Jump to content

ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

Recommended Posts

GAME 13

Singles - 1,620 (T146) - Passed <Vladimir Guerrero>, <Jim Rice>, and FIELDER JONES at 1,618.

Fielder Jones was one of the finest defensive outfielders at the turn of the 20th century.  His decent hitting for average during the fairly light-hitting dead-ball period was sufficient to make him a valued player to managers such as John McGraw, who was building his Giants team that was to be competitive for decades.  But he was stuck in Chicago with the Pale Hose, where he was dutifully waiting out his contract.  Once it was done, he sought a spot in New York with McGraw, or in Washington with the Senators, due to his offseason investments in western New York.  The Tigers made an offer for him as well.  But legal battles between the fledgling AL and the NL, and the use of the reserve clause in professional baseball resulted in him not being able to leave Comiskey in Chicago.  To keep Jones in Chicago and more highly motivated, Comiskey offered Jones the Player/Manager position in the spring of 1904.  Jones turned out to be a brainy, innovative leader that stressed defense, conditioning, small ball and pitching (including effective use of the spitball).  He led the White Sox to five consecutive winning seasons, finishes no worse than third (out of eight teams) and a World Series win in 1906 agains the Cubs with his Hitless Wonders.  

Jones left the White Sox after the 1908 season, tired of fighting the players for their roles in his system and Comiskey and baseball for the players rights and ending the reserve clause.  He ended up operating apple orchards in Oregon (with Joe Tinker), oil and timber firms in Oregon, a walnut growing company, and land and lumber firms in Pennsylvania.  But he also stayed in baseball.  He managed what was to become the Oregon State baseball team to a conference title in 1910.  He was also a scout of Pacific Coast League talent - identifying a young high school kid named Harry Heilmann who eventually found a home with the 1913 Portland Beavers in the PCL and the Tigers the following year.  He also coached several successful seasons in the Federal League and several miserable seasons for the St. Louis Browns to close out his MLB managerial career.  But he continued to scout for the Tigers in his retirement.

A heart condition that he knew about for many years finally got him in 1934.  By then he was regarded as one of the three greatest managers of his time, with McGraw and Mack.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 13

Singles - 1,620 (T146) - Passed <Vladimir Guerrero>, <Jim Rice>, and FIELDER JONES at 1,618.

 

Great post ktpinnacle.  Thanks for all of that about Fielder Jones.  I'm glad that he didn't go to the Giants in 1905, because if he had he probably would have taken playing time away from Moonlight Graham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 9:08 PM, Charles Liston said:

Great post ktpinnacle.  Thanks for all of that about Fielder Jones.  I'm glad that he didn't go to the Giants in 1905, because if he had he probably would have taken playing time away from Moonlight Graham.

Thx, C.  Dude was a better dr. as it turned out.  The kid they picked to play him in Field of Dreams was pretty good likeness.  Guess they went the distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 5:28 AM, LooseGoose said:

Miggy finally got this thread out of the doldrums.

You can imagine what last year was like after several years of plenty to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my Out Of The Park baseball, I am in the 2025 season and Miggy just became the All Time RBI leader passing Hank Aaron wtih 2,298.   He's now up to 2,304

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

In my Out Of The Park baseball, I am in the 2025 season and Miggy just became the All Time RBI leader passing Hank Aaron wtih 2,298.   He's now up to 2,304

Did you simulate this season in the past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ktpinnacle said:

Did you simulate this season in the past?

Yes , But keep in mind, I was through the 2019 season before the real Tigers actually traded Justin Verlander, so my universe went sideways.     Just to let you know that David Dahl, Ozzie Albeis and Andrew Knapp have been great for the 2022-2025 Tigers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yes , But keep in mind, I was through the 2019 season before the real Tigers actually traded Justin Verlander, so my universe went sideways.     Just to let you know that David Dahl, Ozzie Albeis and Andrew Knapp have been great for the 2022-2025 Tigers

 

Interesting that with the catchers we have on the farm these days that you have Knapp at catcher.

 

How did Miggy do this year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Interesting that with the catchers we have on the farm these days that you have Knapp at catcher.

 

How did Miggy do this year?

 

Knapp is actually a first baseman now.   I traded James McCann (he had some value) and Greiner never worked out (keep in mind, in my universe I never got Jake Rogers).    Knapp was pretty bad at throwing out runners which led to me acquiring Hamlet Marte and Taylor Ward to handle the catching duties.   I then lost Marte to Indianapolis in the expansion draft.     I moved Tampa Bay to Charlotte (Yes, The Charlotte Rays, a Facts Of Life reference).   I then expanded the by adding Montreal to the NL and New Jersey in 2020 to the AL and then later added Portland to the NL and Indianpolis to the AL in 2025.  The Oakland A's moved to San Jose, they almost moved to Las Vegas and then Monterrey, Mexico, but stayed in the bay area.   

Miggy's 2018 season  He hit .337 with an OBP of .414 and OPS of .924 with 24 home runs and 97 RBIs.   My Tigers went 83-79 that year.     Interesting about my 2018 Tigers which I played over a year ago  - is that I signed Francisco Liriano who went 7-8 with a 3.73 ERA and netted me a couple of prospects at the deadline.      Justin Verlander suffered a career ending injury in 2022.   He was never traded..........Always A Tiger.    

The 2025 Tigers

C - Taylor Ward
1b - Andrew Knapp
2b - Kike Hernandez  
SS - Ozzie Albeis   (Stolen Base king)
3b - Rio Ruiz
RF - Carson Jackson
CF - Dustin Fowler  (an OBP machine)
LF - David Dahl
DH - Miguel Cabrera

Bench is
Harold Castro  (INF/OF)
Jameson Fisher  (OF-1B)
Ryan Galley  (OF)
Jose Herrera (C)
Steve Cristobal (INF)

Starters are   Alex Faedo, Michael Fulmer, Andrew Schultz,  Sean Manaea and Tristin English
Bullpen is  Joe Jimenez, Johnny Barbato, Chad Hockin, Felix Viloria, Drew Steckenrider, Filipe Rivero and Zane Welch.  


Faedo won the Cy Young in 2021 and 2024.  Tigers won the 2021 World Series in Game 7 vs. Philadelphia when J.D. Martinez singled in Albeis in the bottom of the 9th.   It was his last hit as a Tiger.    
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Knapp is actually a first baseman now.   I traded James McCann (he had some value) and Greiner never worked out (keep in mind, in my universe I never got Jake Rogers).    Knapp was pretty bad at throwing out runners which led to me acquiring Hamlet Marte and Taylor Ward to handle the catching duties.   I then lost Marte to Indianapolis in the expansion draft.     I moved Tampa Bay to Charlotte (Yes, The Charlotte Rays, a Facts Of Life reference).   I then expanded the by adding Montreal to the NL and New Jersey in 2020 to the AL and then later added Portland to the NL and Indianpolis to the AL in 2025.  The Oakland A's moved to San Jose, they almost moved to Las Vegas and then Monterrey, Mexico, but stayed in the bay area.   

Miggy's 2018 season  He hit .337 with an OBP of .414 and OPS of .924 with 24 home runs and 97 RBIs.   My Tigers went 83-79 that year.     Interesting about my 2018 Tigers which I played over a year ago  - is that I signed Francisco Liriano who went 7-8 with a 3.73 ERA and netted me a couple of prospects at the deadline.      Justin Verlander suffered a career ending injury in 2022.   He was never traded..........Always A Tiger.    

The 2025 Tigers

C - Taylor Ward
1b - Andrew Knapp
2b - Kike Hernandez  
SS - Ozzie Albeis   (Stolen Base king)
3b - Rio Ruiz
RF - Carson Jackson
CF - Dustin Fowler  (an OBP machine)
LF - David Dahl
DH - Miguel Cabrera

Bench is
Harold Castro  (INF/OF)
Jameson Fisher  (OF-1B)
Ryan Galley  (OF)
Jose Herrera (C)
Steve Cristobal (INF)

Starters are   Alex Faedo, Michael Fulmer, Andrew Schultz,  Sean Manaea and Tristin English
Bullpen is  Joe Jimenez, Johnny Barbato, Chad Hockin, Felix Viloria, Drew Steckenrider, Filipe Rivero and Zane Welch.  


Faedo won the Cy Young in 2021 and 2024.  Tigers won the 2021 World Series in Game 7 vs. Philadelphia when J.D. Martinez singled in Albeis in the bottom of the 9th.   It was his last hit as a Tiger.    
 

 

 

Remind me to never play fantasy baseball against you.  You're 3+ years ahead of everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Remind me to never play fantasy baseball against you.  You're 3+ years ahead of everyone else.

It's been a long, boring winter.   This is what happens when the Red Wings aren't interesting enough to watch. 

I did a lot of game simulations for the rough  years (2019 & 2020).   
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I want to know why Gresuan Silverio isn't your catcher.

Hey man, it just didn't happen.     By the way,  James McCann went to the Phillies in a trade and hit .290 with 22 HR and made an All Star team.   I felt pretty bad about that trade, but the players I got from the Philles (Knapp & Carson Jackson) turned out to be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GAME 14

Games Played - 2,240 (133) - Passed DOC CRAMER at 2,239.

Walks - 1,072 (T90) - Passed Keith Hernandez and HARLOND CLIFT at 1,070.

Intentional Walks - 228 (8) - Passed <Willie Stargell> at 227.

Harlond Clift's MLB career marked a change in the third basemen's role in team offense.  Prior to his first season, third base was regarded as defensive position. Dead ball third basemen like Jimmy Collins, Lave Cross, Tommy Leach and later Home Run Baker were relatively light hitting players.  Even after the end of the Deadball Era, the long-ball was mainly supplied by first basemen and outfielders. Clift was the prototype of power-hitting third basemen that became prevalent after WWII.  Clift competed with better known Hall of Famers in 1937 and 1938 for the home run titles and hit most of his 178 home runs in his first eight seasons from 1934 to 1941.  He also hit for average, drove in runs and walked far more than he whiffed, resulting in a career .390 OBP.

Having grown up in the Yakima area, he coached in the PCL and scouted the league for the Tigers after his relatively short career ended in 1945.  His career record for home runs by a third baseman was eclipsed by EDDIE MATHEWS over ten years later.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GAME 14

And some changes on the Tiger lists:

Game Played - 1,520 (13) - Passed Willie Horton at 1,515 and Mickey Stanley at 1,516.

Walks - 750 (10) - Passed Hank Greenberg at 748.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I moved Tampa Bay to Charlotte (Yes, The Charlotte Rays, a Facts Of Life reference).  

This has nothing to do with anything, but this is turrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GAME 15 - Happy Birthday Miggy

 

Doubles - 549 (T30) - Passed Alex Rodriguez at 548.

Home Runs - 464 (35) - Passed Adrian Beltre at 463.

Extra Base Hits - 1030 (32) - Passed <Frank Thomas> at 1028.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 15 - Happy Birthday Miggy

 

Doubles - 549 (T30) - Passed Alex Rodriguez at 548.

Home Runs - 464 (35) - Passed Adrian Beltre at 463.

Extra Base Hits - 1030 (32) - Passed <Frank Thomas> at 1028.

 

Will you also update this if beltre moves back ahead of Cabrera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Will you also update this if beltre moves back ahead of Cabrera?

It's happened before on other lists, especially those that suffered after Miggy's mediocre production last season (OWAR, Position Players WAR, Adjusted Batting Runs/Wins).  If it happens, and I remember to, I'll throw in an "again." Miggy is creeping up on Ichiro on the Times on Base list and I suspect they may bounce back and forth a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Home Runs - 464 (35) - Passed Adrian Beltre at 463.

Curoius .. .. How many times now has Miggy passed Beltre in Home Runs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tigrrfan said:

Curoius .. .. How many times now has Miggy passed Beltre in Home Runs?

Great question. 

While it may not be in the spirit of the thread, I think for completeness it should be pointed out when Miguel is passed in various categories. 

It’s not like there will be much else to follow this season (other than the draft, the deadline, jeimer’s lost rookie of the year campaign, and Matt Boyd’s Cy Young candidacy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      95,752
    • Total Posts
      2,763,277
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×