Mr.TaterSalad

Ken Holland Expected to Return With or Without a Contract

M-Live: Ken Holland Expected to Return With or Without a Contract

DETROIT - Ken Holland will return as general manager of the Detroit Red Wings next season, with or without a contact, a source told MLive.

You have got to be BLEEPING KIDDING ME!!! How can this be? Is Chris Illitch asleep at the switch? Does Illitch not see all of the terrible moves this guy has made time and again? All the terrible trades, contract extensions, free agent signings, refusal to rebuild, etc.? 

And a GM running the show without a contract? What the **** is that? Are they literally going to let a guy make personnel decision without being under contract? A guy that could pack up and leave can make franchise altering moves? 

Blashill's expected to return as well, because "rebuilding on the fly" has been such an an overwhelming success...

SMH.

I was encouraged by the Athletic article discussing Chris Illitch making effort and putting time in to evaluate the front office and their vision for the future.  Then the article rounded out by saying that he was likely to be back.  I still didn't want to believe... 

Get ready for long term extensions for Green and Howard during the off-season.

4 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Sir, where's your bathroom at? I think I'm going to be sick.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Sir, where's your bathroom at? I think I'm going to be sick.

Image result for joe louis arena urinals

14 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Honestly, I will say Holland trading away Mrazek and Tatar gives me hope he won't do something dumb like this...but not much hope.

2 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Honestly, I will say Holland trading away Mrazek and Tatar gives me hope he won't do something dumb like this...but not much hope.

Holland will be tempted to use any cap space freed from the Mrazek and Tatar trades to sign more long-term extensions.  He has a pattern of behavior that demonstrates this, and I expect nothing different this off-season.

Just now, Euphdude said:

Holland will be tempted to use any cap space freed from the Mrazek and Tatar trades to sign more long-term extensions.  He has a pattern of behavior that demonstrates this, and I expect nothing different this off-season.

Luckily he needs to give deals to Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Frk, and Athanasiou...although fine without Frk and AA.  Wouldn't mind a long deal for Larkin + Bertuzzi and a bridge for Mantha.  It'll be an interesting off season.  Especially with a ton of draft picks.

15 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Luckily he needs to give deals to Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Frk, and Athanasiou...although fine without Frk and AA.  Wouldn't mind a long deal for Larkin + Bertuzzi and a bridge for Mantha.  It'll be an interesting off season.  Especially with a ton of draft picks.

I don't expect Frk to be offered, and the Wings might decide to part ways with AA.  A long-term deal for Larkin is definitely in order, and I'd like to see more from Bert before committing to him long-term.

If Holland comes out and says they are doing a full rebuild, I'll feel better about the off-season.  If he tries to sell us snake oil with his "rebuild on the fly" malarkey, it will be game over man.  Game over.

14 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I'd like to see more from Bert before committing to him long-term.

It would be my hope that they could lock him into a (lower cap hit) Jarnkrok type deal.  I think he's shown enough in the AHL and NHL that he can be a solid third liner at least, but granted I admit that I'm probably higher on him than most (part of it being that he's been one of the few players I've enjoyed watching this year in Detroit).  But that's only if they can suppress the cap hit to below Glendening at the very least, otherwise just bridge him.

I just looked up his underlying stats and you're probably closer to reality than I am in regards to little Bert.

Isn't keeping Blashill a good indicator that the Wings will be a bottom 5 team next year? Which is what many people want anyways. I don't think there's much for a GM to do the next 12 months except draft well this June, negotiate some decent deals with Larkin and Mantha, don't sign any old guys this July from within or outside of the organization, and then watch the team suck again next year for another high pick. If Holland has a blah summer like last summer, it's no big deal either way. The real heavy lifting for a GM with this team comes the summer of 2019 onwards, IMO.

I'd also add attempt to acquire bounce back candidates on the cheap this summer, with the hope of spinning them off at next year's trade deadline for draft picks.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd also add attempt to acquire bounce back candidates on the cheap this summer, with the hope of spinning them off at next year's trade deadline.

Filppula is going to be a free agent!

On 3/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd also add attempt to acquire bounce back candidates on the cheap this summer, with the hope of spinning them off at next year's trade deadline for draft picks.

I’m a little disappointed Tigers didn’t do more of that this year. Especially with FA being much more affordable then recent years.

We had it really good with Mike Ilitch and Bill Davidson, but sadly all good things must come to an end. 

You know what, Tiger fans?   This is your future.   Chris only cares about saving money, not winning.      This is very disheartening.     I really hope the family sells the Tigers. 

Who woulda thought Martha Ford-Firestone Tires would be the best owner in town? Not me, but she is.

And this stupid team goes and wins meaningless games the last two weeks.    They can't even lose right.    This is tough to see, and we are spoiled.