Ok. So the Tigers are 1-4, 1.5 games out of first place. There isn't a single statistical element one can reasonably address about the team based on the data sample size available. Nevertheless, I would like to point out that the Tigers have the 2nd best run differential to date in the American League Central at -2. Further, they haven't lost any road games!!! :D

runs.jpg

I’m impressed. It only took the Tigers five games to take sole possession of last place.

10 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I’m impressed. It only took the Tigers five games to take sole possession of last place.

And on a homestand no less. That takes talent.

Happy with the starting pitching so far, but when it's so cold it hurts to hit the ball, they might have an advantage.   

Please with Miggy and Nick's start.   Not worried about Candy's low BA because he's drawing walks.    Dixon Machado has been better than expected.    Iggy's off to a painfully slow start (hitting wise).   Mikie seems to have a lot of bad luck.    If Leonys Martin doesn't start hitting maybe JaCoby gets to play a bit more..........we'll see if he's improved.    JZ's ERA might be 6, but I thought he pitched well.   

17 hours ago, wockenfussy said:

Ok. So the Tigers are 1-4, 1.5 games out of first place. There isn't a single statistical element one can reasonably address about the team based on the data sample size available. Nevertheless, I would like to point out that the Tigers have the 2nd best run differential to date in the American League Central at -2. Further, they haven't lost any road games!!! :D

runs.jpg

Those two 1-0 losses help -- or hurt, depending on what side of the argument you're on.  One blowout win and four close losses makes that differential pretty respectable.  The run scored looks good as well, until you consider that almost half came in one game--that they lost.

The Tigers are playing the division leading White Sox -- the Tigers could be in first place by the weekend!  

~k

On 4/5/2018 at 10:48 AM, Kari Smith said:

Those two 1-0 losses help -- or hurt, depending on what side of the argument you're on.  One blowout win and four close losses makes that differential pretty respectable.  The run scored looks good as well, until you consider that almost half came in one game--that they lost.

The Tigers are playing the division leading White Sox -- the Tigers could be in first place by the weekend!  

~k

Booyah!  That sweep of Chicago makes me look good.

The Tigers are totally feast-or-famine right now, though.  5 games in which they scored 6+ runs and 4 games in which they scored 2 or less (including being shut out three times already).

We'll see if the bats start to warm up a bit more and/or the pitching becomes more consistent -- good, that is.  :)

~K

I didn't watch last night's game, but it's another game in which the Tigers scored 2 runs or less. 

For me, I'm cautiously encouraged that the pitching is doing well, recently.  I mean, the Tigers have only allowed 1, 0, 2, and 2 runs in their last four.  Unfortunately, they've only won half those games.  :/

Do you think the better pitching is just weather-related, or Chris Bosio's influence?  Hopefully this is a trend and not an outlier.  

~K

I look at the hitting line up and think they are under performing BIGTIME right now (2nd to last place in ALL the biggs in OPS), but I also think the same about the pitching in the opposite direction (11th in team ERA in all the biggs).  The pitching will revert to what it is JUST in time for the hitting to revert to what IT is and we can start losing games the way I expected this year....8-9, 12-15 etc etc.  Less precision, but more exciting way to lose.

59 minutes ago, Kari Smith said:

I didn't watch last night's game, but it's another game in which the Tigers scored 2 runs or less. 

For me, I'm cautiously encouraged that the pitching is doing well, recently.  I mean, the Tigers have only allowed 1, 0, 2, and 2 runs in their last four.  Unfortunately, they've only won half those games.  :/

Do you think the better pitching is just weather-related, or Chris Bosio's influence?  Hopefully this is a trend and not an outlier.  

~K

I think some of the pitching result is not that unexpected - Boyd has been learning his craft and steadily finding more consistency, he looks like he's turning into a reasonable middle of the rotation guy. Fulmer is supposed to be good, Fiers did make a major contribution to last years WS winner. We probably have been lucky with Liriano, who will probably blow hot and cold over the season. VerHagen was expected to be better last year but wasn't . Either we are just being lucky with him or he was just a little slower  coming back from his surgery than some.

12 hours ago, Kari Smith said:

~K

I'm taking weather over Chris Bosio right now.  I want to see some games south of the Arctic Circle before I give Chris too much credit.  But I liked Boyd's pitch count last night, he averaged 14 and change through 7 innings.  That's a huge improvement over averaging 20 to get through 5 innings, which was a typical outing last year.  So if Chris Bosio has anything to do with that, I say double his salary.