DaYooperASBDT

DEATH STORM 2018

Enjoy it while it lasts.  As for the rest of you knuckleheads - better tune up those shoveling muscles, buddy!

Life is good man - been wasting too much time on Facebook, and have been a lot more active in politics these past couple years (hint - around the time Gary Johnson ran for President, it's all his fault lol)  Still working in the big city of Gaylord, about six years or so from retirement probably.     ;-)

I have to laugh at people complaining on Facebook about how crowded the stores and and strongly resist the temptation to ask “but.... you are there too”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even if we get the high end at 10",  by Saturday afternoon you should be able to get to one of the meany Meijers, Targets, Krogers, 711s, Food King or whatever.   I don't get the panic

OFFICER OFFICER.........THEY'RE LOOTING THE FOOD KING

59 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Even if we get the high end at 10",  by Saturday afternoon you should be able to get to one of the meany Meijers, Targets, Krogers, 711s, Food King or whatever.   I don't get the panic

OFFICER OFFICER.........THEY'RE LOOTING THE FOOD KING

Try working there during one of these events.  There are some people that really are panicked.

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Try working there during one of these events.  There are some people that really are panicked.

I know - they are insane.    Like their car can't possibly go in 6-8 inches of snow.   

I always found the "event" of it all extremely entertaining.

Maybe it is my ~millennial attitude~ or something, but I never got worked up about the snow, even when it piled high. It's not like I trek five miles by foot to the nearest Kroger and need to ration supplies, I own a friggin Jeep. 

That said, I won't trade it over the 74* and sun Palo Alto, California gave me today.

For you out of towners in nice weather,  nobody wants to hear from you today.   Nothing personal but Winter Sucks and you need to leave us in our misery.  

• Haha 1

heh, I remember winter. I'm feeling pretty good about 40s and overcast today. it's not even raining here in Portland for some reason.

I worked from home today and I think this is the first time since I was a little kid that when it was showing like this we absolutely had no reason to leave the house.  It's kind of nice to just watch it all form the inside.  I went out once to blow the snow, then the neighbor reciprocated.  

I felt a little guilty not going in as I live 2 miles away... and the guy who works for me drove in from BFE... but I told him he could go home.

1 hour ago, DaYooperASBDT said:

So ... no deaths ???

Well, actually a few died in car accidents including one in a 60 car pile up near K'Zoo.     Plus there could be a few snow shoveling heart attack deaths like there usually is.  I certainly hope not.  

7 hours ago, Oblong said:

I worked from home today and I think this is the first time since I was a little kid that when it was showing like this we absolutely had no reason to leave the house.  It's kind of nice to just watch it all form the inside.  I went out once to blow the snow, then the neighbor reciprocated.  

I felt a little guilty not going in as I live 2 miles away... and the guy who works for me drove in from BFE... but I told him he could go home.

I work from home about half my hours anyway (I call people for research studies and do interviews - I get more done at home than I do at the office - fewer distractions).   I think if I couldn't work from home today I would have called in like about half the department did.   And nobody's going to get grief from our bosses on a day like today - they'd rather you stay safe.     

I work for dhl supply chain. We do logistics for the Warren Ram plant. They have us spread thin between two shifts for Warren and one shift for Sterling Heights, so I'm working 60 hours each week until further notice. I'm no longer in management, I'm a union worker.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, actually a few died in car accidents including one in a 60 car pile up near K'Zoo.     

I drove through there about midnight last night and the side of the road looked like a war zone. 

It took a lot longer to fall than some storms in the past, but I've got  > 10 inches at my house with 2 -3 more expected. In fact when you think about it, there should be a better word than "Storm" for 2 days of gentle snow with no wind. More like a 'gentle crush'

People on our city pages are complaining about their streets not being plowed. For real.  

The cutoff of the heavy stuff was supposed to be several miles south of us, but ended up being several miles north.  It's weather, tehy can't get it right all of the time, so whatever.  I think it ended up being warmer than expected as well.  I filled the gas can Thursday night in anticipation of using it several times, but didn't need to but once.  Still calling for a few more inches tomorrow and a possible glaze of ice.  Give me the snow rather than the slick stuff.

I've found my tolerance of this weather has dropped significantly in the last two years.

On 2/9/2018 at 2:30 PM, Oblong said:

I had to have a chat with someone recently about this.  I received a text 2 1/2 hours before the technical reporting time that someone's road hadn't been plowed yet and, therefore, he wasn't coming in.  The direct evidence (the actual weather rather than the perception of the weather, the attendance of other folks from that locale and from further distances) and the indirect evidence (the constant self bravado of how kids & school systems these days are soft and this never happened when he was a kid; his own personal attendance issues the last several months) suggested he mailed it in.  I hate to be a dick about it.  The weather wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't a situation where counties were under traffic restrictions either.  Schools were cancelled, but hey. walk the talk, chump.

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This has been one of the biggest snow falls in my lifetime.

St Pats weekend  '74 (maybe 73?) was huge, also the weekend after Thanksgiving, probably the year or maybe two years following that. Then 2/4/1977 - which was the big blizzard from about Chi to NY state that buried Buffalo.  IIRC those were all >> than a foot.

To really stretch - I also remember big dump in the early '60s that closed the Det schools for the first time in forever (schools didn't close much then because every one walked). About half the kids got to school but there were only about 3 teachers in the building -  those who lived in the neighborhood! - nothing was moving.

We had some big snow storms the years we lived in MN, we lucked out with two of the worst winters there  in a while with several big dumps, but it was still more normal for there than it would have been for here.....