ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

GAME 64

Games Played - 2,325 (106) - Passed Frank White at 2,324.

At Bats - 8,676 (97) - Passed Chili Davis at 8,673.

GAME 66

At Bats - 8,683 (94) - Passed Ted Simmons at 8,680.

Home Runs - 469 (34) - Passed <Chipper Jones> at 468.

Times on Base - 3,912 (54) Passed Todd Helton at 3,911.

Miggy drove that ball hard to right. Maybe he'll break out with a little more long ball power now

His ball velocity was ticking up.  I like how Skip is taking him out toward the end of games that are out of reach or if we need a better baserunner in a close game.  But he is whiffing at a higher rate versus walks than normal.  That third AB last night was a good example.  He's still swinging at a lot of sliders way outside, but gave up on that third strike by Plutko.  I think he's still dialing it in. At least i hope so.

GAME 67

At Bats - 8,687 (93) - Passed Bert Campanaris at 8,684.

Hits - 2,744 (57) - Passed Al Oliver at 2,743.

Total Bases - 4,752 (33) - Passed Carlos Beltran at 4,751.

Singles - 1,691 (T119) - Passed Joe Judge and Michael Young at 1,689.

Is it me or does Miggy seem to pass Carlos Beltran an awful lot. And Al Oliver was a great hitter.

When he was healthy - back when I was tracking this on the MLB website - Miggy, Beltran and Beltre were neck-and-neck on several lists.  They would pass each other constantly.  Then Miggy dropped off, especially on the K and various hits lists while Beltre and Beltran continued to move up.  Now that they are retired, we'll see Beltran and hopefully Beltre come up more often.  

Al Oliver really was good.  Lifetime .300 hitter, runner-up for ROY, 7-time all-star, usually in the MVP voting, and a respectable 43.7 WAR in CF - same as Andrew McCutchen.

GAME 69

Games Played - 2,329 (105) - Passed Bert Campaneris at 2,328.

Singles - 1,693 (118) - Passed Jason Kendall at 1,691 and Stan Hack at 1,692.

The year I became a Tigers fan was '72 (I was 6) and I still remember Campy throwing his bat at LaGrow in the ALCS

19 minutes ago, leflore said:

The year I became a Tigers fan was '72 (I was 6) and I still remember Campy throwing his bat at LaGrow in the ALCS

Billy took defending his guys seriously.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:42 AM, ktpinnacle said:

I think Campy may have been glad the umpires held Billy back.  No doubt Billy would have been swinging fists at face.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:42 PM, ktpinnacle said:

I loved Billy and have most of his cards including a nice 1952 Topps, his rookie card. But I do think he shortened many starting pitchers careers by having them pitch too many innings. That includes Joe Coleman who was mostly washed up by his late 20s. Look at Lolich's IP during that era. Crazy numbers. FWIW I think Mickey should be in the hof.

18 minutes ago, leflore said:

I loved Billy and have most of his cards including a nice 1952 Topps, his rookie card. But I do think he shortened many starting pitchers careers by having them pitch too many innings. That includes Joe Coleman who was mostly washed up by his late 20s. Look at Lolich's IP during that era. Crazy numbers. FWIW I think Mickey should be in the hof.

He wasn't the only one.  Ralph Houk burned out a few arms as well.  The level of concern has become proportional to the monetary investment by the owners IMO.  Sometimes I think that only the freaks of nature have survived the trial by fire that a full season places on arms, especially with the focus on high 90's heaters and certain types of splitters.

36 minutes ago, leflore said:

Remember that 80's Oakland staff that had all 5 starters complete 20 games Or more...yeah Billy burned some pitching staffs out..

32 minutes ago, Champ79' said:

Remember that 80's Oakland staff that had all 5 starters complete 20 games Or more...yeah Billy burned some pitching staffs out..

Sure seems that way.  None of them were worth a damn into their late 20's.

GAME 72

Total Bases - 4,756 (32) - Passed <Chipper Jones> at 4,755.

Walks - 1,110 (77) - Passed Carlos Delgado at 1,109.

Singles - 1,695 (117) - Passed Ted Simmons at 1,694.

25 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 73

Games Played - 2,333 (104) - Passed Steve Garvey at 2,332.

you must mean "Steve Garvey, the Baseball Player"

GAME 74

Hits - 2,750 (56) - Passed <Luke Appling> at 2,749.

Strikeouts - 1,711 (35) - Passed <Mickey Mantle> at 1,710.