Keepleyland2

3/10 @1:07 Detroit Tigers vs Toronto Blue Jays

Tigers vs Blue Jays Spring Training Game 17.

Dunedin Stadium in Dunedin

c9c700776547713.jpg

From the 1981 Yearbook

• Like 1

The Toronto sports radio guys are hopelessly, head-over-heels in love with Curtis Granderson.  And why not...every single player that they interview mentions how awesome it is to have him on the team, how much that they can learn from him because he's done it all (plus he has 5 HR's in spring training), and how forthcoming he is with advice (if it's asked for) and support.

Ordinarily, living within the Blue Jays media blitz area wears me down, especially after Tom Cheek died and wasn't the radio play-by-play guy anymore (he was fabulous).  But the whole Blue Jays PR machine would be so much easier to tolerate if Grandy could come up with one more monster year.  That is what I am hoping for, as much as I am hoping for a .500 season from the Tigers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

The Toronto sports radio guys are hopelessly, head-over-heels in love with Curtis Granderson.  And why not...every single player that they interview mentions how awesome it is to have him on the team, how much that they can learn from him because he's done it all (plus he has 5 HR's in spring training), and how forthcoming he is with advice (if it's asked for) and support.

Ordinarily, living within the Blue Jays media blitz area wears me down, especially after Tom Cheek died and wasn't the radio play-by-play guy anymore (he was fabulous).  But the whole Blue Jays PR machine would be so much easier to tolerate if Grandy could come up with one more monster year.  That is what I am hoping for, as much as I am hoping for a .500 season from the Tigers. 

So, I’ve been under the assumption that before the Blue Jays, the local favorite team around Toronto was the Tigers because of WJR’s reach.  Bunt I wonder if that’s more fiction than fact?

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

So, I’ve been under the assumption that before the Blue Jays, the local favorite team around Toronto was the Tigers because of WJR’s reach.  Bunt I wonder if that’s more fiction than fact?

I grew up near Niagara Falls, and I was the only Tigers fan (because I played for a team called the Tigers when I was 10).  There were some Cleveland fans, because that was the shortest bus trip to see a game.  Most people were Yankees fans though, because they were frequently on the Game of  the Week and because the best Italian, DiMaggio, had played for the Yankees at a time of substantial Italian immigration.  National League fans did not exist.  WJR was pretty hard to get without a lot of static and probably wouldn't have reached Toronto at all, so I think that the Tigers fans were concentrated in the Windsor-London-Sarnia triangle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

It seems like the only media guy who didn't love Curtis Granderson was Lynn Henning. 

It's hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since Granderson was a Tiger. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since Granderson was a Tiger. 

I still hope he gets a ring.

Sounds like Fiers is a tire fire right now.  Granderson led it off with a HR and now its 5-0.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I still hope he gets a ring.

Sounds like Fiers is a tire fire right now.  Granderson led it off with a HR and now its 5-0.

That is now his new nickname Mike "Tire" Fiers.  

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I grew up near Niagara Falls, and I was the only Tigers fan (because I played for a team called the Tigers when I was 10).  There were some Cleveland fans, because that was the shortest bus trip to see a game.  Most people were Yankees fans though, because they were frequently on the Game of  the Week and because the best Italian, DiMaggio, had played for the Yankees at a time of substantial Italian immigration.  National League fans did not exist.  WJR was pretty hard to get without a lot of static and probably wouldn't have reached Toronto at all, so I think that the Tigers fans were concentrated in the Windsor-London-Sarnia triangle.

When did WJR become clear channel?  I could get it pretty strong most nights in Massachusetts in the 70s.    

When did WJR become clear channel?  I could get it pretty strong most nights in Massachusetts in the 70s.    

About 1925 or so. WJR like WBZ, KDKA, WRVA and a few others have been licensed as Class A clear channel (not to be confused with the company formerly known by that name) since they signed on

Indeed, WJR has been licensed for 50KW since before any of us were born, but they have usually set up their antenna system to orient more N/S than E/W since they wanted to cover as much of MI as possible - so  while I can remember pulling them in from Mt Pleasant and beyond going north and Cinci on trips south, I'm not surprised to hear Toronto was not so good. I also remember that we would usually get WKZO for Tigers' broadcasts coming back from the west before we picked up WJR.

WJR came in loud and clear in NE Indiana in the ‘60s. CKLW from Windsor came in louder and clearer than local stations. 

By the way, even though it’s only spring training this losing thing is getting old. 

7 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

WJR came in loud and clear in NE Indiana in the ‘60s. CKLW from Windsor came in louder and clearer than local stations. 

I thought CKLW had a real monster transmitter - I don't remember the number but IIRC it was bigger than a US clear channel.

Kendrys Morales must have felt pretty silly today striking out in the 1st today in the middle of Fiers giving up 2 HRs and 3 walks.

3 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WJR-AM

This should be the primary daytime coverage map. Nighttime signals tend to travel farther due to less interference, depending on the number of daytime signals and stations that reduce power at night.

yeah, I could only listen to night games after sunset in Massachusetts.  

The signal from Philadephia came in really strong.  I used to hear a lot of Cardinals/Phillies games with my father. Kalas became my second favorite announcer.  The furthest stations we could pick up occasionally were Atlanta and St. Louis.  

The signal from Philadephia came in really strong.  I used to hear a lot of Cardinals/Phillies games with my father. Kalas became my second favorite announcer.  The furthest stations we could pick up occasionally were Atlanta and St. Louis.  

They were all on 50 thousand watt blowtorches at the time. The Phillies on KYW, St Louis was on KMOX forever and the A Braves on WSB. I grew up listening to the Pirates on KDKA in Virginia. Learned baseball from Bob Prince, or at least his version of it.

38 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

They were all on 50 thousand watt blowtorches at the time. The Phillies on KYW, St Louis was on KMOX forever and the A Braves on WSB. I grew up listening to the Pirates on KDKA in Virginia. Learned baseball from Bob Prince, or at least his version of it.

Yeah - I can remember listening to a few Cards games on KMOX on clear nights.

5 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

About 1925 or so. WJR like WBZ, KDKA, WRVA and a few others have been licensed as Class A clear channel (not to be confused with the company formerly known by that name) since they signed on

Did those original Class A licenses even have a license power limit or were they just limited practically by the available equipment? I have a vague recollection that the 50KW power limit came later with some kind of international treaty - but it's a vague recollection at this this point - might be confusing the history with something else.......

Did those original Class A licenses even have a license power limit or were they just limited practically by the available equipment? I have a vague recollection that the 50KW power limit came later with some kind of international treaty - but it's a vague recollection at this this point - might be confusing the history with something else.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Regional_Broadcasting_Agreement

This was in 1941.

I think things changed again in the 80s to accommodate some of the lower power stations or daytimes who sought to stay on the air after local sundown.

27 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Regional_Broadcasting_Agreement

This was in 1941.

I think things changed again in the 80s to accommodate some of the lower power stations or daytimes who sought to stay on the air after local sundown.

according to this story about WLW's experiments with 500KW, , 50KW has been pretty standard for Class A since the 30s so whatever I thought I remembered I probably didn't.....

1 hour ago, CMRivdog said:

We could pick up the Pirates some nights too.