Gehringer_2

Duel in the D

Went down to LCA for the UM/MSU hockey game. Pretty fair tilt for two not particularly good hockey teams. Low point was an MSU player taking a game misconduct for a bad hit from behind. High point was the Michigan win, of course.

Props to LCA for interesting things to eat. BBQ brisket over Mac&Cheese was much better than it sounded like it should be. Only other comment on LCA is that it's too dark on the concourses.  I guess maybe they do that so the colored lighting effect show, but I think the place is interesting enough to look at that it would benefit if you could actually see it. Personal high point for me was the old Olympia neon letters. Lots of memories of people loved and lost tied up for me with the old red barn.

Sounds like a good experience G2. I’ve yet to visit LCA and likely won’t for a while due to the drive and expense. From a TV perspective it looks like a great arena — however I would not have picked red for the seat colors, as empty seats really stick out. 

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Sounds like a good experience G2. I’ve yet to visit LCA and likely won’t for a while due to the drive and expense. From a TV perspective it looks like a great arena — however I would not have picked red for the seat colors, as empty seats really stick out. 

TBH,  the Arena was a little less than I expected after all the hype - though it is head, shoulders and most of a torso a step up from JLA. Architecturally, relatively minor beefs would be: the narrowness of aisles ("portals") from the concourses to the bowls (clearly a compromise with seating capacity inside); that it makes no apparent sense (to me) to label both the 'portal' and the section with different unrelated numbers; and there are too few escalators, which are otherwise kind of cool almost suspended in space the way they are. OTOH, they made the upper bowl steep enough and close enough to have great site lines.

As to the seats - I have a simple solution - Pistons change their home uni color to red (they've used practically every color anyway) - then the Pistons and Wings cut the price of team jerseys low enough that all the fans of both teams buy one. Red seat problem solved!

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

As to the seats - I have a simple solution - Pistons change their home uni color to red (they've used practically every color anyway) - then the Pistons and Wings cut the price of team jerseys low enough that all the fans of both teams buy one. Red seat problem solved!

I may be in the minority, but I liked the red Pistons kits.  I don't think I'd replace the blues on a full time basis, but a good alternate for sure.  Much better than the silver things they've been donning recently.