ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

5 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Really too bad.  He was hitting the ball well.  We might be looking at a 10 day DL.

Definitely yes, with an OPS over .900 the way that it should be.  There really needs to be a way to manage his physical limitations.

10 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Definitely yes, with an OPS over .900 the way that it should be.  There really needs to be a way to manage his physical limitations.

I think they are very busy finding out what those limitations are as we go.  He's become quite the High-Maintenace Miggy.

24 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

I think they are very busy finding out what those limitations are as we go.  He's become quite the High-Maintenace Miggy.

I hope so.  I have been hoping for an Ortiz-like flourish to the last few years of his career but it doesn't look like happening right now.

The difference is Verlander had one injury whereas Cabrera seems to breaking down all over.  I also have hope that Cabrera can be like Ortiz for a few years, but I think it's going to require a switch to DH plus a lot work on his part staying in condition.  Even then, I think his body type makes it difficult to avoid injuries.  

People were ragging on Scherzer as well.  

I have no problem with Miggy not playing full seasons, as long as he's productive when he plays.  If that means DH, so be it.  Find an improvement on defense at 1B. Hopefully the next Cody Bellinger.  

No one in their right minds should expect MVP Miggy to return.  But everyone should be aware that all of the fairly recent non-chemically-enhanced greats (Aaron, Mays, Schmidt, Robinson . . . ) played shorter seasons once they hit their early to mid 30's.  Griffey didn't play full seasons after 32.  They question is whether Miggy fades quickly as some have or if he can play at a high level with good care and clean living until his contract is up.

2 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Miggy to 10-Day DL.  We will return when he does.

Please search for a yoga program to begin.

Already training for a hike to the Phantom Ranch.  Stairmaster.  24/7.

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

The difference is Verlander had one injury whereas Cabrera seems to breaking down all over.  

The other difference is that there has never been a point in JVs career where there has there been the least question about his dedication to his fitness - he can probably still wear his rookie uniforms.

Flip side is there were plenty of people who questioned if Justin was just a thrower and not a pitcher.  I dont think anyone questions Miguel's batting approach.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Flip side is there were plenty of people who questioned if Justin was just a thrower and not a pitcher.  I dont think anyone questions Miguel's batting approach.

No, and this year already shows the hitting skill is still just fine. But the best engine in the world isn't going to get you down the road if your suspension keeps collapsing.

No argument.

My point has more to do with perception today do not necessarily equate to reality tomorrow than any specific comparison between the two players.

Well, Miguel passed almost every other baseball player that ever lived in contract money.   It seems to me that he has 240 million signs of appreciation from the Detroit Tigers and their fans who help pay that salary.

It's all starting to make sense.  First we heard that Miguel Cabrera doesn't know most of his teammates names.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/03/22/miguel-cabrera-calls-most-of-his-teammates-bro-because-he-doesnt-know-their-names/111141668/

Then there was this weird interview where Cabrera didn't want to answer any questions.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/lynn-henning/2018/05/03/henning-detroit-tigers-miguel-cabrera/34518645/

Then Cabrera made the statement that he was done playing hurt and feeling unappreciated.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tigers-miguel-cabrera-feels-unappreciated-says-im-done-playing-hurt/

Now we find out that Cabrera probably never wanted to play in Detroit in the first place.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/david-samson-on-cbs-sports-hq-miguel-cabrera-wanted-us-to-bring-him-back-home-to-miami-but-we-couldnt/

Miguel Cabrera is a terrible teammate who had DUI problems and one time showed up drunk during a playoff race.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=4537093

If it wasn't for his MVP seasons and HOF numbers, Cabrera would have been run out of town a long time ago.  I don't know why anyone would continue to support Cabrera over what has transpired over the last few months.  Not to mention the fact that he has a secret family that nobody heard of until a few months ago.  Cabrera may be a terrific ballplayer, but he just shot down to one of my least favorite players.  

Well, his teammates didn't seem to mind simply being called "bro" but angry message board guy is angry!!!

11 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Well, his teammates didn't seem to mind simply being called "bro" but angry message board guy is angry!!!

AND I HAVE THE CAPS LOCK TO PROVE IT!

not sure where the i'm unappreciated because i'm playing hurt thing comes from

i think it is clear to all that Miggy played all the time even when maybe Leyland or Ausmus should have stopped him

obvious to see that he was often battling injuries

Torii Hunter commented how amazing it was that Miggy kept playing thru the hernia

I can see Miggy turning into Victor Martinez in a year or two.  If you don't take care of your body, you are going to be injured constantly.  I will be amazed if he even gets to 500 career hrs.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I can see Miggy turning into Victor Martinez in a year or two.  If you don't take care of your body, you are going to be injured constantly.  I will be amazed if he even gets to 500 career hrs.

When the season started he really did look  trimmer than he had been in a few years, which was a good sign, but where he is now is still a half measure to where a 35 yr old with a bad back needs to be, and I do wonder if he has the will to get there.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He is going to prove you wrong.

we can hope

“Multi-millionaire athlete complains he’s not appreciated enough” is a hard story to feel bad about. Cabrera sounds like a whiny brat, and his handlers should encourage him to do some damage control; otherwise the next 5 years are going to be unpleasant for him. 

50 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

“Multi-millionaire athlete complains he’s not appreciated enough” is a hard story to feel bad about. Cabrera sounds like a whiny brat, and his handlers should encourage him to do some damage control; otherwise the next 5 years are going to be unpleasant for him. 

He's done some backtracking already on the Marlins stuff.   Says he was kidding with Samson which is plausible.