ktpinnacle

Who Did Miguel Pass Today?

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

It seems at least plausible that Aaron was on PEDs late in his career.

Well yes there was certainly a bowl of greenies in the clubhouse.  Did he take them?  I don't know, and I don't know if he has ever discussed it.

Steroids?  Yes they were certainly available, the UCLA football team was using in the mid 1960's.  So who knows?

Regarding Aaron's late career power surge, Bill James did an analysis on it some 20 years ago and concluded that the increased league wide offense post 1968 paired with playing in the best HR park for RH hitters at the time (IIRC) in Atlanta was enough to explain his performance given his past numbers and a normal aging curve.

No clue if he used steroids or not (I'd bet he used greenies, they were prevalent), but thought I'd share that.

He did smoke cigarettes, perhaps we all should.  I remember him sitting in the dugout on the Saturday TV game with the camera focused on him, when his hand came up and he took a drag off a butt.  They switched camera shots pretty quickly.

21 hours ago, Oblong said:

and I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I maintain that Hank Aaron is the most underrated player in MLB history.

Well, he is known pretty much for his home runs.  But he also had a pretty good career batting average and his walks to strikeouts were about 1 to 1.  Pretty good at base stealing for about a decade.  His lowest OPS+ from age 21 to 40 was 128 at age 40; had 4 OPS+s in the 140s during that stretch.  And defensive numbers are sketchy, but it appears he was probably no worse than league average (won 3 gold gloves).

And when you roll in the pressure he encountered along the way, I think you can make a case for him being underrated.  But I wonder how much of this is a generational thing?  How many people got a chance to see him play?

26 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Well, he is known pretty much for his home runs.  But he also had a pretty good career batting average and his walks to strikeouts were about 1 to 1.  Pretty good at base stealing for about a decade.  His lowest OPS+ from age 21 to 40 was 128 at age 40; had 4 OPS+s in the 140s during that stretch.  And defensive numbers are sketchy, but it appears he was probably no worse than league average (won 3 gold gloves).

And when you roll in the pressure he encountered along the way, I think you can make a case for him being underrated.  But I wonder how much of this is a generational thing?  How many people got a chance to see him play?

I did.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

He did smoke cigarettes, perhaps we all should.  I remember him sitting in the dugout on the Saturday TV game with the camera focused on him, when his hand came up and he took a drag off a butt.  They switched camera shots pretty quickly.

stan-mikita.3.jpg

DO46swhWkAEhmRo.jpg

pg2_a_hernandez_400.jpg

Those are classic photos.  I don't know if there are any photos but Guy Lafleur used to have a smoke between periods.

4 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 5 - Well, damn.  

No one passed today.

Whatever.  Stop mailing it in.

GAME 8 

Sacrifice Flies - 79 (T97) - Passed Albert Belle, Bob Boone, TRAVIS FRYMAN, JUAN GONZALEZ, Mark McGwire, VADA PINSON, and Sammy Sosa at 78.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, holygoat said:

I'd have expected McGwire to be higher on that list.

There are some interesting players on that list.  Quite a few high on the list and aren't in the HOF.

GAME 9

Games Played - 2,235 (134) - Passed John Olerud at 2,234.

At Bats - 8,355 (118) - Passed Mike Schmidt at 8,352.

And among Tigers:

Sacrifice Flies - 53 (T5) - Passed Bobby Higginson at 52.

12 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

GAME 11

No one passed today, either.

Thread Fail.

GAME 12

At Bats - 8,366 (117) - Passed <Richie Ashburn> at 8,365.

Walks - 1,070 (T91) - Passed Bernie Williams at 1,069.