Keepleyland2

3/30 @1:10 Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Detroit Tigers (opening day thread 2: Electric Bugaloo)

You knew they would have to come back just to take this mother to 6 hours.  Come on Mahtook!

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Bases loaded with zero outs...in two separate innings. Total of zero runs scored. Enough said.

really?  That's your take away?  From a damn near 6 hour passion play: "Jesus should have told Pilate he wasn't the king"

Unless there’s an actual reason it’s a good idea to slide with your legs tucked under you instead of extended out toward the plate, this loss belongs to Nicholas Castellanos. 

Just now, chasfh said:

Unless there’s an actual reason it’s a good idea to slide with your legs tucked under you instead of extended out toward the plate, this loss belongs to Nicholas Castellanos. 

Just in thinking about the physics, it seems like a feet-first slide like you advocate gives you less control of direction or stability.  That means if it's close you have limited ability to twist yourself to avoid a tag.

Now, a diving head-first slide would give you the faster arrival and the agility to slip a tag.  More players should do that.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Where was the help at home from the next batter?  I only saw the pitcher standing there.  

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In a game like this, the loss belongs to a lot of people.  I mostly blame instant replay.  Close plays like that were not the purpose of instant replay.  If he was so conclusively out, why did it take like three or four minutes to make the call?

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, they didn't quit and it was entertaining...........

that's about it

Have I ever seen a boxscore where one team's cumulative LOB was 35?  Wowzers.

The Tigers' Team LOB was only 13.

2 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

that's about it

Give me an effort like that,  a no-quit effort and I'll be okay with the losing.   Last year I thought they gave up and I am not saying they didn't have heart, I am just thinking that with Miggy about about 40%, Victor fighting heart problems and Kinsler being in a funk - they tuned out Brad and Brad tuned out them and they were sleepwalking - and this was before they traded everyone.     There were a lot of mistakes today, but they showed some fight.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If he was so conclusively out, why did it take like three or four minutes to make the call?

I just watched the replay on Tiger MLB page .. exactly 4 minutes to make that call.  Nick's slide was horrible.  His entire approach toward home plate was horrible .. especially considering where the ball was hit and where the fielder was positioned.  Extremely poor baseball fundamentals on the runner (Nick), ..the 3rd base coach, ..and whoever Tiger player who should have been there to signal Nick when to start his slide.

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Give me an effort like that,  a no-quit effort and I'll be okay with the losing.   Last year I thought they gave up and I am not saying they didn't have heart, I am just thinking that with Miggy about about 40%, Victor fighting heart problems and Kinsler being in a funk - they tuned out Brad and Brad tuned out them and they were sleepwalking - and this was before they traded everyone.     There were a lot of mistakes today, but they showed some fight.  

they certainly had fight.  If they become as tough an opponent as the 2009 Twins were for the 2009 Tigers .I'll take that. 

5 minutes ago, brideck said:

The Tigers' Team LOB was only 13.

What was VMart's LOB?  Box score shows he left 7 on base in 4 at bats.