Biff Mayhem

MLB Forum Refugees - Introduce yourselves

I'd just like to take a moment and welcome you to MotownSports. Pull up a chair and continue to join right in. You are very welcome here.

If you're comfortable, introduce yourselves. We won't judge too hard. Well except Lee. He's really judgmental and we try to stay out of his way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I'd just like to take a moment and welcome you to MotownSports. Pull up a chair and continue to join right in. You are very welcome here.

If you're comfortable, introduce yourselves. We won't judge too hard. Well except Lee. He's really judgmental and we try to stay out of his way.

That's not true.  You suck.  

• Haha 1

These days ..the one who bites is more apt to get more of the "dizzys" than the one bitten.

I have been a dedicated Tiger fan since late 1966 to mid-1967 (..honestly do not remember exactly when) ..I do remember some of the latter part of 1966 but not sure I followed immediately into the 1967 season or shortly thereafter.

Miguel Cabrera has been the most amazing hitter I recall .. partly because Al Kaline was past his prime by the time I caught on.

As for absolute (and effortless) talent, ..Denny McLain's 1968 season was the best I have seen any Tiger pitcher .. and that includes JV's CY/MVP season.  Unfortunately, I do not recall Mark Fidrych's rookie season .. had just entered the military that spring and did not listen or watch any Tiger games.  My loss ..there!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard to any new posters, with the way this season is likely to play out we're going to need some new blood around here to keep the game day threads active. 

I became a Tigers fan in 1999 when my dad took me to a game at old Tiger Stadium before they moved into Comerica Park.  I was instantly hooked and the rest is history.  

I enjoy the advanced metrics side of baseball, even if I don't fully understand all the newfangled stats, I try.  I used to do annual predictions of all the projected starting Tigers players, but that died when the MLB Tigers message board died.  

• Like 2

I've been an avid baseball fan since the mid 50s. No particular team but I had several favorite players. My dad was a White Sox fan and my sister loved Baltimore. Saturday games of the week were never missed at our house. I became a Tigers fan for life in 1961 and have been a Yankee hater since then as well. Al Kaline has been my favorite Tiger as long as I can remember. 1968 was my year, I went to about 40 games and we won it all. I went in the Navy in 1970, spent 5 years in CA and then 2 on a ship overseas so I missed most of those years. I try to attend 3-4 games a season. I prefer listening to games on the radio but usually keep the TV on during games. (Marconi invented the radio so he could listen to baseball. 0

I am not a stat-head but I read every baseball post. I will avoid all post that get nasty, political or discuss religion.

• Like 3

Not sure how stat oriented MLB's forums were but I think most of us on here are pretty stat friendly and knowledgeable, I think there are more people like that than the old school folks on here. 

5 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Miguel Cabrera has been the most amazing hitter I recall .. partly because Al Kaline was past his prime by the time I caught on.

TBH, other than his batting crown year, even early in his career Kaline was often not even the dominant hitter on his own team - he was very good and very good for a very long time, but he played with a lot guys who were more imposing hitters over shorter periods when he played with them. Freehan was OBP league leader one year, Colavito had more power, Cash was was clearly the most dangerous hitter on the team in the early 60's, and Horton was more feared later - so Al's career even with his own team looked a lot different from Cabrera's, who until last year was always clearly the dominant hitter on his team.  We knew Al was going to be a Hall of Famer, and you might argue he was the best all round baseball player in baseball at times, but no-one ever argued he was the best hitter in baseball for any extended period of time as has been the case with Cabrera.

4 hours ago, Dtfan4life said:

I will avoid all post that get nasty, political or discuss religion.

Amen.

(That was a joke. :D).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Welcome to all. I hope you enjoy game day threads. Just beware of knee jerk ractions.

What is a raction!?!

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Do we explain the Adduci family to them?  

I was gonna say some people should fill them in on some inside jokes.  I remember when I first joined the whole Casper Well's Dad thing was going on and I was completely lost.  

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Do we explain the Adduci family to them?

Please, just don't mention the yacht yet, OK?

.D'OH!  Dammit!

We had our own inside jokes too, but they had to do with Hank Blalock and Barry Bonds.  Retired, non-Tigers.  It was weird.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure how stat oriented MLB's forums were but I think most of us on here are pretty stat friendly and knowledgeable, I think there are more people like that than the old school folks on here. 

Speaking of stats friendly, one of our members here wrote this great book:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Batting-Average-Lee-Panas/dp/0557312248

It explains stats in a manner that even a moron like myself can understand.

16 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I became a Tigers fan in 1999 when my dad took me to a game at old Tiger Stadium before they moved into Comerica Park.  I was instantly hooked and the rest is history.  

I enjoy the advanced metrics side of baseball, even if I don't fully understand all the newfangled stats, I try.  I used to do annual predictions of all the projected starting Tigers players, but that died when the MLB Tigers message board died.  

I recommend Lee's book Beyond Batting Average.  It's a must for all fans that want to learn more about the newfangled stats.

Yeah what biff said. Don't ask him about the Oopsey incident.

16 hours ago, Dtfan4life said:

I am not a stat-head but I read every baseball post. I will avoid all post that get nasty, political or discuss religion.

There is a separate forum for politics.  It is more civil than most political forums on the internet, but I advise you to stay away from it.  

18 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Most of us do not bite.

i bite.

26 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

There is a separate forum for politics.  It is more civil than most political forums on the internet, but I advise you to stay away from it.  

Thanks, I'll pass. Baseball is more fun.

• Like 2

My Tiger history is similar to Tigrrfan's.  I grew up in NJ, surrounded by Yankme fans.  But my mother's side of the family was from Detroit and I spent each month of June during the 60's hanging out at a family cabin on Lake Huron, between Lakeport and Livingston.  It was Tiger's baseball everyday.  It never left me.  

First visited the MLB MB back in the dark days of Scrap Iron and and saw quite a few good folks come and go, and probably too many others stay.  I still occasionally communicate with Pablolotto, one of the good ones from back in the day, who checks in here occasionally.

I've been a So Cal transplant since 1989, and live a short drive from Angel Stadium, where I never seem to see a decent Tiger performance.  But I did see the infamous April 19, 2013 Porcello debacle.  Good times.  Got a couple of kids, one who is graduating next month from a nearby University and one who is in his second year in a PA College and is still playing.  My wife is deathly afraid that he'll get paired up before he graduates and never return.  I'm in trouble if he does.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Has Motown Sports acquired MLB?  Sweet.