kdog

Zimmerman will start opening day

I actually am not counting out Zimmermann making some sort of comeback.  He has had a good deal of success without ever having dominating stuff.  I am not making any bold predictions, just not counting him out.  His biggest problem is health.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I actually am not counting out Zimmermann making some sort of comeback.  He has had a good deal of success without ever having dominating stuff.  I am not making any bold predictions, just not counting him out.  His biggest problem is health.  

That's because you're one of those coastal liberal guys.

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

I really don’t understand getting bent out of shape about this. I guess if you bought tickets?

Considering all of the nonsense about Ron not being stuck in the 80's, I do. 

Isn't Saturday kids' opening day?  Should kids bear witness to a Zimmermann outing?

How is zim going to make the HOF if he doesn't get going on racking up opening day starts?

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

bad backs are a *****.

4 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

It's far, far more disturbing that Leonys Martin is our leadoff man.

That is one disturbing move.

nothing says "Baseball Excitement" like a 30yr old minor league journeyman leadoff man.

46 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

nothing says "Baseball Excitement" like a 30yr old minor league journeyman leadoff man.

For the Love of the Game 2.0

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

It's far, far more disturbing that Leonys Martin is our leadoff man.

That is one disturbing move.

I guess I don't get the hate here (and remember I advocating strongly against picking up Martin last year cause he sucks) given our current roster make up. 

It's not like there are significantly better options. Iggy? Mahtook? Machado? 

10 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I guess I don't get the hate here (and remember I advocating strongly against picking up Martin last year cause he sucks) given our current roster make up. 

It's not like there are significantly better options. Iggy? Mahtook? Machado? 

I'd have no problem with batting Mahtook leadoff given the other options.  Mathook, Cabrera, Candelario, Castellanos,.... and pray for rain, I guess.

It's likely not going to make much difference.  It isn't something that is going to keep them out of the playoffs.  But it does speak to the stubborn old school speed first mandate.

21 hours ago, kdog said:

Gardy just named Zimm the opening day starter because he is a leader and a veteran. 

He's gritty though....and this move may give us a lead that we never relinquish.

Zimmermann on Michael Fulmer: "He probably deserved it more than me. I was, I guess, a little shocked. He has his days coming. He's going to start plenty of Opening Days."

38 minutes ago, kdog said:

Zimmermann on Michael Fulmer: "He probably deserved it more than me.""

Not **** sherlock. 

Not you Kdog, but zimmerman

18 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think they want to limit Fulmer's innings early.  It's just funny that Gardenhire says he is starting because he's a veteran leader.  

Exactly. Gardenhire even said, in the article, that he saw Zimmerman pitch when he was at Washington and was impressive. Pretty stupid to even say.

When was it, 2016, when Zimmerman had the best April in MLB history? Maybe he just decided to get at least one good start out of him? Pretty stupid.

Or, more likely, the tanking begins. : (

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I'd have no problem with batting Mahtook leadoff given the other options.  Mathook, Cabrera, Candelario, Castellanos,.... and pray for rain, I guess.

It's likely not going to make much difference.  It isn't something that is going to keep them out of the playoffs.  But it does speak to the stubborn old school speed first mandate.

Are we sure mahtook is even good?

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He had a great deal of trouble hitting RHP prior to last year, so that could still be a problem.  I think his lifetime line of .255/.305/.457 might be what he is.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

No, we’re not sure.

But we are sure that Martin isn’t good.  Aren’t we?

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

He had a great deal of trouble hitting RHP prior to last year, so that could still be a problem.  I think his lifetime line of .255/.305/.457 might be what he is.

He did better vs RHPs last season, .280/.340/.443.  I know it sticks out above what his career line is, but I think he’s young enough that it might be an improvement rather than an aberration, given his age and relativey still early MLB career.  I think it’s at least worth a trial to start off the season, especially when considering the other likely options.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

He did better vs RHPs last season, .280/.340/.443.  I know it sticks out above what his career line is, but I think he’s young enough that it might be an improvement rather than an aberration, given his age and relativey still early MLB career.  I think it’s at least worth a trial to start off the season, especially when considering the other likely options.

It is definitely worth a trial. I just think there is a good chance his old problems come back.  

55 minutes ago, Casimir said:

No, we’re not sure.

But we are sure that Martin isn’t good.  Aren’t we?

Oh yes. We are.

I know this might be way off base, but what about the possibility that the Tigers are in the midst of trade talks involving Fulmer? That would be very far fetched, but not inpossible.

52 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I know this might be way off base, but what about the possibility that the Tigers are in the midst of trade talks involving Fulmer? That would be very far fetched, but not inpossible.

Nothing is out of the question at this point. I don’t think the FO could do anything to surprise me.

58 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I wouldn't say its far fetched.  At least from the perspective of the Tigers probably receiving requests about him.