Jump to content

Darth42

Hope Springs Eternal

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

I went to the whole series in Cleveland when they turned it around.  I used to be able to get there in an hour and a half, get box seats by the dugout, have a beer and a hotdog or two, and only spend around $20.

Yeah, I remember when $20 was a lot of money, or to say it differently when $20 would buy you something of value.  About 15 years earlier than that my friends and I used to go to the harness races and slowly lose $10 or $15 over the course of a long and enjoyable evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Yeah, I remember when $20 was a lot of money, or to say it differently when $20 would buy you something of value.  About 15 years earlier than that my friends and I used to go to the harness races and slowly lose $10 or $15 over the course of a long and enjoyable evening.

Good times.  I'd go to the thoroughbred track near me with $30 and bet mostly across the boards on whatever horse I picked and stay until I ran out of money or the last race.  I'd bet an exacta or two sometimes too.  We used to get the racing form and hang out in a neighbor's garage while going over all the speed ratings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

Good times.  I'd go to the thoroughbred track near me with $30 and bet mostly across the boards on whatever horse I picked and stay until I ran out of money or the last race.  I'd bet an exacta or two sometimes too.  We used to get the racing form and hang out in a neighbor's garage while going over all the speed ratings.

That is so much fun, and studying the racing form is the highlight when you just don't have a clue about what you're doing.  By the end of the night you're betting based on the colours that the jockey is wearing.  I live about an hour from Fort Erie where they still run the thoroughbreds, and every summer I promise myself that I'm going to spend a day there and I never get around to it.  This year for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best game in a long time.  I love beating Cleveland.  If I had said we would be one game back at this point back in April someone in a white suit would've been chasing me with a huge butterfly net.  But we're one game back!

 

Magic number: 124

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

That is so much fun, and studying the racing form is the highlight when you just don't have a clue about what you're doing.  By the end of the night you're betting based on the colours that the jockey is wearing.  I live about an hour from Fort Erie where they still run the thoroughbreds, and every summer I promise myself that I'm going to spend a day there and I never get around to it.  This year for sure.

I've been to Fort Erie.  It's a really pretty track.  Those races were tough because the field was so even.  It always seemed like the whole field was within ten lengths.

I would average the speed ratings + the daily differential for the horse's last five races at that distance or close to it.  I'd adjust my pick a little if a horse had won easily or seemed to have gotten hurt.  Most of the time I came out pretty close to even for the night and had fun. 

I lived about 4 miles by road (less than two miles as the crow flies) from where Commodore Downs was.  We could hear race calls in our back yard if the weather was right.  They had some mismatches where there were only three or four horses with a realistic chance.  We used to watch for trainers switching distances on good horses so their odds would go up.  They'd run a great 5 furlong horse at 6.5 for a few races and people would think it was hurt unless they looked closely.  Once they dropped him back to 5 he would run his best race of the year at higher odds.  We spotted one where a horse had won five or six mile races in a row so they moved him up to longer races and he would come in fourth or fifth.  When they moved him back to a mile his morning line was around 15-1.  I put everything I had in my pocket on him, $20 across the board.  He went off at around 8-1 after his owner/trainer dropped a bunch of money on him but that race paid for my gas money for my senior year of high school.  (I looked older than I was and they probably didn't care)  I think he paid more to place than win after all the late money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

I've been to Fort Erie.  It's a really pretty track.  Those races were tough because the field was so even.  It always seemed like the whole field was within ten lengths.

I would average the speed ratings + the daily differential for the horse's last five races at that distance or close to it.  I'd adjust my pick a little if a horse had won easily or seemed to have gotten hurt.  Most of the time I came out pretty close to even for the night and had fun. 

I lived about 4 miles by road (less than two miles as the crow flies) from where Commodore Downs was.  We could hear race calls in our back yard if the weather was right.  They had some mismatches where there were only three or four horses with a realistic chance.  We used to watch for trainers switching distances on good horses so their odds would go up.  They'd run a great 5 furlong horse at 6.5 for a few races and people would think it was hurt unless they looked closely.  Once they dropped him back to 5 he would run his best race of the year at higher odds.  We spotted one where a horse had won five or six mile races in a row so they moved him up to longer races and he would come in fourth or fifth.  When they moved him back to a mile his morning line was around 15-1.  I put everything I had in my pocket on him, $20 across the board.  He went off at around 8-1 after his owner/trainer dropped a bunch of money on him but that race paid for my gas money for my senior year of high school.  (I looked older than I was and they probably didn't care)  I think he paid more to place than win after all the late money.

That's all so true, and it was so much fun.  At the harness races in St. Catharines (it closed long ago) there was the "feature race" most nights and it was surprising how often the odds-on favourite would have to pull up, and the groans of "FFS" would be so audible that it just seemed like it had to have been rigged.  But somehow you didn't even mind being cheated, that was just part of the evening's entertainment. 

What I also liked about The Racing Form was that it gave you the track conditions for past performances, like was it muddy or not, as if that would help anybody as clueless as we were.  It's just such a great way to spend an afternoon or evening and if anybody else is reading this besides you and me, get yourself out to a harness or thoroughbred track at some point between now and the day that you die, you can't have any more fun than this for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

That's all so true, and it was so much fun.  At the harness races in St. Catharines (it closed long ago) there was the "feature race" most nights and it was surprising how often the odds-on favourite would have to pull up, and the groans of "FFS" would be so audible that it just seemed like it had to have been rigged.  But somehow you didn't even mind being cheated, that was just part of the evening's entertainment. 

What I also liked about The Racing Form was that it gave you the track conditions for past performances, like was it muddy or not, as if that would help anybody as clueless as we were.  It's just such a great way to spend an afternoon or evening and if anybody else is reading this besides you and me, get yourself out to a harness or thoroughbred track at some point between now and the day that you die, you can't have any more fun than this for the money.

Blackjack is fun too.  And it has better odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

Blackjack is fun too.  And it has better odds.

I really suck at cards.  I suck at horse racing too but it takes longer to lose the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 10:31 PM, Charles Liston said:

I really suck at cards.  I suck at horse racing too but it takes longer to lose the money.

Just count 2-6 as plus one and 10-A as minus one.  If you get to plus the number of decks or greater, play more aggressively and don't hit anything likely to bust.  I will let it ride the first time I win a hand on a neutral or favorable deck.  Then pull back my original bet if I win again so that I'm now playing with three units of their money.  If I win again I pull back one unit and play with five units of their money.

The last time I played I started out with $100 and said that was it.  It was a $10 table.  I got to about $200 ahead and the shoe was way favorable.  My wife showed up when I was on five units.  I handed her my original hundred and told her the rest was the house's money.  I got dealt a pair of threes and the dealer had a six showing.  I split them and got another three so I had to split again.  I played one hand and got 19 or 20.  The next one got a ten count and I stayed with 13.  The next one drew a seven so I "had to" double.  I had all the money I was up out on the table and have never had that much out on one hand.  That was about the time that I noticed there were a lot of people watching.  I drew a ten count on the double and the dealer had 15 or 16 and busted.  I tipped him $25 and got out of there.  I don't think my wife noticed the value of the chips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 9:37 PM, Charles Liston said:

Sounds like a nice evening.  My friends and I were never sophisticated enough to count.

It doesn't always work.  I've lost a lot when a dealer drew a 5 on 16. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 game winning streak.  I like this team.

 

Magic number:  108

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×