Keepleyland2

3/30 @1:10 Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Detroit Tigers (opening day thread 2: Electric Bugaloo)

1 minute ago, Tigrrfan said:

I just watched the replay on Tiger MLB page .. exactly 4 minutes to make that call.  Nick's slide was horrible.  His entire approach toward home plate was horrible .. especially considering where the ball was hit and where the fielder was positioned.  Extremely poor baseball fundamentals on the runner (Nick), ..the 3rd base coach, ..and whoever Tiger player who should have been there to signal Nick when to start his slide.

Castellanos is a poor baserunner.  No question.  

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

In a game like this, the loss belongs to a lot of people.  I mostly blame instant replay.  Close plays like that were not the purpose of instant replay.  If he was so conclusively out, why did it take like three or four minutes to make the call?

I think maybe because overturning an umpires call is such a significant event, in baseball terms, they need to be extra certain before doing it. No one agrees with me on this play, I understand, but I thought once I saw the right angle on the replay he was going to get called out. It wasn’t so inconclusive to me. I wish it were inconclusive, because we would’ve won. 

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Luckily his fielding makes up for it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think maybe because overturning an umpires call is such a significant event, in baseball terms, they need to be extra certain before doing it. No one agrees with me on this play, I understand, but I thought once I saw the right angle on the replay he was going to get called out. It wasn’t so inconclusive to me. I wish it were inconclusive, because we would’ve won. 

Honestly, I haven't seen the play.  I was listening on the radio.  I dislike instant replay in general and I believe it has hurt the game more than it has helped.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree, he was out.  As far as making the most of it, Skip needs to sit down with the team about some more baserunning skills, both while on the basepaths and those that are supposed to be there to guide them.  McCann should have been at home to tell him how to slide to evade the tag.  If this was last year and Romine was the runner, he makes that slide without the help and we win.  N. still has a lot to learn about reading the play better and making more space between him and where the ball may be received.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

7 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Luckily his fielding makes up for it.

He's about to get even more expensive. I would be surprised if he isn't moved by the trade deadline.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Unless there’s an actual reason it’s a good idea to slide with your legs tucked under you instead of extended out toward the plate, this loss belongs to Nicholas Castellanos. 

couldn't watch the game

the classic non-head first slide would be one foot (upper) out to get to the bag, lower leg folded to have your weight on and provide the brake. I've never heard of sliding with two knees bent - is that what he did?

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Funnily enough, Jim Price went on about how he should be called safe because he made a great slide

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

Funnily enough, Jim Price went on about how he should be called safe because he made a great slide

I heard that too.  

As always the Tigers got screwed and failed to protest. The replay rule reads as follows:

The Replay Official shall make a decision on a call under Replay Review within two minutes after the Crew Chief and Replay Official confirm which call is subject to Replay Review. If the Replay Official does not make a decision within two minutes, the Replay Director (or management official serving on his behalf) will instruct the Replay Official to make a decision. If the Replay Official does not feel he has enough video evidence to make a decision at the time of prompting by the Replay Director (or management official serving on his behalf), the Replay Official shall inform the Crew Chief that the call stands.

It has been widely reported that the replay took 3 minutes and 41 seconds. That is a violation of the rules and the Tigers should have immediately protested the game.

:alien:

I didn't stay.  We left after the top of the 9th.  I was cold.  I had to get home to get my dog out of day care because we are getting our bathroom remodeled and have guys working in the house.    I did not see the play only heard Dan's call.  I have no idea on any of it but can safely conclude that if the guys in NY can't make the decision in 2 minutes then the original call stands.  There's now a stat on the "pitcher's scoreboard" for MVR, Mound Visits Remaining.  They have clocks between batters and hitters.    On instant replay show another clock and once it hits zero, you continue play.  MLB can't push the time limits for everyone else but not themselves.

I want to support instant replay because I think it's important to get it right.  But then this happens.  I'm not saying this because it hurt the Tigers.

Disappointed in Shane Greene's performance. Happy about Jeimer and some of the other hitters. Overall, this went pretty much to script. Only 161 disasters to go.

Looking at some of the major mistakes 

Nick not catching the ball on the line is forgivable.   He's got very little experience in RF and it was a tough play.    That wall probably feels closer when you don't have much experience and besides, with those long strides he was probably only 3 strides away from hitting it - I understand how it could make him skittish. 

The glove flip by Machado was bad but it was an effort error.  He was trying to make something out of nothing and though he should not have done that, I prefer that kind of error to a lack of effort error.   When you factor in his day at the plate, I can't complain. 

The bullpen was not good, but I can't get too mad because I think that the colder weather was messing with a lot of the pitchers today.  

Nick's slide was bad, but I appreciate the effort and the fact they went for it.  That's what I want to see all season.  Play your *** off even if it costs you.  If you are going to be bad, be entertaining and bad.  

The unforgivable mistakes were the two bases-loaded with 0 outs failures.     In the first inning V-Mart and McCann should not have been swinging.  Nova was all over the place and had no feeling for the ball,  more patience was needed there.  They seemed to just go up hacking.  There's a time for aggressive hitting and that wasn't it. 

What I liked was that Jordan Zimmermann looked good.  He had one rough inning set off by a seeing eye single that took a bad bounce on Machado.   He deserved better from his offense.    Miggy already looks better than at anytime last season.    The bottom third of the order looked really good today.   I thought Jeimer showed great patience at the plate.   I love the way Mahtook plays, he plays hard and even if the numbers don't favor him if he keeps playing that way he'll turn outs into singles.    JaCoby looked confidant at the plate.    Leonys had a couple of very good at bats where he made the pitcher really work to get him out.  Need that from a lead off.  If he and Candy show that kind of patience, it's going to really help Miggy and Nick in the future.    Not gonna get on the pen when it's 46 degrees, gonna wait on that.   Alex Wilson was gutty today.  He went longer than they will probably ever ask again and he battled.  

Nick may have been out but that play was so razor thin that it did not warrant an overturn.  

Back at it on Sunday probably.   Tomorrow looks like a brutal weather day,  80% chance of rain and a wind advisory.  I don't think they'll play.  

• Like 1

Just now, Charles Liston said:

All-World defender James McCann had 2 errors and a passed ball.  And probably some passed wind.

Cervell had an awful day too in that he whiffed and killed an ump.  

54 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

McCann cannot hit RHP.

Same as it ever was.

And you may ask yourself, how did the Tigers get here?

13 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

1 loss down and 99 to go.

You expect them to not lose a game after mid-September?

The call doesn't matter if we score one run in the first. That first ugly swing from Castellanos had me shaking my head. 

Fun game, though. 

Gardy, before the game: Alright guys, let's go out there and have fun. We're grown men playing a kid's game!

Gardy, after the game: #$%$#%#