MotownWebGuy

2018 National Sports Collectors Convention

Question for those of you who collect.  I have seen people say they have sent things to people to sign.  Does that really work?  Like if I wanted a player to sign a baseball could I send one, with a return box prepaid with shipping and a letter and ask them to sign my ball and expect to get it back?

5 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Question for those of you who collect.  I have seen people say they have sent things to people to sign.  Does that really work?  Like if I wanted a player to sign a baseball could I send one, with a return box prepaid with shipping and a letter and ask them to sign my ball and expect to get it back?

Like many things in life, the answer is....It depends. Many of the old timers have set price lists - you can send your item to them, but they'll only sign it for a fee. A lot of guys have their own websites, so you can find information that way. It kind of depends on who you want. 

Here is a website that has a "through the mail database".https://www.sportscardforum.com/scfttmm/ttmm/welcome.

If you set up a username and password, you can see the addresses, whether they charge, etc. You can also see the success/failure rate based on what people have sent. For instance, if you search for "Rollie Fingers", you'll find that he has a signing fee. You need to check his website and watch the comments from those that have sent to him- prices go up, and he may have an updated price list. But this site is helpful to see if someone is a reliable signer (like Rollie) or isn't. If you see alot of RTS (return to sender) and no successes, you can pretty much forget getting that particular player through the mail. Fortunately there are still alot of guys who are good about it. Many don't charge, but many do. However, for a baseball card, it's more likely that there either won't be a charge, or it will be a much lower price than say, a photo, a ball, a jersey, etc.

By the way, that TTM database has been around for a long time, so there is some pretty good data on the signing habits of players through the mail. 

Hope this helps. 

13 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Like many things in life, the answer is....It depends. Many of the old timers have set price lists - you can send your item to them, but they'll only sign it for a fee. A lot of guys have their own websites, so you can find information that way. It kind of depends on who you want. 

Here is a website that has a "through the mail database".https://www.sportscardforum.com/scfttmm/ttmm/welcome.

If you set up a username and password, you can see the addresses, whether they charge, etc. You can also see the success/failure rate based on what people have sent. For instance, if you search for "Rollie Fingers", you'll find that he has a signing fee. You need to check his website and watch the comments from those that have sent to him- prices go up, and he may have an updated price list. But this site is helpful to see if someone is a reliable signer (like Rollie) or isn't. If you see alot of RTS (return to sender) and no successes, you can pretty much forget getting that particular player through the mail. Fortunately there are still alot of guys who are good about it. Many don't charge, but many do. However, for a baseball card, it's more likely that there either won't be a charge, or it will be a much lower price than say, a photo, a ball, a jersey, etc.

By the way, that TTM database has been around for a long time, so there is some pretty good data on the signing habits of players through the mail. 

Hope this helps. 

Helps a ton Stan, thanks.  Never was huge into autographs, but I think it would be cool to have a ball from each of my favorite players signed up on a wall in a future man cave or something.  More of a discussion starter than anything.

12 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Helps a ton Stan, thanks.  Never was huge into autographs, but I think it would be cool to have a ball from each of my favorite players signed up on a wall in a future man cave or something.  More of a discussion starter than anything.

That's how it starts, buddy. Next thing you know you've got 50 frames and you're running out of wall space....^_^

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 12:51 PM, davidsb said:

I hope to be there for a day, probably Friday.

I expect to be there on Friday (as well as Saturday and Sunday), so let me know if you indeed make it to Cleveland.