Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

March 31-April 7, 2018 Combined Game Thread

51Me+556mOL.jpg

March 31 - Ottawa, 2:00pm

April 3 - @ Columbus, 7:00pm

April 5 - Montreal, 7:30pm

April 7 - NYI, 7:00pm

Wings lead Ottawa 1-0 after 2. A win today and the Wings would all be assured of not finishing in the bottom 3. Looking more and more like they'll finish 6th worst overall.

Larkin with his 59th point on  a goal assisted by Mantha with his 46th point.

They can’t rebuild on the fly right, and they can’t tank right. 

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

They can’t rebuild on the fly right, and they can’t tank right. 

Canucks tried hard to tank, blowing a 4-1 lead with 4 minutes to go, at home. But won 5-4 in OT. Canucks and Montreal are the 2 teams that could still pass the Wings.

Wings #1 pick from last year - Michael Rasmussen, #9 overall - scored 12 points in a 4-game sweep by Tri-City of Kelowna this week in the 1st round of the WHL playoffs.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:11 PM, lordstanley said:

Wings #1 pick from last year - Michael Rasmussen, #9 overall - scored 12 points in a 4-game sweep by Tri-City of Kelowna this week in the 1st round of the WHL playoffs.

He lost a close friend right before the start of the playoffs and he had an emotional celebration ala Tatar for his first goal.  

I'm excited to see him on the wing in Detroit next year...

Sarnia Sting eliminated Windsor yesterday in the 1st round of the OHL playoffs. Sting 's first playoff series victory in 10 years. Long rebuild paying off! Amazing that the Sting's playoff record is so bad given they at various times during that period had Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Chychrun among others.

I've subconsciously and officially embraced the tank.  When Panarin cut through the middle and put in the rebound, I raised my arms and yelled "Scores!!!"  Now to lose the extra point in OT

I’m going to miss Zetterberg when he retires, he’s proven to be a warrior after his back surgery. Even through the Blashill era, he plays hard and answers every post game question. A few of his passes tonight were ridiculous. Considering he could barely stand at the Olympics I applaud that he’s even giving the NHL a go at this point. Hopefully this rubs off on the young guys (or at least Larkin).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habs, Canucks and Wings all lost in OT tonight. Difference is that Habs and Canucks both came from 3 goals down, while the Wings blew a 3-goal lead.

Larkin's assist gives him 60 points on the year. Mantha has 47 points.

Wings are 6th worst overall. Even if they win out, will be at most 8th worst overall as NYI and NYR are beyond reach. Chicago and Edmonton are each 2 points up on the Wings with 2 to play (3 to play for the Hawks) and both have the tiebreaker edge over the Wings.

Wings won't finish bottom 2 overall, they're too far ahead of Ottawa and Buffalo. But Vancouver is only 2 points back and Montreal and Arizona are 3 points back. All three of those teams have the tiebreaker edge over the Wings. If the Wings lose both of their remaining games in regulation, chances are they'll move to 5th overall or 4th overall.

Wings lost to the Habs 4-3 last night. 

One game to go, home against NYI on Saturday. Wings can finish no higher in the standings than 26th out of 31. Currently tied for 26th with Vancouver and Vancouver wins the tiebreaker if both teams match each others result on Saturday. Wings could still drop to 28th or even 29th if the Habs  (1 pt behind Wings) and Arizona (2 pts behind Wings) each win their final game on Saturday.

So bottom line, going into final games on Saturday, still possible for Wings to finish anywhere between 3rd worst overall and 6th worst overall