Jump to content

Keepleyland2

4/5 @4:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

Recommended Posts


First game of the year at Vagicil Field.  I just dread these games - when I open up Gameday for a game in Chicago vs. the Dix I could swear that I can smell urine.  The Dix should get a nice turnout for a day game, because their fans don't have jobs.

This game is just huge, huge, for the pennant race implications.  The Tigers are currently 2 games behind the Dix, so they could draw even by winning the first 2.  God, I love a pennant race - this is the most exciting one in years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the three teams that I despise the most in baseball are the Red Sux, Yankees, and White Sux. The White Sux are so easy to hate. Maybe I’ll use the word abhor.

Nice photo to start the thread. 1991 was the year we first made the pilgrimage to the late and great Tiger Stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This one is getting rain/snowed out too..............because MLB is stupid. 

This is an understatement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to wait until 4pm for the game today?  Dude....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This one is getting rain/snowed out too..............because MLB is stupid. 

This still?  Have a prune and go feed your cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only MLB held off until April 10 to play game in northern cities, they would never have games called due to inclement weather.

Also, teams should call games more than 4 hours before they start, but also have the ability to move game start times 1 hour to squeeze a game in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Casimir said:

We have to wait until 4pm for the game today?  Dude....

Here's the thing.............Why can't they be moving to moving a game UP.   Last night seeing that it's going to be sunny at 1pm, 2pm  but the rain starts at 4pm..........and then snow.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here's the thing.............Why can't they be moving to moving a game UP.   Last night seeing that it's going to be sunny at 1pm, 2pm  but the rain starts at 4pm..........and then snow.    

Here's the thing.  The postponements have been due to precipitation.  How does one prepare a schedule to accommodate daily precipitation chances?  You keep wankering about temperatures.  Its apples and oranges here.

Eh, whatever.  You keep doing you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If only MLB held off until April 10 to play game in northern cities, they would never have games called due to inclement weather.

Also, teams should call games more than 4 hours before they start, but also have the ability to move game start times 1 hour to squeeze a game in.

Should'of just stayed in Lakeland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Here's the thing.  The postponements have been due to precipitation.  How does one prepare a schedule to accommodate daily precipitation chances?  You keep wankering about temperatures.  Its apples and oranges here.

Eh, whatever.  You keep doing you.

And those off days they covet so much are going away and those doubleheaders that they despise are getting scheduled anyway.     This March thing was stupid.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here's the thing.............Why can't they be moving to moving a game UP. 

Because people bought tickets for a given start time, and moving up the start would negatively impact many, if not most, purchasers of tickets.

TV and radio sets aside a block of time to broadcast the game, they can't change their schedule last minute. 

Workers at the stadium have a schedule and moving up a game means they have to come in early, and that may not be possible for some of them.

Don't know if the players or umpire union allows for moving up game times.

 

Other than potentially not working well with all of the principles involved in the enterprise, it is a great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the difference in the weather between March 29th and April 10th in this area.  There is usually a measurable difference.    Not this year so much, but most years.     Hey, but that's okay,  MLB is so smart,  they're not losing thousands of fans a year or anything.   Their median age is creeping out of the coveted 25-54 demo as they lose touch with young fans -   why would we want to improve the experience or anything?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And those off days they covet so much are going away and those doubleheaders that they despise are getting scheduled anyway.     This March thing was stupid.    

Because March 30 is significantly different than April 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And those off days they covet so much are going away and those doubleheaders that they despise are getting scheduled anyway.     This March thing was stupid.    

How does one predict daily precipitation on a daily basis when these schedules are put together?  It needs to be a bit more thoughtful than just saying the north is cold and wet through April 10th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Look at the difference in the weather between March 29th and April 10th in this area.  There is usually a measurable difference.    Not this year so much, but most years.     Hey, but that's okay,  MLB is so smart,  they're not losing thousands of fans a year or anything.   Their median age is creeping out of the coveted 25-54 demo as they lose touch with young fans -   why would we want to improve the experience or anything?  

 

If only they would hold off the start of the season a few weeks, those thousands of fans would return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Should'of just stayed in Lakeland.

that actually is not such a bad idea - play a series or two of real games for the exhibition fans - at least in FLA where there aren't that many teams anymore - it would probably over-saturate the market in AR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Look at the difference in the weather between March 29th and April 10th in this area.  There is usually a measurable difference.    Not this year so much, but most years.     Hey, but that's okay,  MLB is so smart,  they're not losing thousands of fans a year or anything.   Their median age is creeping out of the coveted 25-54 demo as they lose touch with young fans -   why would we want to improve the experience or anything?  

 

No, there isn't.  I found the data and posted it for you, but it doesn't reflect your thoughts, so you didn't acknowledge it.  There is a menial difference of 4 or 5 degrees between March 29 and April 10 in this area.  Go ahead, check it out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not recently.      There's an exception or two, but there is a difference.  

 

March 29th Weather in Detroit
2018 - Rain 45
2017 - Sunny 55
2016 - Sunny 46
2015 - Sunny 45
2014 - Cloudy 37
2013 - Sunny 54
2012 - Cloudy 43
2011 - Partly Sunny 43
2010 - Cloudy 48

April 10th Weather in Detroit
2018 - (FORECAST) Rain/Snow 44 degrees (but warming into the 50s immediately after)
2017 - Sunny, 75 20 degrees warmer
2016 - Cloudy 32 14 degrees colder
2015 - Sunny 57 12 degrees warmer
2014 - Sunny 72 35 degrees warmer
2013 - Partly Sunny 43 11 degrees colder
2012 - Party Sunny 45 2 degrees warmer
2011 - Sunny 81 38 degrees warmer
2010 - Sunny 68 20 degerees warmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And those off days they covet so much are going away and those doubleheaders that they despise are getting scheduled anyway.     This March thing was stupid.    

Exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

No, there isn't.  I found the data and posted it for you, but it doesn't reflect your thoughts, so you didn't acknowledge it.  There is a menial difference of 4 or 5 degrees between March 29 and April 10 in this area.  Go ahead, check it out.  

Of course, 5 is pretty trivial between 50 and 55F, not so trivial between 35 and 40F.

Or IOW, 5 degrees can matter when you get to where you are in the range where you have to cover your hands for them to keep working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Of course, 5 is pretty trivial between 50 and 55F, not so trivial between 35 and 40F

But we are talking average temperatures of 50 and 55, not 35 and 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×