ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

5 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Yup.  If his right knee is the primary issue going forward, weight is the killer.  He's made comments indicating he's willing to get serious on his conditioning.  He's got the dough to do so - so does the team.  Hope he spends it wisely.

Has little to nothing to do with his wealth or the team's resources, it very largely has to do with his personal desire and willingness to change his habits (eating, drinking, sleeping) and sticking to an exercise regimen that facilitates weight loss without sacrificing power.

It requires a fundamental life-style change and that isn't easy for anyone to do.  That is why so few are able to lose weight and keep it off.  It is easier to start young and maintain.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It is easier to start young and maintain.

From your post to Mr Paredes brain!

53 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Has little to nothing to do with his wealth or the team's resources, it very largely has to do with his personal desire and willingness to change his habits (eating, drinking, sleeping) and sticking to an exercise regimen that facilitates weight loss without sacrificing power.

It requires a fundamental life-style change and that isn't easy for anyone to do.  That is why so few are able to lose weight and keep it off.  It is easier to start young and maintain.

Agreed, but considering that his willpower is likely weak, having to answer to a trainer/nutritionist would help keep him on the straight and narrow.

On 9/29/2019 at 8:26 PM, ktpinnacle said:

My bold prediction for next year -- Miggy gets to 500 (home runs, not weight)

35 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Agreed, but considering that his willpower is likely weak, having to answer to a trainer/nutritionist would help keep him on the straight and narrow.

Is this trainer / nutritionist with him 24/7?

Honest question.  Maybe he could have a live in trainer.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Is this trainer / nutritionist with him 24/7?

Honest question.  Maybe he could have a live in trainer.

Live in his house, cook his meals, build him a gym if he needs one and work him out, and make him bigger than Miggy to prevent him from getting pushed around . . . 

This is an important year...hes acknowledged that his weight is an issue.  Does he have the professional and pride to do what's needed to bounce back from an off year....or is he just done.

He’s playing for a team that has no interest in winning. Why should he give a crap, seriously. His salary isn’t even a determinant anymore, for better or for worse. Again, what incentive exists for him to start over at his age? If there were peers on the team that were reputable name players and the fanbase was realistically expecting a competitive team with playoff aspirations I think Cabrera would do what was necessary to be equal to the overall expectations. As it is, I think he’s done.

Just read that on this day in 2012 .. Miggy officially won MLB's first Triple Crown since 1967.

Also read that on this date in 1968 ..Mickey Lolich hit his first ..and only ..career Home Run. 

Here's the link for the Lolich Home Run. For those old enough .. check out the faces in the dugout after Mickey runs the bases.

I'd like to think that Miggy finally understands he can't perform as he did relying on his skill set and a body that is now more prone to breaking down.  It has to be disheartening to have had serious injuries for three years running (core, back, calf, bicep, hand, did I miss anything?), and to now have to deal with a chronically bad knee.  I have no idea what he'll do, but it would be a shame to not put in the effort necessary to finish strong as possibly and show the kids how it's done.

48 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Why would Miggy try?  3,000 hits....500Hrs...first ballot HOF...

Well, he should be first ballot even if he walks away today and forgoes his remaining four years. I think there might be a question as to whether there’s any way he could possibly play his way out of a first ballot induction with four straight Chris Davis-level years. He’s got 69.6 WAR which, fun fact, is the exact same it was after his 2016 season three years ago. I’d bet he hangs on to his first ballot entry.

As for those benchmarks, we’re talking 185 hits and 23 homers. I don’t think Miggy feels any real any urgency to give up arepas (ha!) and kick his *** in the gym to reach them. I would imagine he believes he can achieve those standing on his head, if for no other reason then he is Miguel ****ing Cabrera. ****, he’s basically treaded water for three seasons now and he still has managed to accumulate almost 300 hits and 30 homers during that time. I don’t think he’s worried about falling short.

I too think Miggy is not serious, and my cue was he announced his intentions in jocular, rather than serious, tones. Also, as someone else here pointed out, if he’s setting a target date to start getting real about diet and exercise and is going to pig out and lay about until then, then how seriously should we take him?

On 9/30/2019 at 2:38 PM, lordstanley said:

On the other hand, I do think it is fair to have threatened to call CPS on any dad who watched this year's Tigers on TV while minors under 10 years of age were in the room.

i went through this whole thread wondering why all of you who live outside chicago were threatening to call Chicago Public Schools on kids...

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, he should be first ballot even if he walks away today and forgoes his remaining four years. I think there might be a question as to whether there’s any way he could possibly play his way out of a first ballot induction with four straight Chris Davis-level years. He’s got 69.6 WAR which, fun fact, is the exact same it was after his 2016 season three years ago. I’d bet he hangs on to his first ballot entry.

As for those benchmarks, we’re talking 185 hits and 23 homers. I don’t think Miggy feels any real any urgency to give up arepas (ha!) and kick his *** in the gym to reach them. I would imagine he believes he can achieve those standing on his head, if for no other reason then he is Miguel ****ing Cabrera. ****, he’s basically treaded water for three seasons now and he still has managed to accumulate almost 300 hits and 30 homers during that time. I don’t think he’s worried about falling short.

I too think Miggy is not serious, and my cue was he announced his intentions in jocular, rather than serious, tones. Also, as someone else here pointed out, if he’s setting a target date to start getting real about diet and exercise and is going to pig out and lay about until then, then how seriously should we take him?

people miggy's age dont usually change, especially not when he's guaranteed $30 million a year no matter what.  i dont expect him to get in shape or, if he does, to make it last long.

Being injured isn't treading water.  If anything, he was treading water when he wasn't working out in the offseason and hitting at an MVP level year after year.  And we don't know what injuries he played through when he was playing 150+ games a season.  I often wonder how he would be today if he played 145-150 games a year and took better care of himself.  

I agree - he's a first ballot HOFer.  But his level of effort this summer and beyond, and how he relates to his young teammates, will also define how we remember him.

I think it's  a bit silly to say Miggy isn't serious because he expressed himself in a jocular manner...that seems to be his nature in general.  

Miggy is an easy target ..may be the easiest target the Tigers have had in at least the past 50 seasons.  Not sure what the numbers are throughout all of MLB ..but seems Miggy has had more injuries (serious injuries) since mid2013 than any other player in MLB.  

I am extremely disappointed he seems to lack the desire to put forth 100% effort 100% of the time.  None of us know how much pain he has played with through all his injuries ..including this year with his 'chronic knee injury'.  I do know it must be serious if a player of his size and hitting ability cannot generate enough power to hit at least a dozen Home Runs in this day and age of the jack-rabbit ball.  It is depressing that he has not already produced 3000 hits and 500 Home Runs ..and not going to be anywhere near 600 Home Runs w/2000+ RBI's.

I still have high hopes that he will hit better next year ..and I'll hang on to my high hopes until he proves otherwise.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

I think it's  a bit silly to say Miggy isn't serious because he expressed himself in a jocular manner...that seems to be his nature in general.  

I’m thinking there’s an inverse relationship between jocularity and seriousness. :)

But OK, I’ll bite. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and see what kind of shape he shows up in come February.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and see what kind of shape he shows up in come February.

I'll go with fluffy.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:21 PM, Tigrrfan said:

Just read that on this day in 2012 .. Miggy officially won MLB's first Triple Crown since 1967.

Also read that on this date in 1968 ..Mickey Lolich hit his first ..and only ..career Home Run. 

Here's the link for the Lolich Home Run. For those old enough .. check out the faces in the dugout after Mickey runs the bases.

Lolich was considered chunky when he played.....and in this video he's in better shape than Miggy was this year.

11 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Lolich was considered chunky when he played.....and in this video he's in better shape than Miggy was this year.

True, although when adjusted for league and park factors, Lolich’s wWC+ (weighted weight created plus) was much higher than Miggy’s is.

• Like 1