You know the difference between the Tigers taking the AL Central and missing the playoffs might come down to them being fatigued later on.    Facts is Faces, look at the stats this year - we've got 3 Cy Young Candidates.   

I'd suggest that you aren't looking at the averages or the facts.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd suggest 35 to 40 is trivial.

Yes, because everyone starts getting numb below 55.

Just now, Casimir said:

Again, you are looking at the warmer/colder incorrectly.  You should be looking at it versus normal temps.  You do know this, but it doesn't satisfy the logic that you are flailing with.

But the weather is not normal anymore.   You can't compare the last 20 years to anything historical anymore.   Remember when the lakes used to freeze over pretty much every year?    Not so much recently.     We had a long stretch of winters where it never really got cold.   We had several winters in the last 20 years where the lakes didn't freeze over around here.  

****’uva game thread going here.

None of this matters anyway,  the Lions are getting Gronk and they will win the Super Bowl now.    Quinn's a genius.   Does he know Sabermetics?  

Is this where we discuss global warming?

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

But the weather is not normal anymore.   You can't compare the last 20 years to anything historical anymore.   Remember when the lakes used to freeze over pretty much every year?    Not so much recently.     We had a long stretch of winters where it never really got cold.   We had several winters in the last 20 years where the lakes didn't freeze over around here.  

So what does MLB go by when scheduling these games?  Did you see the weather for the Baltimore and New York series?  All below average for games after April 10.  Most have chances of precipitation which you still fail to acknowledge as the real reason these games have been cancelled rather than the temperature.

Heck, let's take it further.  All playoff games should be in San Diego or Hawaii.

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Is this where we discuss global warming?

BYOBlankets.  It's cold out there.

Instead of spinning wheels on the weather we need to discuss meaninful topics such as-

when will the 10 year yield hit 3% and hold it? 

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not recently.      There's an exception or two, but there is a difference.  

March 29th Weather in Detroit
2018 - Rain 45
2017 - Sunny 55
2016 - Sunny 46
2015 - Sunny 45
2014 - Cloudy 37
2013 - Sunny 54
2012 - Cloudy 43
2011 - Partly Sunny 43
2010 - Cloudy 48

April 10th Weather in Detroit
2018 - (FORECAST) Rain/Snow 44 degrees (but warming into the 50s immediately after)
2017 - Sunny, 75 20 degrees warmer
2016 - Cloudy 32 14 degrees colder
2015 - Sunny 57 12 degrees warmer
2014 - Sunny 72 35 degrees warmer
2013 - Partly Sunny 43 11 degrees colder
2012 - Party Sunny 45 2 degrees warmer
2011 - Sunny 81 38 degrees warmer
2010 - Sunny 68 20 degerees warmer

So here is another question for you.  How is MLB supposed to know which years to schedule April 10th games in Detroit and which ones should be scheduled more south?  You have this all figured out, so go ahead and tell us how you know which April 10s are going to be baseball playing weather in Detroit.  Because in your (small) 9 year sample size above, there are 3 days in the mid 40s and 1 at freezing.  1 at normal.  The rest are pretty darned nice, we really do need to figure out how to do that more often.

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know it's not ever year, but your chances are better by April 10th.

And your chances are better May 10.  And worse March 20.

The question isn't whether or not your chances are better or worse.

The question is how best to spread out the season and accomplish all the things the league wishes to accomplish while striking a balance between its many constituents.

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So why didn't you look at 20 years?  Why only 9?

33 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't know as that he mis-used any stat.

Besides, being inside of one standard deviation something around 65% of the time seems a reasonable assumption for the purposes of schedule planning 6 months in advance.

Today we bemoan the cold weather in March and April, what will we be saying in October and November? The season just keeps getting longer. It has happened in every sport. Not a problem for indoor sports (bball, hockey, bowling) or sports that  don't have a set venue (golf) or sports that just don't care (football, soccer). Maybe MLB just doesn't care as long as they make $$$$.

• Like 2

First time caller, long time listener to climate talk.

• Haha 2