Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

February 24-March 6, 2018 Combined Game Thread

5 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Zetterberg straight up called out Mantha (not by name but it was obvious) after the game.  Can't blame him for being frustrated.  Glad I didn't watch this, it sounds like the Wings didn't even show up.  SAD

Only home game in an 11-game stretch and the fans were treated to that 4-0 stinker. Season-ticket holders must be thrilled.

I'm going to the Canucks-Wild game tonight. Canucks fans are 10x more upset than Wings fans are, but the tix are free and in a corporate box so for one night I get to be one of those fans everyone hates, lol.  Maybe I'll wear a jacket and tie and hold my phone to my ear for awhile, just to troll the commoners in the cheap seats.

• Like 1

Mantha and the other youngsters might need a fresh voice.  Blashill's been on Mantha's case all season and has played for him for most of his professional career.  I wouldn't be surprised if he along with many others have just tuned Blashill out.

46 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Mantha and the other youngsters might need a fresh voice.  Blashill's been on Mantha's case all season and has played for him for most of his professional career.  I wouldn't be surprised if he along with many others have just tuned Blashill out.

Something just seems off between Mantha and the Wings this year. Score a couple more goals and he'll be a 23-year old 25-goal scorer. That has some value. Trade him in the offseason for a 23-year old top 4 d-man or 23-year old potential top 4 d-man.

Mantha has had moments and a handful of games that make you think he can be a very special offensive player.  But he goes through long stretches of not moving his feet in any zone, and he loses his assignment/doesn't back check on defense way too often.  He definitely needs a new voice in regards to the coach, but I'm not sure he'll ever grow out of these habits unless something switches in him mentally because it seems to be his default.  He's still a fine player with talent (a guy with his release at his size will find a home somewhere in the league) but it's a shame he isn't trying to dominate the game more.  I recall a goal in the last week or so where he used his body perfectly along with his speed to muscle out a defender and go in on a breakaway.  The problem is that I can't recall many other goals where he does that...  Blash to me isn't the guy who I trust to maximize prospects from what he's shown so far, but I do think Mantha needs to figure it out.