ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

GAME 2

Games Played - 2,402 (88) - Passed <Mickey Mantle> at 2,401.

Plate Appearances - 10,245 (T70) - Passed Jimmy Rollins at 10,240.

Runs Scored - 1,430 (84) - Passed <Harry Hooper> and Dummy Hoy at 1,429.

Home Runs - 478 (30) - Passed Adrian Beltre at 477.

Runs Batted In - 1,696 (28) - Passed <Cal Ripken, Jr.> at 1,695.

Extra Base Hits - 1,072 (27) - Passed <Mel Ott> at 1,071.

• Like 1

GAME 3

Plate Appearances - 10,249 (70) - Passed <CHARLIE GEHRINGER> at 10,245.

Walks - 1,137 (73) - Passed <Harry Hooper> at 1,136.

Total Bases - 4,857 (26) - Passed <Paul Molitor> at 4,854.

Back to back days passing Harry Hooper. Always good to bump a BoSox

• Like 1

Once again I just wanna say thanks to @ktpinnacle for updating this thread faithfully.  It's fun to look at history being made here.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Once again I just wanna say thanks to @ktpinnacle for updating this thread faithfully.  It's fun to look at history being made here.

I concur!

After so many years it's become force of habit!  I just hope that he remains healthy and we're actually able to finish whatever 2020 season we have.  

• Thanks 1

GAME 5

Games Played - 2,405 (85) - Passed <Sam Rice> and <Mike Schmidt> at 2,404.

Plate Appearances - 10,259 (69) - Passed <Luke Appling> at 10,254.

GAME 6

Games Played - 2,406 (85) - Passed BUDDY BELL at 2,405.

Plate Appearances - 10,262 (68) - Passed <Sam Rice> at 10,260.

Buddy Bell! Imho he had a better career than Harold Baines

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It is objective fact Bell had a more valuable career than Harold did.

In fact, it is known.

It is interesting to see Harry Hooper's name here.  He is somebody you don't hear about very often.  He was good for a long time, but never had a single great season.  He said in The Glory of Their Times that he got a degree in Civil Engineering.  

I remember thinking that Buddy Bell would be a good manager.  He looked like a manager.  

according to bbref's war ratings there were 353 better position players than harold baines.

including illustrious names like rafael furcal, mark belanger, and jim sundberg.

even though i think war overrates defense and baserunning and underrates baines, it still goes to show how putting him in the hall of fame is a joke.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

according to bbref's war ratings there were 353 better position players than harold baines.

including illustrious names like rafael furcal, mark belanger, and jim sundberg.

even though i think war overrates defense and baserunning and underrates baines, it still goes to show how putting him in the hall of fame is a joke.

How does WAR overrate baserunning?  

I don't think it overrates defense in general, but there are some cases where it might overrate or underrate a particular player.  Overall, I think we get closer to the truth with defensive stats than without them.  I can't think of any examples where baserunning grossly influences a players WAR.   

11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

How does WAR overrate baserunning?  

I don't think it overrates defense in general, but there are some cases where it might overrate or underrate a particular player.  Overall, I think we get closer to the truth with defensive stats than without them.  I can't think of any examples where baserunning grossly influences a players WAR.   

i dont see how you accurately measure baserunning.  defense is hard enough to measure.

i also think that the ability to hit the ball is more important than defense or baserunning.  much more important.

23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i dont see how you accurately measure baserunning.  defense is hard enough to measure.

i also think that the ability to hit the ball is more important than defense or baserunning.  much more important.

I think baserunning is easier to measure than defense.  It's not that hard to determine who gained more bases than average.  Regardless, baserunning is such a small part of WAR, I don't see how it can distort it that much.  

Hitting is indeed more important than defense and WAR reflects that for most players.  However, I think an elite defender can save a team a huge amount of runs over his career and that needs to be taken into consideration.  You can't just rank players based on WAR, but it would be an even bigger mistake to just assume all defenders are equal and just look at hitting.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

It is interesting to see Harry Hooper's name here.  He is somebody you don't hear about very often.  He was good for a long time, but never had a single great season.  He said in The Glory of Their Times that he got a degree in Civil Engineering.  

Hooper did have three seasons with an OPS+ of 141, 137, and 133 (in his next-to-last year), and had three others in the 120s.  He had only two bad seasons, one of them his final campaign.

He led the league in a category only twice -- once in Plate Appearances and once in Sacrifice Bunts. 

He made it into the Hall of Fame in 1971, but probably shouldn't have.  The only really similar player to him who is in is Max Carey, and he too was a pretty dubious selection, although he did lead the league or the Majors in Stolen Bases ten times, Walks twice, and Runs once (he routinely scored a lot of runs).

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

Only Ozzie Smith has a higher career defensive WAR than Belanger. If he could have hit a lick he would be in the HOF. I just looked it up - BRobby is 3rd and Cal Ripken 4th on the all-time list. Orioles knew how to draft and develop infielders. Also had one of the greatest managers. Iirc Kaline was from Baltimore and wanted to sign there, but his father said he will get more playing time in Detroit so he signed with the good guys.

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

More like Jimmy Sheckard.

There was no one like Jimmy Sheckard.

4 hours ago, leflore said:

Only Ozzie Smith has a higher career defensive WAR than Belanger. If he could have hit a lick he would be in the HOF. I just looked it up - BRobby is 3rd and Cal Ripken 4th on the all-time list. Orioles knew how to draft and develop infielders. Also had one of the greatest managers. Iirc Kaline was from Baltimore and wanted to sign there, but his father said he will get more playing time in Detroit so he signed with the good guys.

I saw Belanger play and yes he was a fine defensive shortstop without doubt.

But..How much meaning can you assign to a defensive WAR number calculated from a pre Rdrs/UZR tracking era? Someone can generate a number for DWAR, but when there is little in the way of quantitative play/range  data behind  it, it is sort of a fantasy exercise isn't it?

GAME 7

At Bats - 8,975 (78) - Passed DARRELL EVANS at 8,973.

Tiger Extra Base Hits - 743 (5) - Passed Hank Greenberg at 741.