HeyAbbott

Pre ST won/loss predictions

71 wins.  fulmer traded at deadline for a bunch of raw single a athletes.

and a right handed pitcher who throws hard but is still working on his control.  and his changeup.

75-87.  Narrowly behind the Twins but in well in front of the 100-loss White Sox, for 4th in the Central.

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

Plus, we have Gardenhire now, and he’s probably worth about 5 extra wins or so. 

Or 5 extra losses. I don't know, but do you think Gardenhire would have helped win more games than Ausmus won?

Brad was mostly bad with the entire pitching staff. Surprising because he was a catcher. Gardy at least has experience handling a staff. But like Jim Leyland said, "give me quality over experience."

Wow. After reading everyone else's thoughts, maybe I need to go for a long walk tomorrow. Gardenhire is proably still better than Asmus.

OTOH,  Gardy does not have much to work with. I still think that VMart, Miggy, Boyd, Norris, and Zimmerman will not contrbute much. My sleeper for 2018 would be Dixon Micahdo(sp).

I think they are going to be bad. Very bad. But not 2003 bad.

72-90

31 minutes ago, Antrat said:

I think they are going to be bad. Very bad. But not 2003 bad.

72-90

Good to see you back dude.  Where you been?

On 2/13/2018 at 5:06 PM, Buddha said:

71 wins.  fulmer traded at deadline for a bunch of raw single a athletes.

and a right handed pitcher who throws hard but is still working on his control.  and his changeup.

Fulmer traded in early June to the struggling Yankees - desperate for a starting pitcher.  They send 2 of their Top 4 prospects and a low A prospect with tons of potential.    

• Like 2

After careful thought and roster study and playing out multiple scenarios in my mind, I think I feel comfortable in setting the expected record for 2018 at:

not enough - too many

Anything over 70 wins will be a bonus.  This team is going to have trouble scoring runs.........and trouble keeping the other team from scoring runs.  :(

Here is something that I've learned - that, contrary to popular wisdom, you really can judge a book by a cover.  If a team looks as drab and nondescript as the 2018 Tigers do now, then we can expect nothing but drab, nondescript performance.  Here's proof:

• Like 1

I think they will be 70-92.  They are a really bad team, but playing almost a quarter of their games versus KC and Chicago will help.  There are some other really bad teams in other divisions too.  

On 2/22/2018 at 11:16 PM, Charles Liston said:

Here is something that I've learned - that, contrary to popular wisdom, you really can judge a book by a cover.  If a team looks as drab and nondescript as the 2018 Tigers do now, then we can expect nothing but drab, nondescript performance.  Here's proof:

off topic, and trivial,  but I don't there is anything stranger to me than the fact that in modern society there are so many relatively 'ordinary' people out there with truly extraordinary voices, but the music industry is full of singers that can't sing a lick.

And that doesn't even count that there is little correlation between how good a singer is technically and how pleasing their voice is to listen to (Mel Torme is a classic example for this)

43 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sex sells, G2.

That - but mostly it's the merging of pop music composition, instrumentalism and performance - which used to be far more separate worlds,  that started in the 60's and is still the dominant paradigm. Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald could be the biggest pop music stars in the world without ever writing a lyric or a tune. Today singers who don't write or at least play an instrument or are not at least part of band that does those things, are more rare - though the 'American Idol' type shows have created a mini - renaissance for them now. I think about how much bigger Robert Plant's success with Zep was than anything that came afterwards, even though his voice was such a dominant part of that music. People didn't care to hear him sing other stuff just to hear his voice. Very different from a Sinatra being able to star singing Cole Porter one decade and Paul McCartney another.

Of course OTOH, I might have paid to hear Steve Perry sing almost anything if he had ever been interested in doing it.

BTW - Tigers will lose 100.

It sounds like only the division winners and maybe all of the wildcards will finish above .500 this season.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That - but mostly it's the merging of pop music composition, instrumentalism and performance - which used to be far more separate worlds,  that started in the 60's and is still the dominant paradigm. Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald could be the biggest pop music stars in the world without ever writing a lyric or a tune. Today singers who don't write or at least play an instrument or are not at least part of band that does those things, are more rare - though the 'American Idol' type shows have created a mini - renaissance for them now. I think about how much bigger Robert Plant's success with Zep was than anything that came afterwards, even though his voice was such a dominant part of that music. People didn't care to hear him sing other stuff just to hear his voice. Very different from a Sinatra being able to star singing Cole Porter one decade and Paul McCartney another.

Of course OTOH, I might have paid to hear Steve Perry sing almost anything if he had ever been interested in doing it.

BTW - Tigers will lose 100.

I agree that has been going on for a long time.  Years ago Debbie Harry and Donna Summer were nominated for Grammys and one writer said "Doesn't anyone listen anymore?"

100 losses is well within reach.  I understand Chicago and Kansas City aren't very good.  But this pitching staff is rotten.  And they nearly managed 100 losses last season with Verlander, Upton, MartinezJD, and WilsonJ (and good hitting Avila) around for a decent amount of the season.