3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I finally rented Once Upon a Time In Hollywood and loved it.   No violence until the end.   I think Brad Pitt is going to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor (even though he was a co-lead).          The one thing I can't get over is how much Damien Lewis looks like Steve McQueen.   

Yes. Brad's never won an oscar and I'm pulling for him. Highly underrated aspect of this film. 

On 12/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, Yoda said:

Yes. Brad's never won an oscar and I'm pulling for him. Highly underrated aspect of this film. 

And he won. 

Knives Out is now available on iTunes, etc. 

Just watched it and loved every minute of it. Such a fun movie. 

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

Knives Out is now available on iTunes, etc. 

Just watched it and loved every minute of it. Such a fun movie. 

LOL - Daniel Craig's effort at the accent is hopeless, but that pretty much becomes part of the silliness.

A24 Studios is the best movie studio bar none. They've got a couple of good films upcoming that I am excited about The Green Knight (no, not from Monty Python) and Saint Maud that I am really excited about.

Watched Uncut Gems yesterday. Sandler was great in that role. For the first time in a long time, he wasn't just playing a version of himself. (Well, I suppose he could be a degenerate gambler...) The movie was frenetic. People constantly talking/yelling over each other, and zooming from one self-inflicted crisis to another. It was really well done. No one in the movie is all that likable,  but that's not really a deal-breaker for me. 

I just saw the latest Matthew McConaughey movie The Beach Bum last night. What a great movie! I was laughing my *** off watching it. The movie stars McConaughey plus Snoop Dogg, Jonah, Hill and Martin Lawrence. I know it's the type of movie that most will find to be incredibly dumb and nonsensical. But really, that's half of what made it great to me. If you enjoy the green grass at home and are looking for something to watch while up high on life on a Friday or Saturday night, I recommend The Beach Bum.

It has Jimmy Buffett in it too, right? I remember being intrigued by it, but then it fell off my radar. May have to check it out.

If you smoke than I highly recommend doing so before watching. It makes the movie that much more enjoyable.

I revisited Raiders of the Lost Ark. That movie did not age well at all. What a crapshow. The fight scenes were only missing the "pow" and "kaplam" exploding captioning.

Karen Allen was just as cute as a button though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I revisited Raiders of the Lost Ark. That movie did not age well at all. What a crapshow. The fight scenes were only missing the "pow" and "kaplam" exploding captioning.

I literally gasped at this. 

I think RotLA aged better than Temple of Doom, which I loved as a kid. 

Well, I watched Spaceballs last night with my 14 yr old, and it was just as good as it's ever been! 

"What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken???"

"I knew it... I'm surrounded by a$$holes."

"What the **** am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?"

I know, I know, it's not a great movie, especially by Mel Brooks standards. I have a real soft spot for it though. My son has the same sense of humor I do, so he really enjoyed it too even though some of the references we lost on him (Alien, Planet of the Apes).

38 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I know, I know, it's not a great movie, especially by Mel Brooks standards.

In the history books of wrong, this comment is a featured subject.

7 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

In the history books of wrong, this comment is a featured subject.

Hey now, remember that I love it! I was just trying to acknowledge that Brooks has better movies, and that I am a little biased because it came out at just the right time for me.

15 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Hey now, remember that I love it! I was just trying to acknowledge that Brooks has better movies, and that I am a little biased because it came out at just the right time for me.

You love it because it is loveable and any other argument is false. Now drop and give me 25 pushups.

12 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Rewatch it. It is so corny. 

Well, it is a play on / homage to 30's serial action movies.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Well, it is a play on 30's serial action movies.

and somewhere  - probably between 1935 and 1965, maybe more than once,  somebody made a B movie where they used the whole "wait-for-the-sun-at-the-solstice/equinox-to-shine-in-the-right-spot to solve the puzzle, because it was there in my memory banks to register when I saw RotLA. High point of the story.

But why not?  Stonehenge, the Dwarves at the back door of the Lonely Mountain, probably half the ancient ruins in Mezzo-America. It's a great meme.

The spiritual heir to  the original from 1992 from Jordan Peele. The first one absolutely scared the **** out of me. And because of that to this day I have still never said “Candyman“ in a mirror five times. 

On 4/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

Karen Allen definitely goes into the “cute as a button Hall of Fame.“

Getting caught up on some movies with no live Tigers baseball to watch. Went with Ford v Ferrari on Monday and Parasite last night. I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy Parasite, not because of the subtitles but because of all the acclaim it received. Well IMO all of that acclaim was deserved. I knew the basic framework of the story, but that was it so there were still plenty of surprises for me.  Really well done!

Strangely, I'm a bit of a sucker for car/racing movies even though I do not enjoy watching actual racing at all. Really enjoyed Ford v Ferrari too, though the accents used by Damon and Bale took some time for me to adjust to.