Jump to content

Keepleyland2

3/30 @1:10 Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Detroit Tigers (opening day thread 2: Electric Bugaloo)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Total LOB - 35.  Wow.  We sure had our chances.

Meh. That's going to happen in a 13-10 game that goes 13. Get upset about the two bases loaded 0 outs, 0 runs. But overall LOB is gonna be high just because the game went like 9 hours long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Meh. That's going to happen in a 13-10 game that goes 13. Get upset about the two bases loaded 0 outs, 0 runs. But overall LOB is gonna be high just because the game went like 9 hours long

Stranding three runners with no outs - twice - is certainly what leads to a total LOB of 35.  It gets you halfway there.  You knew that we were going to pay for now taking advantage, especially with our inconsistent pen.  Of course the winning Pirates only had 15 in same number of innings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kdog said:

Verhagen instead of Wilson? hmm

The lack of criticism for this move is deafening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Honestly, I haven't seen the play.  I was listening on the radio.  I dislike instant replay in general and I believe it has hurt the game more than it has helped.  

Armando Galarraga says hello.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Armando Galarraga is absent from any list that includes great pitchers is not exactly any kind of cosmic injustice in my book....

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still didn't see enough to overturn that call. I did find it funny Gardenhire was arguing with the umpire who actually called him safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does MLB not issue a ruling that clearly explains the exact point of replay that made them reverse an on-the-field' call?  Because based upon the replay I watched .. there is no inconclusive evidence that the catcher actually made a tag.  One could 'infer' he made a tag .. but that would not be enough.

Official MLB Replay link here:  https://www.mlb.com/news/replay-overturns-tigers-potential-winning-run/c-270168204

I may have missed it ..so am asking for help.  Can anyone tell the exact point (minutes:seconds) did the catcher actually make the tag in the video replay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btw:

MLB ''shortened'' the video. In the original replay video last night the clock showed exactly 4:01 when the replay umpire signaled 'out'.

MLB could have only one reason to shorten the video.  The length of time to reverse the call was too long.

 

Many have suggested that MLB discontinued their 'team forums' because of all the bickering and also all the off-topic nonsense such as political threads.  I disagree.  I think MLB discontinued their 'team forums' because of too much criticism of official MLB decisions and also criticism of team owners and their GM's.

 

Edited to add:  A somewhat poor throw by the Pirate left fielder and an absolutely GREAT play by the Pirate catcher to grab the ball and extend his body & arm as quickly and as far as he did.  IMHO ..there is NO WAY that James McCann makes that play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

btw:

MLB ''shortened'' the video. In the original replay video last night the clock showed exactly 4:01 when the replay umpire signaled 'out'.

MLB could have only one reason to shorten the video.  The length of time to reverse the call was too long.

 

Many have suggested that MLB discontinued their 'team forums' because of all the bickering and also all the off-topic nonsense such as political threads.  I disagree.  I think MLB discontinued their 'team forums' because of too much criticism of official MLB decisions and also criticism of team owners and their GM's.

 

Edited to add:  A somewhat poor throw by the Pirate left fielder and an absolutely GREAT play by the Pirate catcher to grab the ball and extend his body & arm as quickly and as far as he did.  IMHO ..there is NO WAY that James McCann makes that play.

ESPN showed why the replay took so long. The umpires were put on hold...with elevator music playing. And when it was finally answered? Well, MLB outsourced their reviews to an Asian country, maybe India? "Joe" answered and the head umpire had to request an English speaking support representative. He told the umpire that he needed to reflect on the answer. 

And THAT is the rest of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

Armando Galarraga says hello.

It doesn't matter.  I don't want baseball to be polluted by instant replays just to correct one injustice.  Besides, Galarraga got more attention for that game because of the miscall than he would have if it were actually a perfect game.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Ronz said:

As always the Tigers got screwed and failed to protest. The replay rule reads as follows:

The Replay Official shall make a decision on a call under Replay Review within two minutes after the Crew Chief and Replay Official confirm which call is subject to Replay Review. If the Replay Official does not make a decision within two minutes, the Replay Director (or management official serving on his behalf) will instruct the Replay Official to make a decision. If the Replay Official does not feel he has enough video evidence to make a decision at the time of prompting by the Replay Director (or management official serving on his behalf), the Replay Official shall inform the Crew Chief that the call stands.

It has been widely reported that the replay took 3 minutes and 41 seconds. That is a violation of the rules and the Tigers should have immediately protested the game.

:alien:

 

 

 

 

 

That is a very good point Ronz.  If this were a smart organization, somebody would have alerted the dugout of this when it happened.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am honestly pretty mad about that replay call. They're doing all of these things to speed up the game, but the one that involves umpires instead of players isn't enforced and costs the Tigers a really fun win, in a season that will probably be lacking in those.

MLB starting out the season as a joke like always.

As far as actual performance, the idea of V-Mart and McCann killing rallies all year is a big concern, the bullpen has a lot of minor leaguers in it, otherwise I was pretty impressed.

Zimmermann being able to at least be a usable MLB pitcher for the rest of his contract, and Castellanos, Candelario, and Cabrera being a strong middle of the order are probably the biggest things that could happen this season that would boost the Tigers chances to compete in the remotely near future. Solid start in game #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pyrotigers said:

I am honestly pretty mad about that replay call. They're doing all of these things to speed up the game, but the one that involves umpires instead of players isn't enforced and costs the Tigers a really fun win, in a season that will probably be lacking in those.

MLB starting out the season as a joke like always.

As far as actual performance, the idea of V-Mart and McCann killing rallies all year is a big concern, the bullpen has a lot of minor leaguers in it, otherwise I was pretty impressed.

Zimmermann being able to at least be a usable MLB pitcher for the rest of his contract, and Castellanos, Candelario, and Cabrera being a strong middle of the order are probably the biggest things that could happen this season that would boost the Tigers chances to compete in the remotely near future. Solid start in game #1

Seriously, we all saw it happen. We got the mob scene. I’m considering it a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Seriously, we all saw it happen. We got the mob scene. I’m considering it a win.

I heard Dickerson's call.  They won.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid in the 60's listening to baseball games on the radio whenever there was a play like this the Tiger announcers would say " we have just been informed that the Tiger's are playing this game under protest". I would certainly hope the Tiger's at least contact the NY offices of MLB and ask them to forward the definitive shot of Cervelli's glove tagging Castellanos out at the plate. Otherwise, this game of baseball is on the same flimsy ground as the NFL  .... with heads up their ***. Screw replay. I would rather have a bad call from an umpire then this B.S. Umpires at least are right most of the time whereas this video replay seems to get it wrong most of the time. Why is that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, chasfh said:

The sound isn’t on in the bar. What are they saying about it?

I had the sound on when Gardenhire was tossed. He threw in a F%^% the replay and a few GD's and BS. So he had his say!

What he said though was much kinder than what I was saying. I would like to get that guy who made the call and horsewhip him. How dare some idiot New York pinhead costing this team a win!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Why does MLB not issue a ruling that clearly explains the exact point of replay that made them reverse an on-the-field' call?  Because based upon the replay I watched .. there is no inconclusive evidence that the catcher actually made a tag.  One could 'infer' he made a tag .. but that would not be enough.

Official MLB Replay link here:  https://www.mlb.com/news/replay-overturns-tigers-potential-winning-run/c-270168204

I may have missed it ..so am asking for help.  Can anyone tell the exact point (minutes:seconds) did the catcher actually make the tag in the video replay?

I listened to the game on the radio, so this is my first look at the play.  Knowing the outcome of the review, I'd say that you can maybe see Nick's sleeve crumple in an unnatural way as the glove brushes by at the 26/27 second mark of that video.  With freeze-frame, zoom, and a sharper image, one could perhaps be more definitive.

Call definitely took too long, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ultigerfan said:

I had the sound on when Gardenhire was tossed. He threw in a F%^% the replay and a few GD's and BS. So he had his say!

What he said though was much kinder than what I was saying. I would like to get that guy who made the call and horsewhip him. How dare some idiot New York pinhead costing this team a win!!!

I admire the passion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2018 at 5:16 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

couldn't watch the game

the classic non-head first slide would be one foot (upper) out to get to the bag, lower leg folded to have your weight on and provide the brake. I've never heard of sliding with two knees bent - is that what he did?

Yes. FWIW, he's not the first guy I've seen do this, either. Or maybe he was the guy I saw slide like that before, i don't quite remember. But either way, I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yes. FWIW, he's not the first guy I've seen do this, either. Or maybe he was the guy I saw slide like that before, i don't quite remember. But either way, I don't get it.

Yeah, I see these slides all the time, too. I think there must be something about the body’s momentum going from a sprint to a slide that causes a natural reaction for the legs to initially tuck under, possibly in combination with trying to contort your body to avoid a tag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason he slid like he did is because  ..1) he doesn't know how to slide ..and 2) he is as clumsy as a drunken sailor.

Players like Nick Castellanos have no desire to learn how to slide properly ..otherwise would have learned it by now.  Quite simply, Nick is a terrible baserunner.  I think many Tiger fans will be glad when (or if) he is finally traded for ..2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

The reason he slid like he did is because  ..1) he doesn't know how to slide ..and 2) he is as clumsy as a drunken sailor.

Players like Nick Castellanos have no desire to learn how to slide properly ..otherwise would have learned it by now.  Quite simply, Nick is a terrible baserunner.  I think many Tiger fans will be glad when (or if) he is finally traded for ..2 cents.

Welcome to the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,325
    • Total Posts
      2,856,142
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...