Biff Mayhem

MLB Forum Refugees - Introduce yourselves

21 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

If they enjoy doing that, why is it at all bad?

The chest thumping gets annoying after a while. Eventually you come to recognize various patterns in their "spiel". Either they want to support their "golden boy" at the expense of some other, or to pile up on some player they've identified as their nemesis. Totally non-productive.

Notice that I didn't say they should all be locked up in prison for it, just that they waste a lot of internet bandwidth doing so. 

I don't do "fantasy" baseball, so I couldn't really care less whether Mike Trout  or Giancarlo Stanton were more "Williamsesque ' through the first three years  of their careers, ......and neither should you (lol, J/K)

9 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Of course.  A long time ago . . .  

I grew up 30 minutes from there....thought that's what you meant.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Eventually all the new members will be treated to the story of the time that @The Ronz met Alkaline. 

This would be the time I think.

11 hours ago, Kari Smith said:

download.jpg.a2151db413a0727c2e5a8e590d930785.jpg

I'm a lifelong Tigers girl who started following the team in the late 80s -- I hope this rebuild won't be nearly as painful! 

My favorite Detroit Tiger might actually be (and don't laugh) Jim Walewander.  He was soooooooooo cute and, from what I remember, quirky!!  Jim Thome is probably my favorite baseball player, although I've long admired some 70s/80s players like Jim Rice, Rickey Henderson, and The Bull -- Greg Luzinski.  I'm a strange duck.

I'm a Spartan grad, an engineer and a total stats geek, another reason I love baseball.

I'm looking forward to learning more about my fellow posters!

~K

Kari I am so disappointed to learn that you are an engineer, OMG we have way too many of those already.  The response that you got a couple of posts after yours from a guy who calls himself tiger337?  Lots of people here refer to him as "Lee" but that isn't his real name, it's just 337 upside down.  He doesn't know **** about statistics but he pretends that he does.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm just getting on here now because the power was out at my house from 3 PM to 10 PM, thanks to the wind.  That wasn't a problem for me though, because there was no Tigers game to follow, plus I had already planned to spend the afternoon finding some baby harp seals and clubbing them to death.  So, a pretty good day.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I grew up 30 minutes from there....thought that's what you meant.

Lot of good memories from there.  Beach days, net fishing for minnows with my grandfather, 4th of July's in town.  If you were driving south from there one day in the mid/late 60's and saw a kid trying to sell glacially-rounded rocks from a wagon - that was me.  Future geologist.

2 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Lot of good memories from there.  Beach days, net fishing for minnows with my grandfather, 4th of July's in town.  If you were driving south from there one day in the mid/late 60's and saw a kid trying to sell glacially-rounded rocks from a wagon - that was me.  Future geologist.

Nice area.

13 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

The chest thumping gets annoying after a while. Eventually you come to recognize various patterns in their "spiel". Either they want to support their "golden boy" at the expense of some other, or to pile up on some player they've identified as their nemesis. Totally non-productive.

Notice that I didn't say they should all be locked up in prison for it, just that they waste a lot of internet bandwidth doing so. 

I don't do "fantasy" baseball, so I couldn't really care less whether Mike Trout  or Giancarlo Stanton were more "Williamsesque ' through the first three years  of their careers, ......and neither should you (lol, J/K)

As the saying goes, "statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics".  Anyone can make any point by referencing some ill-gotten stat, like Alex Rodriguez has hit more home runs on his birthday than any other player.  So he's the best!  

As one will soon learn, I love all the so-called advanced metrics, but I just use them to augment my love and appreciation of the game.  I still believe that most of the game is on gut, feel, or instinct--something I hope the Tigers can rediscover.

~K

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kari Smith said:

As the saying goes, "statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics".  Anyone can make any point by referencing some ill-gotten stat, like Alex Rodriguez has hit more home runs on his birthday than any other player.  So he's the best!  

As one will soon learn, I love all the so-called advanced metrics, but I just use them to augment my love and appreciation of the game.  I still believe that most of the game is on gut, feel, or instinct--something I hope the Tigers can rediscover.

~K

You want to join the "gritty" faction here.   Shelton is the best judge of gritty on the board.

9 hours ago, Kari Smith said:

.  I still believe that most of the game is on gut, feel, or instinct--something I hope the Tigers can rediscover.

~K  

You've touched on another hot button issue I frequently ponder.  Teams frequently prioritize "tech" over the natural talent a player might have. 

Imagine if the tools they use in training today had existed 50-75 years ago (batting cage videos, biometrics, etc).  Would some coach  have felt the need to try and tweak the mechanics   of a young  Joe Dimaggio, or a young Mickey Mantle, just because it seemed like the right thing to do?

EG, "here Mick, watch these videos of your at bats, and notice that you're not keeping your chin tucked in, and your swing isn't flat enough, if you ever expect to amount to anything here in the bigs, you gotta fix these things".....SO  the developing player then  becomes more focused upon trying to keep the machines happy, than actually applying natural ability.

6 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

You've touched on another hot button issue I frequently ponder.  Teams frequently prioritize "tech" over the natural talent a player might have. 

Imagine if the tools they use in training today had existed 50-75 years ago (batting cage videos, biometrics, etc).  Would some coach  have felt the need to try and tweak the mechanics   of a young  Joe Dimaggio, or a young Mickey Mantle, just because it seemed like the right thing to do?

EG, "here Mick, watch these videos of your at bats, and notice that you're not keeping your chin tucked in, and your swing isn't flat enough, if you ever expect to amount to anything here in the bigs, you gotta fix these things".....SO  the developing player then  becomes more focused upon trying to keep the machines happy, than actually applying natural ability.

I think it's more likely they would have left natural talents like Dimaggio and Mantle alone and used the technology to help players that needed to be fixed.  It's also possible that one of the stars would have chosen to improve himself even more by taking the initiative to use technology.  Verlander is an example from today.  I don't see much downside to the technology.  

31 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Watch video of Cabrera's swing from when he was a rookie. Much different player. He's great because he's extremely talented AND refined his swing over time. As I'm sure guys like Mantle likely did as well. 

• Like 1

Guys like Dimaggio and Mantle would have told the "tech" geeks to go f-themselves.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Guys like Dimaggio and Mantle would have told the "tech" geeks to go f-themselves.

They absolutely wouldn't have. But ok. Tell that to guys like Miggy and Verlander. 

44 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

LOL!!      good post!!

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I think it's more likely they would have left natural talents like Dimaggio and Mantle alone and used the technology to help players that needed to be fixed. .  

I cannot find the same comfort in that... which you evidently can. Even the best players go through slumps, and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see some well-meaning coach try to "intervene"  in an upstart Mantle...trying to fix what really isn't broken.

Who was the  player? Lee May I think it was who used to flap his trailing arm against his torso because some coach told him it would help remind him to keep that shoulder extended?   Imagine Mantle doing that "just because"...The trouble is, once you're inside some ones head that way, it's very hard for them to be natural. And for the purpose of this thread I'm assuming that natural was perfect for Mantle.

21 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Kari I am so disappointed to learn that you are an engineer, OMG we have way too many of those already.  The response that you got a couple of posts after yours from a guy who calls himself tiger337?  Lots of people here refer to him as "Lee" but that isn't his real name, it's just 337 upside down.  He doesn't know **** about statistics but he pretends that he does.

74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

56 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

That's not true.  I make up 3/4 of what I post.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Shelton said:

This thread is great. 

OKAY, my bad, it was Joe Morgan (traded for Lee MAY) who flapped his arm,  been a  long time. Still it would be sadly funny watching Mantle subordinate himself to such a program. 

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I cannot find the same comfort in that... which you evidently can. Even the best players go through slumps, and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see some well-meaning coach try to "intervene"  in an upstart Mantle...trying to fix what really isn't broken.

Who was the  player? Lee May I think it was who used to flap his trailing arm against his torso because some coach told him it would help remind him to keep that shoulder extended?   Imagine Mantle doing that "just because"...The trouble is, once you're inside some ones head that way, it's very hard for them to be natural. And for the purpose of this thread I'm assuming that natural was perfect for Mantle.

You mean Joe Morgan?  His arm flap got him into the HOF.  Good thing the Houston guys left him alone.  

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

Watch video of Cabrera's swing from when he was a rookie. Much different player. He's great because he's extremely talented AND refined his swing over time. As I'm sure guys like Mantle likely did as well. 

Thx for the vid.  There are certain guys that have a high baseball IQ - right from the start.  

1 minute ago, ktpinnacle said:

You mean Joe Morgan?  His arm flap got him into the HOF.  Good thing the Houston guys left him alone.  

Yeah, I picked up on Shelton's sarcasm and suspected I had goofed.  Just barely beat you to the draw:dead:

11 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Yeah, I picked up on Shelton's sarcasm and suspected I had goofed.  Just barely beat you to the draw:dead:

But the Lee May pull - the guy that Cincinnati traded for Joe Morgan - was pretty good.  So you have that goin' for ya.  Which is nice.