Darth42

Hope Springs Eternal

My comment was tongue in cheek.  I didn't really like the Gardenhire hire.  

I also think fans/media were too hard on Ausmus.  He's probably never going to be a great manager, but I think he did alright with what he had to work with.  He dealt with a lot of injuries, something Gardenhire hasn't had to deal with yet. 

The main problem I had with Gardenhire is his reputation with young players.  He just doesn't know how to communicate with them and prefers having veterans.  We saw that with opening day, picking Zimmermann over Fulmer.  And we see that recently with the whole Daniel Norris/Mike Fiers situation.  At least now he's saying he's considering Machado leading off over Martin, which would be an improvement.  Even with Machado hitting well, he's still batting him 9th.  This is a rebuilding year, I want to see what the younger guys have to offer.  Put them in more critical roles and see how they handle the pressure.  

But hey, we're winning.  

43 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

My comment was tongue in cheek.  I didn't really like the Gardenhire hire.  

I also think fans/media were too hard on Ausmus.  He's probably never going to be a great manager, but I think he did alright with what he had to work with.  He dealt with a lot of injuries, something Gardenhire hasn't had to deal with yet. 

The main problem I had with Gardenhire is his reputation with young players.  He just doesn't know how to communicate with them and prefers having veterans.  We saw that with opening day, picking Zimmermann over Fulmer.  And we see that recently with the whole Daniel Norris/Mike Fiers situation.  At least now he's saying he's considering Machado leading off over Martin, which would be an improvement.  Even with Machado hitting well, he's still batting him 9th.  This is a rebuilding year, I want to see what the younger guys have to offer.  Put them in more critical roles and see how they handle the pressure.  

But hey, we're winning.  

Well, this is one of those fans who was hard on Ausmus,   I thought he was perfectly abysmal so even if Gardenhire is just mediocre he should be an improvement. As to opening day, I think based on all their results last year - which were poor, they could have drawn lots and it wouldn't have mattered much, and I don't even like Zimmerman.

I was really high on Norris two years ago, but he since then he has pretty much regressed. He needs to straighten a bunch of stuff out (including his delivery) before I'm going to be concerned that they need to give him more run.

Machado to me is another one of the placeholders. I don't think he is going to be here if/when they start challenging for the division again so where he bats vs Martin (also a placeholder) is just deck chair re-arranging to me.

23 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

I hate losing to Cleveland.

I hate losing .. period.

• Like 2

I'm guessing that Gardenhire is a garden-variety traditional manager who will have to use enough advanced stats to be decent/competitive with most of the paint-by-numbers managers out there.

I am **hoping** that he has a "way" with handling pitchers, in concert with the new PC, Bosio, where he could do fairly well with the rotation and bullpen....that is to say, maybe pitching will be below average to bad instead of completely horrible.

I realize that the organization is focused on tanking, but I believe that they upgraded the Manager position.  That's not saying much, I realize.

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Well, this is one of those fans who was hard on Ausmus,   I thought he was perfectly abysmal so even if Gardenhire is just mediocre he should be an improvement. As to opening day, I think based on all their results last year - which were poor, they could have drawn lots and it wouldn't have mattered much, and I don't even like Zimmerman.

I was really high on Norris two years ago, but he since then he has pretty much regressed. He needs to straighten a bunch of stuff out (including his delivery) before I'm going to be concerned that they need to give him more run.

Machado to me is another one of the placeholders. I don't think he is going to be here if/when they start challenging for the division again so where he bats vs Martin (also a placeholder) is just deck chair re-arranging to me.

Yeah, I agree with this.

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Well, this is one of those fans who was hard on Ausmus,  

Me too Gehringer.  I gave Brad the benefit of a doubt his first season.  After that, Brad wasn't successful considering what he had to work with.  

I believe Gardenhire will manage his players better and get them back to above average in basic baseball fundamentals ..something it seems Brad was incapable of doing. 

Tigers will still lose upwards of 96+ games this season .. but they should at least come out game after game and look like they are giving 100% effort the vast majority of the time. 

That really is the best we can expect right now.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:28 PM, Tigrrfan said:

Me too Gehringer.  I gave Brad the benefit of a doubt his first season.  After that, Brad wasn't successful considering what he had to work with.  

I believe Gardenhire will manage his players better and get them back to above average in basic baseball fundamentals ..something it seems Brad was incapable of doing. 

Tigers will still lose upwards of 96+ games this season .. but they should at least come out game after game and look like they are giving 100% effort the vast majority of the time. 

That really is the best we can expect right now.

That's where I was too.  I was all for firing him after his second season.

“I believe Gardenhire will manage his players better and get them back to above average in basic baseball fundamentals..something it seems Brad was incapable of doing.”

When you’re looking to your ML manager to “get them back above average in basic fundamentals...” you’ve pretty much already lost the battle. This was/is an organization issue that shouldn’t be something that is consuming time at the top, although I know it is happening to date. Amazes me every year how many major league players are devoid of fundamental skills. 

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

“I believe Gardenhire will manage his players better and get them back to above average in basic baseball fundamentals..something it seems Brad was incapable of doing.”

When you’re looking to your ML manager to “get them back above average in basic fundamentals...” you’ve pretty much already lost the battle. This was/is an organization issue that shouldn’t be something that is consuming time at the top, although I know it is happening to date. Amazes me every year how many major league players are devoid of fundamental skills. 

That's what I was thinking today when a certain right fielder missed both cutoff men today.

Tigers win!  One straight and a decent game.

Magic number:  154   Stranger things have happened but I'm not counting on it.

1 minute ago, Darth42 said:

Tigers win!  One straight and a decent game.

Magic number:  154   Stranger things have happened but I'm not counting on it.

I never expected to see this thread again this year.  Let's hope they get it down to something reasonable by the end of the year

• Like 1

I like these new guys.  Three straight.

Magic number:  151

Okay, I love this team.  Four straight.

Magic number:  150.

I got called in to work and it looks like I missed a great game.  I'm glad MLB archives games. 

Magic number:  147

Wow, that magic number is dropping like a stone.  The Tigers are only 1.5 games back of the division lead.  Yes, 3.5 out of the wildcard, but who needs that?  Winning the division is a lead pipe cinch right now.  This is the most thrilling pennant race in years.

Work has gotten in the way of posting.  Great game tonight and it's even better to see Miggy hitting.

Magic number:  141

I haven't had a chance to be on much lately but I think we're ahead of the 1987 team at this point.  They were 11-19 to start.

28 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

I haven't had a chance to be on much lately but I think we're ahead of the 1987 team at this point.  They were 11-19 to start.

But...but...but... was the first place team in 1987 a .500 team at this point?

42 minutes ago, Darth42 said:

I had forgotten all about that.  Probably because at 11-19 I wanted to shoot myself.  Somehow that loaded '83 to '87 team - Lemon, Parrish, Trammell and Whitaker up the middle, Gibson the animal in right, starters like Morris and Petry, relievers like Hernandez and Lopez - only got to the World Series once.  That was a major disappointment then, and it still is. 

12 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Somehow that loaded '83 to '87 team - Lemon, Parrish, Trammell and Whitaker up the middle, Gibson the animal in right, starters like Morris and Petry, relievers like Hernandez and Lopez - only got to the World Series once.

The core '83-'87 team potentially could/should have won more than one World Series Championship.  Some blamed Sparky ..and ironically, some of those same blamers refuse to blame Brad for 2014-2017.

That 84 team's 35-5 start was baseball's best ever and so glad to have been a Tiger fan through it.

Gibby and Morris both won WS Championships after leaving Detroit ..as has JV now.  Which Tiger is next?  Maybe JUp or JD ..or Max?

5 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

The core '83-'87 team potentially could/should have won more than one World Series Championship.  Some blamed Sparky ..and ironically, some of those same blamers refuse to blame Brad for 2014-2017.

That 84 team's 35-5 start was baseball's best ever and so glad to have been a Tiger fan through it.

Gibby and Morris both won WS Championships after leaving Detroit ..as has JV now.  Which Tiger is next?  Maybe JUp or JD ..or Max?

that was a great team on the field, but the starting pitching staff was never championship caliber again after '84

I love hearing Cleveland's announcers when they lose.  (Other than Rick Manning, he's okay).  A quarter of the way through the season we're only 2 games out. 

Magic number:  126.  It could go down one more; the Twins are tied in the fifth.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:06 PM, Charles Liston said:

I had forgotten all about that.  Probably because at 11-19 I wanted to shoot myself.  Somehow that loaded '83 to '87 team - Lemon, Parrish, Trammell and Whitaker up the middle, Gibson the animal in right, starters like Morris and Petry, relievers like Hernandez and Lopez - only got to the World Series once.  That was a major disappointment then, and it still is. 

I went to the whole series in Cleveland when they turned it around.  I used to be able to get there in an hour and a half, get box seats by the dugout, have a beer and a hotdog or two, and only spend around $20.