ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'll stick with the stuttering story.  Nicknames were definitely not PC back then.

Dummy Hoy.

They had better nickname in general then, but some of them were just nasty.  

Bootnose Hoffman

Ray Schalk was known as Cracker.

Fats Fothergill (several other players were known as Blimp, Fatty, Fats, Porky, etc., though Fothergill was probably the most famous)

Harlond Clift was known as Darky because a teammate mistakenly thought his first name was Harlem.

Ernie Lombardi was known as Schnozz.

When I was a kid one of the local guys had a really big nose.  His nickname:  Beak.  When my dad was a kid, one of the local kids had a constantly running nose that dripped over his upper lip from both nostrils.  His nickname:  Eleven.

5 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

When I was a kid one of the local guys had a really big nose.  His nickname:  Beak.  When my dad was a kid, one of the local kids had a constantly running nose that dripped over his upper lip from both nostrils.  His nickname:  Eleven.

Actually, that'd be an interesting thread.  Great baseball names/nicknames.  They definitely don't make baseball names the way they used to.

GAME 23

WAR Position Players - 69.4 (T71) - Passed <Tony Gwynn> at 69.2.

Games Played - 2,248 (128) - Passed Larry Bowa and Todd Helton at 2,247.

At Bats - 8,402 (114) - Passed <Babe Ruth> at 8,399.

Plate Appearances - 9,623 (112) - Passed <Jesse Burkett> at 9,620.

Jesse Burkett was a deadball era hitting machine who specialized in singles, especially bunt singles, and getting on base.  He batted over .400 twice and held the record for most hits in a season (240 hits in 133 games) until Ty Cobb topped it in 1911.  He finished his career with a .415 OBP and was recognized as one of the best bunters to ever play the game. Back when foul balls weren't counted as strikes, he had a special knack for fouling off pitches until he found one he liked.  He also enjoyed rubbing it in when he spoiled an especially good pitch.  And he didn't miss many pitches, resulting in fewer than 30 or fewer strikeouts per season for half his career.  His ornery, combative attitude earned him the nickname "Crab" early in his career.  That attitude resulted in the New York Giants players refusing to give him, their coach, a winners share after their WS victories in 1921 and 1922.  One wonders if it may have also resulted in him getting hit by a car in 1935 when he was directing traffic near his home for the MS State Highway Dept.  

GAME 24

Plate Appearances - 9,627 (111) - Passed Bert Campaneris at 9,625.

Times on Base - 3,800 (68) - Passed <Billy Williams> at 3,799.

21 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 24

Plate Appearances - 9,627 (111) - Passed Bert Campaneris at 9,625.

Times on Base - 3,800 (68) - Passed <Billy Williams> at 3,799.

Sharpen your pencil after tonight's game, kt.

GAME 25

Hits - 2,665 (T72) - Passed <Nellie Fox> at 2,663.

And one I missed from before:

Grounded Into Double Plays - 298 (T10) - Passed <Brooks Robinson> and RUSTY STAUB at 297.

Among the Tiger lists:

Doubles - 371 (8) - Passed Hank Greenberg at 366.

Walks - 757 (10) - Passed Hank Greenberg at 748.

Singles - 1,118 (11) - Passed Bill Freehan at 1,115.

Wow, I'm surprised that 5 RBI didn't move him up on the career list.  Who is next, and how far away is he?  I could look this up for myself I guess.

5 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Wow, I'm surprised that 5 RBI didn't move him up on the career list.  Who is next, and how far away is he?  I could look this up for myself I guess.

Miggy needed 7 RBIs at the start of play today to reach Ernie Banks.  The lists have some wide separations.  Miggy is navigating several of them now.

4 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Miggy needed 7 RBIs at the start of play today to reach Ernie Banks.  The lists have some wide separations.  Miggy is navigating several of them now.

OK thanks.  A couple of more days like today should make a big difference.  I just love Ernie Banks, who is still alive today at 86  but I don't know what kind of health that he is in.  If he is still following baseball, you'd have to think that he would be very pleased to see Miguel move up.   

9 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

OK thanks.  A couple of more days like today should make a big difference.  I just love Ernie Banks, who is still alive today at 86  but I don't know what kind of health that he is in.  If he is still following baseball, you'd have to think that he would be very pleased to see Miguel move up.   

Thought he passed away a couple of years ago.  But Billy Williams is still around.  They both just loved the game, just every day they could be on a field.  And they'd appreciate how Miggy enjoys playing the game.

4 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Thought he passed away a couple of years ago.  But Billy Williams is still around.  They both just loved the game, just every day they could be on a field.  And they'd appreciate how Miggy enjoys playing the game.

Oh you're right, he died in 2015.  Baseball-Ref doesn't have that, that's strange.

What a team that was in the mid-to-late-sixties - Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Ferguson Jenkins.  Ernie was well past his prime and wasn't contributing very much, but still.

Billy Williams was such an awesome player, somewhat overshadowed by his peers like Mays, Aaron, Clemente, and Frank Robinson.  He was one of the all-time greats to be sure.

10 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Oh you're right, he died in 2015.  Baseball-Ref doesn't have that, that's strange.

What a team that was in the mid-to-late-sixties - Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Ferguson Jenkins.  Ernie was well past his prime and wasn't contributing very much, but still.

Billy Williams was such an awesome player, somewhat overshadowed by his peers like Mays, Aaron, Clemente, and Frank Robinson.  He was one of the all-time greats to be sure.

Williams was highly productive in Chicago for over a dozen years.  Miggy is one of the few players that has shown the same consistency, but at an even higher level (at least until last year).  It shows how staying healthy and avoiding injury is so critical in this game.  It's another reason why the 162 game schedule is important.  It tests individuals and organizations alike.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Should of DFA'd him.

I'm sure he'd fly through waivers.  We could use his bat in Toledo.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Given his contract, it is possible -> probable he would pass through waivers.

almost certainly I would think. OTOH - it is pretty doubtful he would accept assignment! 🕊️

Today he passed Gardy on the way to the dressing room. Not good.

GAME 30

WAR Position Players - 69.5 (71) - Passed <Tim Raines> and Manny Ramirez at 69.4.

Hits - 2,666 (72) - Passed <Max Carey> and <George Davis> at 2,665.

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Today he passed Gardy on the way to the dressing room. Not good.

Really too bad.  He was hitting the ball well.  We might be looking at a 10 day DL.