Keepleyland2

3/30 @1:10 Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Detroit Tigers (opening day thread 2: Electric Bugaloo)

I prefer Ivan Nova's version of Golden Earring much better than Cheap Trick's.

I bet Gardy kept the boys loose in the clubhouse yesterday, this isn't his first rain delay.  He'll have the troops ready to play tomorrow.  

Hey look everybody else got to watch their team baseball (sans Washington and cincy), meanwhile for the third year again we are left waiting till a day later. 

Please god let us open in Tampa next year.

52 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I bet Gardy kept the boys loose in the clubhouse yesterday, this isn't his first rain delay.  He'll have the troops ready to play tomorrow.  

Deuce would've taken them across the river to the girly bars.  Passport, shmashport.  Border patrol has gotten familiar with him over the past year.

42 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Hey look everybody else got to watch their team baseball (sans Washington and cincy), meanwhile for the third year again we are left waiting till a day later. 

We opened in Miami recently. Of course, we didn’t play on opening day for some reason. 

Then again, it kind of sucks to play a game on opening day and then have no game the next day. 

This was fine. 

53 minutes ago, Shelton said:

We opened in Miami recently. Of course, we didn’t play on opening day for some reason. 

Then again, it kind of sucks to play a game on opening day and then have no game the next day. 

This was fine. 

If you remember that Miami opener was something like opening night on a wednesday (I don't remember the specific day of the week) and then most other teams opened on Thursday. But, not us and the Marlins, we waited till that Friday so there was no weird off day as it wasn't needed in the dome. Since we were in a dome we didn't start till 7p.m. that day. A couple teams ended up playing three games before we played one. And every other team played and completed at least one before our first pitch. 

That was the first of this three year stretch -- then the two rain outs -- for us waiting a day later than everybody else. 

That's what I was pointing out (i only picked tampa and after the miami year they did rid of the staggering start)

It would never happen, but I think I could live with the regular season starting two weeks later and more doubleheaders being built into the schedule so as to try to avoid these early spring rain-outs. The doubleheaders would add a new spin on the old school, as well, since they would tax the bullpens even more over the stretch run. There's too much money to lose, though. 

Also... two extra weeks without any real baseball sounds terrifying.

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

I prefer Ivan Nova's version of Golden Earring much better than Cheap Trick's.

Ivan Nova is just a fantasy...

10 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No, lets start the season march 20th in Winnipeg.   It'll be just fine. 

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Hey, it was 32° with flurries on the 20th in Winnipeg.  That seems playable-ish.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Could you look up the average temperatures in Detroit for March 29th and then compare to, say, a week later?

3 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Please no sponsorship, just a blue and orange cart with this logo on it... tigers-lose-o.gif

I think they should get with the times and deliver relievers via drone.

22 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Could you look up the average temperatures in Detroit for March 29th and then compare to, say, a week later?

I grew up with a weather nerd, so I can take this on.  The average high in Detroit for yesterday/today is actually 50°.  You gain 2 or 3 degrees by pushing it to next week.

14 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Tigers are tied for second in the division, half a game up on KC and Minnesota.

This is just about as good as it gets, a negative brimming with the positive.