Saw it last night. Joker taps into a deep aquifer of resentment, fear, and cruelty that is universal. It’s hard to “like” this film in an ordinary sense. It’s as profoundly unsettling as this moment in history. If you don’t want to remember what you’ve been straining to forget you should probably just go back to sleep and get out of the way of those who are trying to wake up.

On 10/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, IdahoBert said:

Saw it last night. Joker taps into a deep aquifer of resentment, fear, and cruelty that is universal. It’s hard to “like” this film in an ordinary sense. It’s as profoundly unsettling as this moment in history. If you don’t want to remember what you’ve been straining to forget you should probably just go back to sleep and get out of the way of those who are trying to wake up.

This was so hard to watch. Done very well, but a very dark movie. Almost too dark, and I like dark. They set out to make a film that made you feel a certain way and they 100% accomplished that. And Phoenix was fantastic. 

But damn. Just a brutal movie. Worth watching for sure. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yoda said:

This was so hard to watch. Done very well, but a very dark movie. Almost too dark, and I like dark. They set out to make a film that made you feel a certain way and they 100% accomplished that. And Phoenix was fantastic. 

But damn. Just a brutal movie. Worth watching for sure. 

Totally. I can’t say I enjoyed it but I’m glad I saw it. My son saw it for second time last night and he said you notice a lot more the second time through that you missed the first time. I don’t know if I’m up for seeing it a second time in all honesty. I feel the same way about Platoon.

22 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Totally. I can’t say I enjoyed it but I’m glad I saw it. My son saw it for second time last night and he said you notice a lot more the second time through that you missed the first time. I don’t know if I’m up for seeing it a second time in all honesty. I feel the same way about Platoon.

I'll watch this a second time but my wife said once is enough.

• Like 1

Maybe put this here.... this has been going on for a few weeks now, first Scorsese and now Coppola.  Certainly there's a "Get off my lawn" element to this and is similar to the "rap is not music" argument a lot of people make, setting aside any racial overtones to that as well.

I don't agree with him that it's not art or cinema because those are subjective things.  I don't get into the Marvel or other super hero movies myself but that's a taste thing.  I get confused, especially with Batman and Spiderman.  Comparing it to Star Wars movies... which I see as a universe that's always having it's holes filled in for us in a big narrative.  The super hero movies seem random and non linear.  But like I said, that's a taste thing.  

But this is not a good look for Marty and Francis.  Especially when you consider that GF and GFII are two of the most rewatchable movies of all time.

https://www.france24.com/en/20191019-coppola-backs-scorsese-in-row-over-marvel-films?fbclid=IwAR1GREgF3-pSOVByNiyma7ryUy4rJDTY4dh1jgYgeztWyCpGWplmzCMtdp4

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Maybe put this here.... this has been going on for a few weeks now, first Scorsese and now Coppola.  Certainly there's a "Get off my lawn" element to this and is similar to the "rap is not music" argument a lot of people make, setting aside any racial overtones to that as well.

I don't agree with him that it's not art or cinema because those are subjective things.  I don't get into the Marvel or other super hero movies myself but that's a taste thing.  I get confused, especially with Batman and Spiderman.  Comparing it to Star Wars movies... which I see as a universe that's always having it's holes filled in for us in a big narrative.  The super hero movies seem random and non linear.  But like I said, that's a taste thing.  

But this is not a good look for Marty and Francis.  Especially when you consider that GF and GFII are two of the most rewatchable movies of all time.

https://www.france24.com/en/20191019-coppola-backs-scorsese-in-row-over-marvel-films?fbclid=IwAR1GREgF3-pSOVByNiyma7ryUy4rJDTY4dh1jgYgeztWyCpGWplmzCMtdp4

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

I don’t necessarily disagree with the overall point these guys are trying to make. I think Coppola took it a bit too far by calling the movies “despicable,” though. 

I think it’s definitely true that some films are more enlightening or inspiring, as Coppola put it. But obviously not all films have to be that. I think it’s a shame that the marvel films got singled out here, but whatever, they can point to the scoreboard in response. 

Basically, I agree that many of the marvel films can fit into the “popcorn movie” bucket and are in a different class/tier relative to the types of films that typically end up being rewarded at Oscar time. But I disagree that this is a “problem” or whatever.

Minor point of clarification: I don’t think Coppola was criticizing rewatchability. I think he was saying that one marvel movie is basically the same as all the rest. 

So I finally watched Midsommar this past weekend and really enjoyed it. I don't think it quite lived up to all of the hype I had been hearing leading into the film, but the movie, specifically the ending, really pulled me in and kept me interested.

A24 Studios has out out this, Hereditary, It Comes At Night, and the Witch and I have thus far enjoyed every horror flick they have produced and distributed.

Image result for Midsommar

• Like 1

8F442726-4108-4EE4-B06C-ED3D93D5E718.thumb.jpeg.c3ecb0fb31bcb903fa25568a059668e5.jpeg

Highly recommended. Saw it on Screen-X tonight and it was spectacular. A “man’s man” movie that doesn’t make you cringe because it’s not in the least bit shallow. A terrific story and great cinematography with unbelievably thrilling race scenes that had me shouting, slapping my hands on my cheeks going “oh my God,” and which was so loud it made the soles of my shoes vibrate. Both Matt Damon and Christian Bale are superb and Caitríona Balfe as British racer Ken Miles’ wife is worth every moment the camera focuses upon her. 

23 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Highly recommended. Saw it on Screen-X tonight and it was spectacular. A “man’s man” movie that doesn’t make you cringe because it’s not in the least bit shallow. A terrific story and great cinematography with unbelievably thrilling race scenes that had me shouting, slapping my hands on my cheeks going “oh my God,” and which was so loud it made the soles of my shoes vibrate. Both Matt Damon and Christian Bale are superb and Caitríona Balfe as British racer Ken Miles’ wife is worth every moment the camera focuses upon her. 

Meh. 

It was ok. The racing scenes were done really well, minus the exaggerated "hollywood" bits that they add to create drama because they think people don't know how cars work. But that's the same reason I hate all baseball movies. They can never just give an honest depiction. 

Bale was very good. Damon did an ok job with a boring character. 

My biggest complaint was the last 10 minutes. Entirely unnecessary. Until that point, they did a good job of sticking to the point of strictly making a movie about building a car. No unnecessary family drama or any of the standard Hollywood cliches. The movie should have ended when the race ended, with a blurb about Miles in text. Instead, it lingered for another 10 minutes to give is family drama that had nothing to do with building a car and to give Matt Damon a crying moment. It cheapened the movie. 

Just my two cents. 

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

Meh. 

It was ok. The racing scenes were done really well, minus the exaggerated "hollywood" bits that they add to create drama because they think people don't know how cars work. But that's the same reason I hate all baseball movies. They can never just give an honest depiction. 

Bale was very good. Damon did an ok job with a boring character. 

My biggest complaint was the last 10 minutes. Entirely unnecessary. Until that point, they did a good job of sticking to the point of strictly making a movie about building a car. No unnecessary family drama or any of the standard Hollywood cliches. The movie should have ended when the race ended, with a blurb about Miles in text. Instead, it lingered for another 10 minutes to give is family drama that had nothing to do with building a car and to give Matt Damon a crying moment. It cheapened the movie. 

Just my two cents. 

If you’re interested in a more of a documentary approach the mini documentaries on grand tour on Amazon about the history of racing are superb. But you won’t get to see a vivid depiction of Ken Miles hot English Carnaby Street era wife, which is a downside.

The 24 Hour War is on Netflix and I highly recommend it for anyone with even a passing interest in the Ford vs Ferrari subject matter.  

On 9/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, Yoda said:

I'm with you. Fantastic movie and I was mad that it was over. Didn't feel that long to me. 

It sounds like he may take all of his cut footage and turn it all into a 4 hour mini-series. I'd for sure be into this. 

Circling back to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... it's out on streaming now, and I've watched it 3 or 4 times, and have had it on at the shop another 3 or 4 times. I have to say this just gets better each time I watch it. I say this as a huge fan of Tarantino, it might be my favorite of his. Not his best, but possibly my favorite. I love that era of Hollywood and his portrayal of it was amazing. Rick and Cliff were terrific characters. It's just a very fun movie to watch. 

I went and saw Dark Waters on Friday and really enjoyed it. Mark Ruffalo did a great job in the movie portraying Attorney Robert Bilott and the slow build up into his fight against DuPont.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That is very intriguing.

Yeah, looks like they did this one right, rather than cheaply trying to appeal to one demo with the all-female cast of the last one. Kids are in right now so go with it. 

A very Goonies soundtrack. I think they actually ripped it off in one part. 

Yeah, the 0:23 mark in this, then listen to the 1:15 mark in the ghostbusters trailer.  This was a recurring theme that showed up throughout the movie. Kind of a cheap gimmick to use that but whatever. 

I do not mind when people use popular movies and offshoot them, what I do not like is reboots.  The movie industry is FINALLY realizing that it is the story not the exact movie.  Continue the story, give back history to an old movie, fast forward an old movie (Like they did with this), have a good director, do it right and it makes sense.

Guessing the success of TV series that have endings finally clicked...

I thought Ford v Ferrari was pretty good to very good.

But part of that is I am a brake engineer and went to an event where Carroll discussed the integral corner design in detail and that came up in the movie, so that was a +1 for me.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I thought Ford v Ferrari was pretty good to very good.

But part of that is I am a brake engineer and went to an event where Carroll discussed the integral corner design in detail and that came up in the movie, so that was a +1 for me.

Didn't see it.  But I did watch The 24 Hour War.  

Did F v. F talk about the system they designed to change the brakes in under a minute?

19 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The first one was partially filmed on the base I was stationed on at the time. In fact, right outside the building where I was assigned was the staging area for Cruise and whats-her-faces makeup so I saw that getting done. As cheesy as that movie is/was, I still enjoy seeing all the familar sights.

I am looking forward to this movie and am curious to see how much actual stunt work that Cruise did.

This was confirmed a few months back but Michael Gandolfini will be playing a younger Anthony Soprano in the Many Saints of Newark Movie. Ray Liotta will also be in the movie and believed to be playing old man Ercole DiMeo, who we never actually saw, only referenced by Jackie Aprile, in the original TV show. I cannot wait for this movie. I have rarely been so excited for a movie to come out. 

Here is the rest of the cast . . .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8110232/

I finally rented Once Upon a Time In Hollywood and loved it.   No violence until the end.   I think Brad Pitt is going to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor (even though he was a co-lead).          The one thing I can't get over is how much Damien Lewis looks like Steve McQueen.