Keepleyland2

3/10 @1:07 Detroit Tigers vs Toronto Blue Jays

We could pick up the Pirates some nights too.  

I spent many nights listening to WBZ. Jerry Williams, Larry Glick.
Johnny Most doing Celtics basketball.....

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

When did WJR become clear channel?  I could get it pretty strong most nights in Massachusetts in the 70s.    

That's so weird.  Niagara Falls should have been clearer than Massachusetts, wouldn't you say?  I'm thinking about the 60's but according to some other posts there wouldn't have been a difference in WJR's transmission strength between the 60's and the 70's. 

I did have one glorious summer though, I think that I was 11, when one of the Niagara Falls Ontario stations picked up the Tigers broadcasts, so I had Ernie and Paul loud and clear at the kitchen table every night that summer.  My dad showed me how to keep score, I got out a blank sheet of paper, a pencil, and a ruler before the game and made up a scoresheet.  I wish that I had kept those, it never occurred to me at the time - the '63 Tigers.  Kaline, Cash, and Colavito, and later in the year a 20-year-old kid named Willie Horton.  I forget what the call letters for the NF radio station were but it was in the 1600's on the tuner.

Bert mentioned CKLW and that was certainly a welcome addition to the top-40 menu.  Up until then we had WKBW in Buffalo ("KB") and CHUM in Toronto.  I think that I can still hear the CKLW jingle - "CKLW...the Motor City" which was kind of cheeky unless you think of Windsor as "the Motor City".  They were handcuffed, as was CHUM, by Canadian content rules so you had to listen to a lot of crap that shouldn't have been on the radio (that's protectionism for you) but they didn't waste their non-Canadian content.  I think that it was pretty solidly Motown, which suited me just fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMRivdog said:

That was quite a trio.  

I grew up in Toledo listening to Bob Wilson do Bruins games on WBZ. He was fantastic.  We could not get the Wings (WWJ) in Toledo, at least not at night, believe it or not.

13 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I grew up in Toledo listening to Bob Wilson do Bruins games on WBZ. He was fantastic.  We could not get the Wings (WWJ) in Toledo, at least not at night, believe it or not.

You couldn't get the Red Wings in Toledo?  That's unbelievable.

17 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I liked listening to him too and I don't even like hockey.  

1 hour ago, CMRivdog said:

Jerry Williams opened up worlds I’d never known existed. Listened to WBZ in Indiana every night for a couple years in the 60s. 

16 hours ago, tiger337 said:

That is now his new nickname Mike "Tire" Fiers.  

It’s about time I made a valuable contribution to this place.

8 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

You couldn't get the Red Wings in Toledo?  That's unbelievable.

We cannot get Tiger games in the SW outskirts of Toledo.  The current radio situation is an exclusive to NW Ohio FM deal about 30-40 minutes west which can track in a vehicle to about 10 minutes west of here and an pop can and string AM signal in Toledo which you can’t hear outside of a Bill Freehan throw from home plate to the CF bleachers.

$20 for At Bat is a worthy investment.

10 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

That's so weird.  Niagara Falls should have been clearer than Massachusetts, wouldn't you say?  I'm thinking about the 60's but according to some other posts there wouldn't have been a difference in WJR's transmission strength between the 60's and the 70's. 

I did have one glorious summer though, I think that I was 11, when one of the Niagara Falls Ontario stations picked up the Tigers broadcasts, so I had Ernie and Paul loud and clear at the kitchen table every night that summer.  My dad showed me how to keep score, I got out a blank sheet of paper, a pencil, and a ruler before the game and made up a scoresheet.  I wish that I had kept those, it never occurred to me at the time - the '63 Tigers.  Kaline, Cash, and Colavito, and later in the year a 20-year-old kid named Willie Horton.  I forget what the call letters for the NF radio station were but it was in the 1600's on the tuner.

Bert mentioned CKLW and that was certainly a welcome addition to the top-40 menu.  Up until then we had WKBW in Buffalo ("KB") and CHUM in Toronto.  I think that I can still hear the CKLW jingle - "CKLW...the Motor City" which was kind of cheeky unless you think of Windsor as "the Motor City".  They were handcuffed, as was CHUM, by Canadian content rules so you had to listen to a lot of crap that shouldn't have been on the radio (that's protectionism for you) but they didn't waste their non-Canadian content.  I think that it was pretty solidly Motown, which suited me just fine.

The first stuff I listened to was on the Armed Forces Network out of Germany, which meant essentially a random game each day with an ever rotating set of broadcasters.

It was fine until it got dark and then gradually the signal would fade out and some opera singer or other would fade in on top of it - always seemed to be the same opera singer so I blame the Russians. It made listening for late season Lions scores a bit of a lottery but at least there was never any doubt whether they'd make the playoffs or not.