ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

Seriously, for a team desperate for positive stories and marketing this season, it wouldn’t have killed them to sit jeimer 3 or 4 games more in September last year to keep him rookie eligible for this year. 

Impossible to win over Ohtani, of course (assuming he stays healthy). But he would at least be in the conversation and given credit for being a more traditional rookie. 

34 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Curoius .. .. How many times now has Miggy passed Beltre in Home Runs?

I'm guessing 2 or 3 times.  I could find out easily if I could get back into my old MLB posts.

33 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Great question. 

While it may not be in the spirit of the thread, I think for completeness it should be pointed out when Miguel is passed in various categories. 

It’s not like there will be much else to follow this season (other than the draft, the deadline, jeimer’s lost rookie of the year campaign, and Matt Boyd’s Cy Young candidacy).

I'll have some "agains" coming up later, just for you Shelton.

37 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Seriously, for a team desperate for positive stories and marketing this season, it wouldn’t have killed them to sit jeimer 3 or 4 games more in September last year to keep him rookie eligible for this year. 

Impossible to win over Ohtani, of course (assuming he stays healthy). But he would at least be in the conversation and given credit for being a more traditional rookie. 

Yeah that was one of the things I was keeping an eye on towards the end of last season, not only for his ROY chances but to see where he potentially would've ranked on various prospect lists.  

GAME 16

Offensive WAR - 78.3 (T39) - Passed <Carl Yastrzemski> at 78.2 (again).

Hits - 2,653 (77) - Passed Lave Cross at 2,651.

Doubles - 550 (30) - Passed <Chipper Jones> at 549.

Singles - 1,622 (146) - Passed <Kiki Cuyler> at 1,620.

Runs Created - 1,789 (41) - Passed <Jeff Bagwell> and <AL SIMMONS> AT 1,788 (again).

Adjusted Batting Runs - 637 (T20) - Passed <Jim Thome> at 636 (again).

Times on Base - 3,785 (T69) - Passed <Max Carey> at 3,782.

Hazen "Kiki" Cuyler was born in Sturgeon Point, MI in 1898.  His dad, a naturalized Canadian, was a semi-pro ballplayer.  By the age of 14, Kiki was a semipro player as well.  Soon after he was married he moved to Flint, began working in the Buick factory, and gained a reputation as a pitcher with an intimidating fastball.  He was signed to play for the Bay City Wolves at the age of 22, and was switched to the outfield after getting spiked sliding into second.  His bat improved the following year, resulting in major league clubs sending him offers in 1922 to play at the highest level.  Ty Cobb, who was in his first year as player manager for the Tigers, wanted to sign him.  Owner Frank Navin, fearful that Cuyler couldn't hit the curve, declined to give an offer to Cuyler.

Cobb knew what he was talking about.  Cuyler rose to stardom in 1924 for the Pittsburgh Pirates and his aggressive offensive style was drawing comparisons to Rogers Hornsby.  The sport recognized him as one of the first five tool players with a better glove and outfield arm than Cobb.  He acquired the nickname "The Flint Flash" for being one of the fastest base stealers in baseball.  Cuyler was a key member of several championship calibre teams in Pittsburgh and Chicago (Cubs) between 1924 and 1934. He certainly would have had more spectacular numbers by the end of his career, but was plagued by a number of injuries that reduced his playing time.  He had several small-ball coaching jobs and assistant coaching jobs at the major league level before a heart attack and blood clot in his leg got him at the age of 51.  He's buried in Harrisville, MI, where he went to high school and had his home.

• Like 4

GAME 17

Offensive WAR - 78.5 (39) - Passed <MR. KALINE> at 78.3.

Adjusted Batting Runs - 639 (20) - Passed Alex Rodriguez at 637.

Times on Base - 3,787 (69) - Passed <EDDIE MATHEWS> and Ichiro Suzuki at 3,785.

Walks - 1,074 (90) - Passed <Ozzie Smith> at 1,072.

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎19 at 7:27 PM, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 16

...Singles - 1,622 (146) - Passed <Kiki Cuyler> at 1,620...

Hazen "Kiki" Cuyler was born in Sturgeon Point, MI in 1898.  His dad, a naturalized Canadian, was a semi-pro ballplayer.  By the age of 14, Kiki was a semipro player as well...  

Another great post ktp.  You are filling a research need here.  The lists are cool but I especially like the historical notes that occasionally accompany them.

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Another great post ktp.  You are filling a research need here.  The lists are cool but I especially like the historical notes that occasionally accompany them.

The tracking of Miggy's stats wasn't only to document his career, but to recognize great players that might not be known by many these days.  If I see a connection to Michigan and/or the Tigers, I usually throw some historical info in if I have some time.  

On 4/19/2018 at 6:27 PM, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 16

Offensive WAR - 78.3 (T39) - Passed <Carl Yastrzemski> at 78.2 (again).

Hits - 2,653 (77) - Passed Lave Cross at 2,651.

Doubles - 550 (30) - Passed <Chipper Jones> at 549.

Singles - 1,622 (146) - Passed <Kiki Cuyler> at 1,620.

Runs Created - 1,789 (41) - Passed <Jeff Bagwell> and <AL SIMMONS> AT 1,788 (again).

Adjusted Batting Runs - 637 (T20) - Passed <Jim Thome> at 636 (again).

Times on Base - 3,785 (T69) - Passed <Max Carey> at 3,782.

Hazen "Kiki" Cuyler was born in Sturgeon Point, MI in 1898.  His dad, a naturalized Canadian, was a semi-pro ballplayer.  By the age of 14, Kiki was a semipro player as well.  Soon after he was married he moved to Flint, began working in the Buick factory, and gained a reputation as a pitcher with an intimidating fastball.  He was signed to play for the Bay City Wolves at the age of 22, and was switched to the outfield after getting spiked sliding into second.  His bat improved the following year, resulting in major league clubs sending him offers in 1922 to play at the highest level.  Ty Cobb, who was in his first year as player manager for the Tigers, wanted to sign him.  Owner Frank Navin, fearful that Cuyler couldn't hit the curve, declined to give an offer to Cuyler.

Cobb knew what he was talking about.  Cuyler rose to stardom in 1924 for the Pittsburgh Pirates and his aggressive offensive style was drawing comparisons to Rogers Hornsby.  The sport recognized him as one of the first five tool players with a better glove and outfield arm than Cobb.  He acquired the nickname "The Flint Flash" for being one of the fastest base stealers in baseball.  Cuyler was a key member of several championship calibre teams in Pittsburgh and Chicago (Cubs) between 1924 and 1934. He certainly would have had more spectacular numbers by the end of his career, but was plagued by a number of injuries that reduced his playing time.  He had several small-ball coaching jobs and assistant coaching jobs at the major league level before a heart attack and blood clot in his leg got him at the age of 51.  He's buried in Harrisville, MI, where he went to high school and had his home.

My family vacationed in Harrisville every summer of my childhood, and I've been back a few times myself and with my wife since. There is a bar called Ki Cuyler's there. The prime rib is surprisingly good for both the price and the fact that it's served at what is essentially a small town sports bar.

4 minutes ago, holygoat said:

My family vacationed in Harrisville every summer of my childhood, and I've been back a few times myself and with my wife since. There is a bar called Ki Cuyler's there. The prime rib is surprisingly good for both the price and the fact that it's served at what is essentially a small town sports bar.

Good to see that his name lives on in the town.  Wonder how many know who the place is named after.

GAME 19

At Bats - 8,389 (116) - Passed <Ryne Sandberg> ay 8,385.

Plate Appearances - 9,609 (114) - Passed <Willie Keeler> at 9,607.

Hits - 2,656 (76) - Passed <Ted Williams> at 2,654.

Runs Batted In - 1,626 (34) - Passed <Chipper Jones> at 1,623.

Walks - 1,076 (87) - Passed Mark Grace, Bob Johnson and Robin Ventura at 1,075.

1 hour ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 19

Walks - 1,076 (87) - Passed Mark Grace, Bob Johnson and Robin Ventura at 1,075.

I was curious about Bob Johnson, as it wasn't a name I recognized. He spent most of his career playing for the Athletics, from 1933 to 1945, and is one of those guys who belongs in the Hall of Very Good. Lifetime .296 /.393 /.506. 57 WAR as an outfielder in 1863 games.

He would have made some serious money these days, but topped out at $15,000 in '40, '41, and '45. Hank Greenberg was the top earner in '40 and '41, at $35,000 and $55,000, respectively. As for '45... Lou Boudreau at $25,000. That's the war for you.

Similar Players:

Brian Giles (921.7)
Matt Holliday (916.0)
Magglio Ordonez (908.0)
Moises Alou (907.3)
Ellis Burks (905.3)
Del Ennis (900.4)
Reggie Smith (896.1)
Will Clark (894.7)
Bernie Williams (892.9)
Chuck Klein (892.3) 

I find myself checking this thread for updates very frequently.  Thank you for maintaining it.  Great idea, too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Walewander said:

I was curious about Bob Johnson, as it wasn't a name I recognized. He spent most of his career playing for the Athletics, from 1933 to 1945, and is one of those guys who belongs in the Hall of Very Good. Lifetime .296 /.393 /.506. 57 WAR as an outfielder in 1863 games.

He would have made some serious money these days, but topped out at $15,000 in '40, '41, and '45. Hank Greenberg was the top earner in '40 and '41, at $35,000 and $55,000, respectively. As for '45... Lou Boudreau at $25,000. That's the war for you.

Similar Players:

Brian Giles (921.7)
Matt Holliday (916.0)
Magglio Ordonez (908.0)
Moises Alou (907.3)
Ellis Burks (905.3)
Del Ennis (900.4)
Reggie Smith (896.1)
Will Clark (894.7)
Bernie Williams (892.9)
Chuck Klein (892.3) 

Johnson may not have pursued pro-baseball if his older brother, Roy Johnson, had not been signed for a huge bonus ($75K) by the Tigers after being seen on the San Francisco Seals.  Bob always thought he was a better ballplayer than Roy, so he knew that he could compete at the highest level.

Johnson had seven consecutive 100+ RBI seasons and was an All-Star in seven seasons, which earned kudos from Ted Williams and Bucky Harris.  They recognized how few opportunities there were for Johnson to drive in runs and how little protection there was in the line-up on the post-Championship A's when they were often mired in last place.  Johnson was the headliner for them after Foxx left the team - a protected player at the time when Connie Mack was selling the farm and cutting salaries.  As a result, Johnson and Mack were not on the best of terms.  He finally got traded to the Senators and then the Red Sox.

Johnson probably had several decent seasons left in him, but the Red Sox had a group coming back from the war, and other teams had little interest in him.  He reputation as a hot head and drinker didn't help - and was likely undeserved.  His brother Roy, whose promising career was already over, likely earned it.  He ended up running a tavern and driving trucks for various companies delivering oil, booze and sand/gravel.  

• Like 1

GAME 20

Games Played - 2,246 (T130) - Passed Mark Grace at 2,245.

Singles - 1,626 (T143) - Passed <Barry Larkin> and <Ryne Sandberg> at 1,625.

Something I wanted to add on the discussion on Cuyler is he was known as Kiki because he stutterer, (Kiki was pronounced Cuy-Cuy), so that was how he sounded when he said his last name - Cuy-Cuy Cuyler.

His stuttering is a major part of the reason he was never seriously considered for a managers job at the MLB level.  It was felt he could not handle the PR portion of the job given his speech impediment.

An alternative offered by Cuyler was that when he and others were circling under a fly ball, the shortstop and second basemen would each yell out "Cuy," which encouraged the fans to start yelling out "Cuy-Cuy."  The press began spelling it out as Kiki in their stories.

GAME 21

Offensive WAR - 78.7 (39) - Passed <MR. KALINE> at 78.3.

Games Played - 2,247 (T128) - Passed <Fred Clarke> at 2,246.

At Bats - 8,398 (115) - Passed Paul Konerko at 8,393.

Plate Appearances - 9,619 (113) - Passed <Bobby Wallace> at 9,617.

Hits - 2,661 (75) - Passed <HARRY HEILMANN> at 2,660.

Runs Batted In - 1,629 (33) - Passed Harold Baines at 1,628.

Singles - 1,627 (143) - Passed <Kirby Puckett> at 1,626.

Extra Base Hits - 1,034 (31) - Passed Sammy Sosa at 1,033.

Side note .. Albert Pujols needs 6 hits to reach 3000 for his career. 

Hopefully some time during September 2019 .. we'll be saying the same for Miggy.

59 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Runs Batted In - 1,629 (33) - Passed Harold Baines at 1,628

Countdown to 2000 career RBI's for Miggy  = 371.

Only 4 players in history have 2000+ RBI's .. Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Alex Rodriguez, and Cap Anson.  (Cap Anson played 27 years, all before year 1898.)

.. .. .. Albert Pujols could join the 2000 RBI club this year.

3 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Countdown to 2000 career RBI's for Miggy  = 371.

Only 4 players in history have 2000+ RBI's .. Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Alex Rodriguez, and Cap Anson.  (Cap Anson played 27 years, all before year 1898.)

.. .. .. Albert Pujols could join the 2000 RBI club this year.

It all comes down to health.  I think he'll end up from top 5 to top 10 on all of these counting stats.  And I think he'll have another 70+ extra base hits this year.