cruzer1

Al Avila on analytics...

11 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I'm not going back to figure it out. But you guys went from analytics to discussing play by play guys from years ago

Yes, I remember we had members here who told us the play by play results in the GDT. Not as much need for that now though.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, I remember we had members here who told us the play by play results in the GDT. Not as much need for that now though.

Back-2-back jacks! I read threads often to see what happened to experience in real time the game I missed before even checking a box score. I like seeing real time expressions of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. 

14 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Back-2-back jacks! I read threads often to see what happened to experience in real time the game I missed before even checking a box score. I like seeing real time expressions of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. 

I do that sometimes, but it doesn't always work.  Often times I would see a thread filled with complaints about Ausmus or sloppy play and think the Tigers were losing and then I'd find out they were winning.  

The only sure thing is when I see Stan and Mdmazing here, I know they lost.  

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, Oblong said:

"holy mackerel..." (Said about something stupid the Lions or Wayne did)

"It remains a mystery....." (said about something stupid that Wayne did)

In the 1993 playoff game I was working, deliverying pizzas, and was in the car on The Play.  Champion starts the call and says something like "Look out..... Sharpe wide op-touchdown"  Then silence.

Yep, Champion was the forlorn voice of the beaten-down Lions fans....I loved the way he called the games.

I still recall the calls he made when Ron Hall used to burn the Lions for TDs....and his completely disgusted calls when a Lions QB was sacked at a critical juncture.  

I absolutely forgot that the Lions have not hosted a playoff game since 1993.  It's just unbelievable how futile this organization has been for sooooo long.  25 freaking years since a home playoff game.  Gah.

I need to get some sort of word filter in my browser to replace "Ausmus" with "Gardenhire" or I'll make too may mistakes this season

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

It would thrill me to learn that the Tigers have something like this.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/cubs-coaches-invaluable-to-hendricks-chatwood/c-268970752

It was interesting to see the pair at work during Jose Quintana's start against a Triple-A team last Monday. Borzello sat on the field near the dugout while Hottovy, who had a brief big league stint as a pitcher, was in the stands filming Quintana. Between innings, Borzello and Hottovy would confer.

I have to imagine this kind of thing would be illegal during a real game? Isn't there a rule about using electronics outside of what's being filmed by TV broadcasters?

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I have to imagine this kind of thing would be illegal during a real game? Isn't there a rule about using electronics outside of what's being filmed by TV broadcasters?

Maybe it's because they're not stealing signs?  The camera guy probably doesn't have to be in the stands to film pitchers during the regular season since there are already multiple cameras in every park trained on the pitcher.

That's what I think.  TIgers had Matt Martin to do that kind of stuff as well as act as the replay decider.  Not sure if it's a uniformed position or not, meaning he can't be in the dugout, but he's just down the hallway.

Proof that Gardy has bought into analytics.

Jones in

Gardenhire started JaCoby Jones in left field Saturday in place of Mikie Mahtook, and he didn’t mince words explaining why.

“All I know is, I saw 9 for 17,” Gardenhire said, referencing Jones’ history against White Sox starter Lucas Giolito. “It was in the minor league, but I don’t care where it came from. That’s good enough for me.”

Actually, Jones was 8 for 15 against Giolito at the Triple-A level, but his point stands. 

11 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Well, Jones got 0 hits today, so Gardy better re-evaluate.  

He did make that sweet catch.

17 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Proof that Gardy has bought into analytics.

Woof.  Why do we even need cockamamie reasons like this?  He said he had a plan to get Jones and Reyes sufficient at-bats to warrant carrying them on the roster.  You can't just say, "None of our players are everyday outfielders, and Jones needs a start"?  You have to roll out a useless justification.