Jump to content

Biff Mayhem

MLB Forum Refugees - Introduce yourselves

Recommended Posts

Just now, diaspora04 said:

Has Motown Sports acquired MLB?  Sweet.

No but we are in negotiations to purchase their yacht.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

Has Motown Sports acquired MLB?  Sweet.

I don't know whether this is good until I know who we gave up.  It sounds like we acquired a bunch of old guys, so we must be going for it this year.  I am assuming we gave up at least one decent prospect.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

My Tiger history is similar to Tigrrfan's.  I grew up in NJ, surrounded by Yankme fans.  But my mother's side of the family was from Detroit and I spent each month of June during the 60's hanging out at a family cabin on Lake Huron, between Lakeport and Livingston.  It was Tiger's baseball everyday.  It never left me.  

First visited the MLB MB back in the dark days of Scrap Iron and and saw quite a few good folks come and go, and probably too many others stay.  I still occasionally communicate with Pablolotto, one of the good ones from back in the day, who checks in here occasionally.

I've been a So Cal transplant since 1989, and live a short drive from Angel Stadium, where I never seem to see a decent Tiger performance.  But I did see the infamous April 19, 2013 Porcello debacle.  Good times.  Got a couple of kids, one who is graduating next month from a nearby University and one who is in his second year in a PA College and is still playing.  My wife is deathly afraid that he'll get paired up before he graduates and never return.  I'm in trouble if he does.

 

Welcome to the board.  Yeah I don't think the Tigers ever had a good performance in Anaheim ever, I wonder if it will carry over for Verlander now that he is an Astro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i bite.

 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Should we discuss sprinkler parties?

It’s too bad that this succession of posts wasn’t reversed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My season ticket buddy used to visit the MLB forum and would share with me some funny stuff by a guy named "Six Hopper"... as in Maggs throws to the plate were always six hoppers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, holygoat said:

When does the revised edition drop, and will it include OE%?

Some day! I had planned to update it, but my life got crazy with work and family responsibilities the last couple of years.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly I  lurk, reading what other Tigers fans think and feel about what the team is doing, just to see  If I feel similarly. :confused:

Occasionally  when  nobody seems to have the right viewpoint, I'll chime in with enlightenment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 12:21 AM, bobrob2004 said:

We had our own inside jokes too, but they had to do with Hank Blalock and Barry Bonds.  Retired, non-Tigers.  It was weird.  

Mookie Blaylock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please allow me to introduce myself...

I'm a refugee from Prodigy, Yahoo, and then mlb.com  I won't confirm or deny trolling on Yahoo. I'm not a big sci-fi fan.  I got the Darth nickname arguing with a Steelers fan on Yahoo.  He called me "Darth Raider" when I reminded him that Tatum never touched the ball and the name stuck.

Lifelong Tigers fan from the Erie (Pa) area.  My first live game was June 19, 1971.  Kevin Collins gave me a bat he broke in BP.  Later on I got to watch Willie Horton beat up the Cleveland Indians with some help from Ike & Gates Brown.  I still have the bat.

I was also at the series in May of 1987 in Cleveland when the Tigers started on a winning streak to go from 11-19 to the playoffs.  They were 13-19 at the start of the sweep.

I've done a magic number thread somewhere since '06ish  and always kept track when they were in contention long before that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 9:12 PM, Oblong said:

My season ticket buddy used to visit the MLB forum and would share with me some funny stuff by a guy named "Six Hopper"... as in Maggs throws to the plate were always six hoppers.

 

I'm hoping Six and Bounce find this place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2018 at 12:56 PM, sabretooth said:

Prodigy!  That is from the interwebs way back machine.

We called it Plodigy.  That rolling VW logo ad got annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so glad that all of you new folks have joined us, it's the greatest infusion of new talent that we have ever had.  Truly I am seriously impressed by the quality of the posts that you all have contributed so far, and I'm also impressed by how many of you have been Tigers fans for even longer than I have been (1962) if that's even possible.

Your lockers are all together, way over there in the farthest distant corner of the clubhouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 12:01 PM, ktpinnacle said:

My Tiger history is similar to Tigrrfan's.  I grew up in NJ, surrounded by Yankme fans.  But my mother's side of the family was from Detroit and I spent each month of June during the 60's hanging out at a family cabin on Lake Huron, between Lakeport and Livingston.  It was Tiger's baseball everyday.  It never left me.  

First visited the MLB MB back in the dark days of Scrap Iron and and saw quite a few good folks come and go, and probably too many others stay.  I still occasionally communicate with Pablolotto, one of the good ones from back in the day, who checks in here occasionally.

I've been a So Cal transplant since 1989, and live a short drive from Angel Stadium, where I never seem to see a decent Tiger performance.  But I did see the infamous April 19, 2013 Porcello debacle.  Good times.  Got a couple of kids, one who is graduating next month from a nearby University and one who is in his second year in a PA College and is still playing.  My wife is deathly afraid that he'll get paired up before he graduates and never return.  I'm in trouble if he does.

 

Livingston?   Perhaps Lexington?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Livingston?   Perhaps Lexington?

Of course.  A long time ago . . .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

download.jpg.a2151db413a0727c2e5a8e590d930785.jpg

I'm a lifelong Tigers girl who started following the team in the late 80s -- I hope this rebuild won't be nearly as painful! 

My favorite Detroit Tiger might actually be (and don't laugh) Jim Walewander.  He was soooooooooo cute and, from what I remember, quirky!!  Jim Thome is probably my favorite baseball player, although I've long admired some 70s/80s players like Jim Rice, Rickey Henderson, and The Bull -- Greg Luzinski.  I'm a strange duck.

I'm a Spartan grad, an engineer and a total stats geek, another reason I love baseball.

I'm looking forward to learning more about my fellow posters!

~K

                                                                                            

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kari Smith said:

download.jpg.a2151db413a0727c2e5a8e590d930785.jpg

I'm a lifelong Tigers girl who started following the team in the late 80s -- I hope this rebuild won't be nearly as painful! 

My favorite Detroit Tiger might actually be (and don't laugh) Jim Walewander.  He was soooooooooo cute and, from what I remember, quirky!!  Jim Thome is probably my favorite baseball player, although I've long admired some 70s/80s players like Jim Rice, Rickey Henderson, and The Bull -- Greg Luzinski.  I'm a strange duck.

I'm a Spartan grad, an engineer and a total stats geek, another reason I love baseball.

I'm looking forward to learning more about my fellow posters!

~K

                                                                                            

You like stats so you will fit right in.  A lot of the guys on here are stat heads.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the new stats are dumb.  The only ones I need are BA, HR, RBI, W-L and ERA.  It was good enough for me in the 70s and it's good enough now.  There are too many stats here now.  That's why nobody posts here anymore.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

All the new stats are dumb.  The only ones I need are BA, HR, RBI, W-L and ERA.  It was good enough for me in the 70s and it's good enough now.  There are too many stats here now.  That's why nobody posts here anymore.  

Saves snob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

All the new stats are dumb.  The only ones I need are BA, HR, RBI, W-L and ERA.  It was good enough for me in the 70s and it's good enough now.  There are too many stats here now.  That's why nobody posts here anymore.  

Some rube wrote a book about the new fangled numbers.  He is a Tiger fan even though he writes with a heavy Boston accent.  There was a photo of Curtis Granderson on the cover.  You should check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Saves snob.

Saves have only been an official stat since 1969.   Not old timey enough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Saves have only been an official stat since 1969.   Not old timey enough.  

Older than the designated hitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

All the new stats are dumb.

 I think it depends really, on how they are used. When used constructively to evaluate a player's progress, to define and develop their strengths, to address and correct their weaknesses, or  to promote best-case in game matchups ....I think the advanced analytics have some value.  "Field level decisions" in other words.

But the people who are, for example, going back and calculating Ted Williams'  career  war for each  year and at what age that he played, just so they can play "baseball tycoon" and second guess current day player contracts,  really are wasting a lot of internet bandwidth.

Probably good though that it keeps them off the streets and out of harm's way. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 I think it depends really, on how they are used. When used constructively to evaluate a player's progress, to define and develop their strengths, to address and correct their weaknesses, or  to promote best-case in game matchups ....I think the advanced analytics have some value.  "Field level decisions" in other words.
But the people who are, for example, going back and calculating Ted Williams'  career  war for each  year and at what age that he played, just so they can play "baseball tycoon" and second guess current day player contracts,  really are wasting a lot of internet bandwidth.
Probably good though that it keeps them off the streets and out of harm's way. [emoji4]

If they enjoy doing that, why is it at all bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×