Jump to content

ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

Recommended Posts

On 9/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, tiger337 said:

I just learned today that Zack Wheat had a brother Mack who was his teammate for five years in Brooklyn.  

He had a lot of brothers: Zack Rice, Zack Oats, Zack Rye, Zach Barley . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GAME 47

Walks - 1,157 (70) - Passed LUIS GONZALEZ at 1155 and MAX BISHOP at 1,156.

Times on Base - 4,077 (42) - Passed <CHARLIE GEHRINGER> at 4,075.

Max Bishop is second to Ted Williams on the MLB career list for walk percentage.  He and Williams are the only two players with a percentage equal to or greater than 20%.  He was an integral part of the A's teams that won pennants from 1929 through 1931.  He and Mickey Cochrane developed a friendship on those teams, which resulted in Cochrane hiring Bishop as a scout for the Tigers in 1937.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max Bishop was 5-8 165 lbs and walked over 100 times eight years in a row.  You don't get any grittier than that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 47

Walks - 1,157 (70) - Passed LUIS GONZALEZ at 1155 and MAX BISHOP at 1,156.

Times on Base - 4,077 (42) - Passed <CHARLIE GEHRINGER> at 4,075.

Max Bishop is second to Ted Williams on the MLB career list for walk percentage.  He and Williams are the only two players with a percentage equal to or greater than 20%.  He was an integral part of the A's teams that won pennants from 1929 through 1931.  He and Mickey Cochrane developed a friendship on those teams, which resulted in Cochrane hiring Bishop as a scout for the Tigers in 1937.

 

Barry Bonds is above 20 percent, too.  By the  commonly used formula  Walks/(At-Bats + Walks), he is at 20.62 percent.

If you go by Walks/Plate Appearances, he's still at 20.29 percent.

Bishop's rates by those two formulas are 20.46 and 19.96 percent, respectively.

Strangely, Walk Like a Sabermetrician doesn't even list Bishop among the career leaders.  Maybe they have a really high cutoff for minimum Plate Appearances or something, but even though Bishop didn't have a huge career, 4494 At-Bats and 5793 Plate Appearances isn't exactly a cup of coffee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Barry Bonds is above 20 percent, too.  By the  commonly used formula  Walks/(At-Bats + Walks), he is at 20.62 percent.

If you go by Walks/Plate Appearances, he's still at 20.29 percent.

Helps when during your mid/late 30s you have a 4-yr stretch with 755 total BBs, and a .609 obp at age 39. 

.609. Go 3-5 and have your obp go down 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Barry Bonds is above 20 percent, too.  By the  commonly used formula  Walks/(At-Bats + Walks), he is at 20.62 percent.

If you go by Walks/Plate Appearances, he's still at 20.29 percent.

Bishop's rates by those two formulas are 20.46 and 19.96 percent, respectively.

Strangely, Walk Like a Sabermetrician doesn't even list Bishop among the career leaders.  Maybe they have a really high cutoff for minimum Plate Appearances or something, but even though Bishop didn't have a huge career, 4494 At-Bats and 5793 Plate Appearances isn't exactly a cup of coffee.

Wow, a Walk Like a Sabermetrician reader.  You maybe be redeemable after all.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Wow, a Walk Like a Sabermetrician reader.  You maybe be redeemable after all.  

Maybe for a dime, like an empty beer can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...