kdog

Zimmerman will start opening day

I think if the Tigers were actively shopping Fulmer they would (1) start him on Opening Day to increase the perception of his value, and (2) pitch him to showcase him, not sit him.

I doubt anyone would empty out their farm system to get Fulmer at this point. For as much potential as everyone knows he has, his actual performance took a step back from his rookie year, and he has health red flags. If I were a contending team knowing I’ll need pitching at some point during the year, I’d take a wait-and-see position on Fulmer. Even if this is the year he takes a big step forward, he’ll still be available in July.

As for the Zimmermann Opening Day start: meh. If the question came up on this board a couple weeks ago, at least half of us would have guessed Zimmermann anyway, because Gardenhire. Isn’t this why the Tigers hired him: teach the guys how a real old school manager manages a team? I would think this is exactly what this ownership and front office wanted to sign up for for the next three years. And the next three years just won’t matter, at least not in Detroit. So sure, start Zimmermann on Opening Day, because why not?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think if the Tigers were actively shopping Fulmer they would (1) start him on Opening Day to increase the perception of his value, and (2) pitch him to showcase him, not sit him.

I was thinking along this line as well. But HeyA's point comes into play if something was in the pipeline now and they thought the deal would be done before Opening Day. I don't think they would want to announce him as OD starter and then have him be gone - that probably wouldn't go over with ticket buyers too well.  OTOH, with Fiers blowing up it may be  to a point where they might feel they just have to hang on to Fulmer purely for lack of other reasonable arms.

I can't even picture anyone sending us a franchise-changing talent in exchange for Michael Fulmer today.

I think Fulmer will have more value at the trade deadline. I have no issue with Zimmermann starting opening day.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

I doubt anyone would empty out their farm system to get Fulmer at this point. For as much potential as everyone knows he has, his actual performance took a step back from his rookie year, and he has health red flags. If I were a contending team knowing I’ll need pitching at some point during the year, I’d take a wait-and-see position on Fulmer. Even if this is the year he takes a big step forward, he’ll still be available in July.

As for the Zimmermann Opening Day start: meh. If the question came up on this board a couple weeks ago, at least half of us would have guessed Zimmermann anyway, because Gardenhire. Isn’t this why the Tigers hired him: teach the guys how a real old school manager manages a team? I would think this is exactly what this ownership and front office wanted to sign up for for the next three years. And the next three years just won’t matter, at least not in Detroit. So sure, start Zimmermann on Opening Day, because why not?

Is this why the Tigers hired Gardenhire?  I figured it was more to have a veteran manager with experience in rebuilding to guide the team through that.

I'm getting my outrage out right now. I'm not going to have energy to be angar when they are losing every night.

I'm not sure why this is surprising that Zimmerman is the opening day starter.  Fulmer is coming off off season surgery. Plus......in case anyone has forgotten,  David Price, Max Scherzer, and Justin Verlander are no longer with the team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

I have to agree with this. Fulmer's value would be huge at the trade deadline if he's healthy. A team like the Cubs have most positions blocked by quality players and may bring us a very nice haul.

On a side note regarding Gardenhire, I love, just absolutely love, the fact he's ticked off about these guys not performing the fundamentals properly. Backing up bases, hitting the cut off man and the "hustle" plays doesn't take extra ability, it just takes players to buy into playing the game properly. Sure, I'll get mocked at for saying this but, IMO, fundamentals are a basic part of the game that gets overlooked because a player is either very talented or rushed through the system. Many times both.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

On a side note regarding Gardenhire, I love, just absolutely love, the fact he's ticked off about these guys not performing the fundamentals properly. Backing up bases, hitting the cut off man and the "hustle" plays doesn't take extra ability, it just takes players to buy into playing the game properly. Sure, I'll get mocked at for saying this but, IMO, fundamentals are a basic part of the game that gets overlooked because a player is either very talented or rushed through the system. Many times both.

I think there are some fundamentals that shouldn't be overlooked.  I think guys that have not established themselves (ie, almost all of the pitching options in camp) shouldn't just be in camp and going through the motions to bide time until Opening Day.  Now, there is a reasonable medium there, because on the opposite end of the spectrum, guys shouldn't be going all out like its the last out of the World Series.

Personally, I have no problem if Gardenhire chews his players out over fundamentals.

"This is a simple game. You hit the ball. You throw the ball. You catch the ball. Got it?"

I can easily imagine Gardy giving that speech.

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I was thinking along this line as well. But HeyA's point comes into play if something was in the pipeline now and they thought the deal would be done before Opening Day. I don't think they would want to announce him as OD starter and then have him be gone - that probably wouldn't go over with ticket buyers too well.  OTOH, with Fiers blowing up it may be  to a point where they might feel they just have to hang on to Fulmer purely for lack of other reasonable arms.

This is pretty close to my thoughts. I did say it was far fetched. OTOH, I do feel something is in the air, but probably a small move if for no other reason that there is no way Zimmerman lasts 60 days and when he goes down they are going to have at least one pitcher to at least give the illusion that the Tigers are a  major league team.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Is this why the Tigers hired Gardenhire?  I figured it was more to have a veteran manager with experience in rebuilding to guide the team through that.

Which Twins rebuild did Ron Gardenhire guide them through?

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Which Twins rebuild did Ron Gardenhire guide them through?

Damn, I was looking at his record with Minny in reverse order of seasons.  pwned.

No worries. It's true that Gardenhire was on the Tom Kelly staff that rebuilt that franchise through the 2001 season. He was the third base coach. Paul Molitor was the bench coach. Not sure why he wasn't tabbed for the managerial spot when Kelly bailed.

EDIT: Turns out Molitor removed himself from managerial consideration because there was active talk of contraction and people weren't certain the Tiwns would even field a team in 2002.

1 hour ago, roarintiger1 said:

I'm not sure why this is surprising that Zimmerman is the opening day starter.  Fulmer is coming off off season surgery. Plus......in case anyone has forgotten,  David Price, Max Scherzer, and Justin Verlander are no longer with the team.

Had to grind salt in to the wounds?  Exactly why the whole process they are going through now was so unnecessary. Can't this city be blessed with one ownership in this round that knows how to manage a pro sports franchise?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Apparently, Zimm is a team leader:

Zimmermann, at age 31 and beginning his 10th season, is the unquestioned leader of the rotation. There was no pitcher in the clubhouse who begrudged him this honor. Especially not Fulmer.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/03/19/detroit-tigers-jordan-zimmermann-opening-day/33077887/

McCosky's a hack

All the beat writers are hacks. They have to be. Their jobs literally depend on that.

i'm waiting for Lee to tell me how being the opening day starter doesnt matter.  :)

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i'm waiting for Lee to tell me how being the opening day starter doesnt matter.  :)

It doesn't matter.  

Unless it's a situation where Zimmermann is your opening day starer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

It doesn't matter.  Unless it's a situation where Zimmermann is your opening day starer.  

Of course, we all know he would perform better in that role.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

It doesn't matter.  

Unless it's a situation where Zimmermann is your opening day starer.  

Grumpfart.

On 19/03/2018 at 12:17 AM, RatkoVarda said:

Apparently, Zimm is a team leader:

Zimmermann, at age 31 and beginning his 10th season, is the unquestioned leader of the rotation. There was no pitcher in the clubhouse who begrudged him this honor. Especially not Fulmer.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/03/19/detroit-tigers-jordan-zimmermann-opening-day/33077887/

The other pitchers are too young to realize how good it feels to begrudge someone. That comes with age. I try to begrudge 3 people a day.

39 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

. I try to begrudge 3 people a day.

I can't begrudge you that.