kdog

Zimmerman will start opening day

Gardy just named Zimm the opening day starter because he is a leader and a veteran. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Gardenhire sucks.

Gardenhire sucks. 

WTF?

Off the charts asinine. 

I have no opinion of Gardy at this point. He may be great for the young Tigers coming up... getting the best out of the kids and the Vets both... We'll see.

But this is just stupid. There is no compelling, or any, reason, to proffer "Vet's privilege" to Zimm.  It's completely unwarranted. Asinine.

Just now, 84 Lives!!! said:

WTF?

Off the charts asinine. 

I have no opinion of Gardy at this point. He may be great for the young Tigers coming up... getting the best out of the kids and the Vets both... We'll see.

But this is just stupid. There is no compelling, or any, reason, to proffer "Vet's privilege" to Zimm.  It's completely unwarranted. Asinine.

I could be wrong, but any idea that Zimmermann cares more about the team than his own success went out the window for me in '16. In the absence of any compelling reason to change my mind, that make this a poor decision to me as well.

Zimmerman gets the call (I guess) 'cause:

• He had a strong recent outing
  • Fulmer may be under an innings limit and this could lead to one less start for hm
  • He's the veteran
  • He gets paid like an opening day starter.
  • Saupold will be rested and ready

Zim got invited to Ver's wedding so he must not be a total jerk.

52 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I could be wrong, but any idea that Zimmermann cares more about the team than his own success went out the window for me in '16. In the absence of any compelling reason to change my mind, that make this a poor decision to me as well.

Sorry, but I don't remember what happened in '16 that leads to this statement.  Can anyone fill me in?

I really don’t understand getting bent out of shape about this. I guess if you bought tickets?

51 minutes ago, gzbach said:

Sorry, but I don't remember what happened in '16 that leads to this statement.  Can anyone fill me in?

He went on the DL, went to rehab, did *really* horribly in rehab. Basically provided no evidence at all he was ready to get big league hitters out, but still came up and took the ball, whence he proceeded to lose all the games he started, mostly badly,  just driving one more spike into any chances the Tiger may still had had for the season. I know the CBA demands that is the process, but it was still bush league in my book.

I just plain don't like Zimmerman as a player on my team period. Call it a pet Peeve at this point.

46 minutes ago, gzbach said:

Yeah, I'm not clear on what this 2016 reference is either.

I'm also a little unclear on why this is even a story.  Fulmer is our best pitcher but is made of glass and needs some careful handling (don't know if that's behind this or not); Zimm is projected to be about the same as everybody else....poor.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

He went on the DL, went to rehab, did *really* horribly in rehab. Basically provided no evidence at all he was ready to get big league hitters out, but still came up and took the ball, whence he proceeded to lose all the games he started, mostly badly,  just driving one more spike into any chances the Tiger may still had had for the season. I know the CBA demands that is the process, but it was still bush league in my book.

OK, I remember him coming back, but honestly is that his fault?  I'm fine faulting Zimm if that's the case.

The bigger story is that beyond Fulmer they don't have any starter who should be guaranteed a spot in any rotation.  

I guess I don’t get too excited about this call. There may be reasons for this decision beyond what the general public knows. 

14 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I guess I don’t get too excited about this call. There may be reasons for this decision beyond what the general public knows. 

Maybe the idea that they could draw more people Saturday with Fulmer pitching since there is no difficulty drawing people on Opening Day.     Since this team won't be a contender, they are probably trying anything they can to draw more fans.   Sounds a little far fetched and it would bother me to have Chris Illitch through Al Avila setting rotations, but nothing would surprise me.  

I think they want to limit Fulmer's innings early.  It's just funny that Gardenhire says he is starting because he's a veteran leader.  

41 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think they want to limit Fulmer's innings early.  It's just funny that Gardenhire says he is starting because he's a veteran leader.  

We're lucky he isn't fast, or else he'd be in center and leading off.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe the idea that they could draw more people Saturday with Fulmer pitching since there is no difficulty drawing people on Opening Day.     Since this team won't be a contender, they are probably trying anything they can to draw more fans.   Sounds a little far fetched and it would bother me to have Chris Illitch through Al Avila setting rotations, but nothing would surprise me.  

I would not discount this angle.

Or maybe, just maybe,  Chris Bosio has found his next Jake Arieta reclamation project and the Zimm Zamm Man is hopping on the Cy Young express for the surprising 2018 AL Central Division Champion Detroit Tigers.    

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Or maybe, just maybe,  Chris Bosio has found his next Jake Arieta reclamation project and the Zimm Zamm Man is hopping on the Cy Young express for the surprising 2018 AL Central Division Champion Detroit Tigers.    

There you go, that's it exactly.  It's an inspirational move.  It's much like this one:

King:  Guys, I have to level with you...we're out of Bud Light.  AND THEY HAVE SOME!

6 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

There you go, that's it exactly.  It's an inspirational move.  It's much like this one:

King:  Guys, I have to level with you...we're out of Bud Light.  AND THEY HAVE SOME!

dilly dilly!