As you may have heard, former Detroit Tiger Rusty Staub passed away yesterday (Thursday, March 28th).

While he was well before my time, but I do remember his name.  I didn't know he is the only player in MLB history to have 500+ hits with four different teams (Houston, Montreal, New York Mets, and our Tigers).

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or stories about him.  From what I read, he embraced Montreal when pretty much no baseball player did.

~K

• Like 1

Le Grande Orange and The Kid back together again. (I stole that).

THere was always a rumor that Fidrych was clowning around with him and that's how he hurt his knee.

Yes, he learned French when he got traded to Montreal.  They loved him for that.

DZdtYN6U0AALcXS.jpg

I wonder how many "rusty" jokes were made by him each spring? 

18 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Le Grande Orange and The Kid back together again. (I stole that).

THere was always a rumor that Fidrych was clowning around with him and that's how he hurt his knee.

Yes, he learned French when he got traded to Montreal.  They loved him for that.

DZdtYN6U0AALcXS.jpg

Fidrych was clowning around.  Staub told him stop or he was going to hurt himself.  

He was one of the most memorable players of my youth.  I remember this yearbook very well.

1976-detroit-tigers-yearbook-milt-may-ru

I remember his tiger-stripe socks. And how he would really choke up on the bat.

1977-topps-rusty-staub-baseball-card-det

But I think most neutral fans would associate him more with the Expos and the Mets. See this from the MLB.com site: "Rusty Staub, a red-headed outfielder who was a darling of the city of Montreal, a hero and fine chef in the city of New York, and a star in the early days of Houston baseball, died Thursday morning..."

Rusty was one of my favorite players. I could relate to his lack of athleticism but high effort play.

6 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Rusty was one of my favorite players. I could relate to his lack of athleticism but high effort play.

Same here. The man could flat out hit. Like an early version of VMart, a professional hitter.

And a huge fan favorite, wherever he played. I guess Jesus needed a chef. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Same here. The man could flat out hit. Like an early version of VMart, a professional hitter.

Lets be real here. Rusty was a regular Hermes compared to VMart - the man had 47 career steals!

• Like 1

Once, in 1977, I think, during a rain delay Rusty came out of the dugout with a box of baseballs, maybe a couple and and stood there singing the balls and handing them out to the kids.  I ran down there and got one (but have lost it).    I think my friend Benny The Jet Rodriguez hit it into a forbidden yard.   

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lets be real here. Rusty was a regular Hermes compared to VMart - the man had 47 career steals!

Staub was also a decent fielder early in his career.  By the time he was traded to the Tigers, he was fat and athletic though.  He could hit though.  I loved watching him bat.  

I seem to remember Staub stealing home against the Tigers.

Obviously not known for his "speed" but the Tigers messed up a pickle play and he was credited with a steal of home.

Am I misremembering this?

I believe it was when Staub was on the Rangers so this would have been 1980.

:alien:

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Yeah, that's pretty good stuff.  I saw this on an MLBN special about the Expos. Le Grande Orange has to be one of the top nicknames in the sport.

I wouldn't have guessed this one, but I saw elsewhere that he was 13th all time in games played.  Oh, but yes it is true.

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

I wonder how many "rusty" jokes were made by him each spring? 

Not as many as were made about Rusty Kuntz.

• Like 1

I remember Rusty Staub .. he could flat out hit.  Was one of my favorite players even before he became a Tiger.

That '76 team which only won 74 games was one of the most entertaining ever.  Staub, LeFlore, and Fidrych all made the all star team and there was Horton still there, and Alex Johnson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Ronz said:

I seem to remember Staub stealing home against the Tigers.

Obviously not known for his "speed" but the Tigers messed up a pickle play and he was credited with a steal of home.

Am I misremembering this?

I believe it was when Staub was on the Rangers so this would have been 1980.

:alien:

I remember him beating the rundown and I remember laughing and being mad at the Tigers at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

That '76 team which only won 74 games was one of the most entertaining ever.  Staub, LeFlore, and Fidrych all made the all star team and there was Horton still there, and Alex Johnson.

I remember we'd be sitting in the lower deck in left on the Saturday afternoon family days and Leflore would get a hit and take his lead off of 1st and thousands of kids would be chanting "Go Go Go Go". Deafening.

Halfway funny exchange based on a misunderstanding between my parents, sometime around 1981.

My parents are watching a televised game between the New York Mets and an unknown National League team...  

ANNOUNCER: "Staub was a Texas Ranger just last year..".

MOM: "Wow. Is that true, Jeff?" 

DAD: "I don't know."

MOM: "It seems like something you might know."

DAD: "I don't know, Mickey."

MOM: "Yeah, but they said he was a Texas Ranger, and now he's playing in the majors..."

DAD: (Bertface)

(Side note: How cool is it that my mom is named after Mickey Cochrane?)