Keepleyland2

3/13 @1:05 p.m. Detroit Tigers at Evil Empire

Always liked Brookens. He just seemed like a Sparky kind of player. Great pic! 

Since it’s an away game does that mean they’re only taking the Erie Seawolves there? 

5 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Since it’s an away game does that mean they’re only taking the Erie Seawolves there? 

I found the rule a couple of years ago. It's something like five have to be projected starters/bench guys/top prospects. 

I think they should purposely lose all the remaining games.  That way when they win during the regular season it will seem like a miracle. “It's not as bad as I thought it would be.” Low expectations just barely exceeded make everything seem better. 

Oh disagree.  These games matter.  Just ask the Cleveland Browns, they went 4-0 in their preseason.  No, you can't just throw away these games, they count just as much as a win in September.

9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Tigers vs Yankees Spring Training Game 20.

Death Star in Tampa

abe663780146533.jpg

From the 1984 Yearbook

Those blue pages from the 1984 yearbook.  You posted another one the other day (Juan Berenguer?) and it kicked up memories of the game my dad took me and my brother to that season.  This one.

The tickets were birthday gifts for us (we were both born around April Fools Day --- explains a lot).  I remember opening the ticket sleeve and the first thing that we noticed on the tickets was White Sox was spelled Whitu Sox on all 3 of them.  Then we noticed row 3 and asked where they seats were.  So, my dad gave us a seating chart and we started looking around the outfield.  We were used to cheap seats, we lived close to the other side of the tracks.  Finally we figured out box seats were good seats, and these box seats were right behind the plate, just off to the 3B side.

And I don't remember why the fuss from my mom, but she was concerned about what we were wearing to the game.  We were going to be in the shade in mid April but she wanted us to have new pants and new polos (I don't think they were called polos then).  The boys didn't see the concern for this, but I remember she took us shopping and got us each navy blue pants and they had a slim strip down the outside of each leg.  I had a white stripe, my brother had orange.  And then I had a white polo and my brother had orange.  I suppose we were these things at some point after that, but none of those times were quite as memorable.

Anyway, as far as the game goes, yes, it was cold and damp in our section despite some sun popping through, so we had coats over our nice new shirts (if we were found on camera).  The umpire and right handed hitters kind of obstructed our view of the pitching, so kind of a bummer and something that we weren't used to.  But being that close and hearing the pop of the catcher's mitt was something else.  There was a heckler behind us that was giving it to Howard Johnson when he came to the plate.  "Oh no, its Hojo!"  We thought it was funny at first.  But it wasn't as funny when he spilled his beer all over my brother's program.

Ah, memories....

• Like 1

Jordan Zimmermann enjoyed a nice afternoon in Tampa against the Yankees' A team. 5 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 5 K. 60 pitches (44 strikes). Daniel Stumpf is in.

Yanks started a nice assortment of regulars today.  So seeing Zimmermann's performance is nice, albeit hard to believe.

Stumpf 2 Ks in 1 IP.

VerHagen strikes out the side in his IP.

Bosio for president.

• Like 1

How nice if Zimmmermmmannmmmmmannn has a really good season and the Tigers can trade him for more than a bag of balls at the deadline.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Antrat said:

How nice if Zimmmermmmannmmmmmannn has a really good season and the Tigers can trade him for more than a bag of balls at the deadline.

They might even be able to get the kind they use in baseball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yanks started a nice assortment of regulars today.  So seeing Zimmermann's performance is nice, albeit hard to believe.

Stumpf 2 Ks in 1 IP.

Bosio for president.

Ver struck out Judge, Stanton and Gary Sanchez.

Pretty, pretty good. I'm just stumpfed.

• Like 1

McCosky got right to the point:

The importance of a healthy, productive Zimmermann cannot be understated. On several levels.

He’s on the books for three more seasons at $74 million. If he can regain his form after two injury-plagued seasons, he could be a viable trade chip at the deadline – a way for the rebuilding Tigers to further restock their organizational shelves, even if they had to pay down a portion of his remaining salary.

McCosky merely said what every single fan has been saying for two years. 

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Stumpf 2 Ks in 1 IP.

Bosio for president.

JaCoby Jones 3 for 3 and a walk? That's just gratuitous.

31 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

McCosky got right to the point:

The importance of a healthy, productive Zimmermann cannot be understated. On several levels.

He’s on the books for three more seasons at $74 million. If he can regain his form after two injury-plagued seasons, he could be a viable trade chip at the deadline – a way for the rebuilding Tigers to further restock their organizational shelves, even if they had to pay down a portion of his remaining salary.

I wonder if a half of a hot season is even enough to lead other teams to make interesting offers on a guy with a dodgy back and two full years of failure on his resume. 

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

JaCoby Jones 3 for 3 and a walk? That's just gratuitous.

22 minutes ago, Yoda said:

McCosky merely said what every single fan has been saying for two years. 

McCosky is a hack.   

Has anybody seen these videos of this fat guy from Yahoo Sports opening up 25-year old baseball cards with retired baseball players like Smoltz, Frank Thomas and the like?  They're only a couple of minutes each, and it's an interesting "slice" of baseball hoo-ha.

I dunno, I like it.

20 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Has anybody seen these videos of this fat guy from Yahoo Sports opening up 25-year old baseball cards with retired baseball players like Smoltz, Frank Thomas and the like?  They're only a couple of minutes each, and it's an interesting "slice" of baseball hoo-ha.

I dunno, I like it.

Off season been too long for ya, eh?