Sign in to follow this  
BoomGaspar

Who is this?

So over the weekend, I was digging through some old Tigers memorabilia that I bought in college (living at home and working 50 hours a week during the summer means you have disposable income, which vanishes when you do grownup things like move out and pay bills).  I came across the official 1992 team calendar (a goldmine, I know), and a picture in there caught my eye.  It's Sparky Anderson addressing a player that I couldn't initially identify, but I think I know who it is now.

Anderson.JPG.13021963951be959bb6b10b7a579439d.JPG

I think the player being lectured is Tony Castillo, a relief pitcher acquired from the New York Mets alongside outfielder Mark Carreon in exchange for pitcher Paul Gibson in January of 1992.  Castillo never appeared with the Tigers, splitting '92 between Toledo and being injured, meaning that if it's him, the picture must be from spring training.  It was the only season of his 10 year career that he did not appear in at least one major league game.  Can anyone here confirm or deny his identity?

On 07/02/2018 at 7:21 PM, BoomGaspar said:

So over the weekend, I was digging through some old Tigers memorabilia that I bought in college (living at home and working 50 hours a week during the summer means you have disposable income, which vanishes when you do grownup things like move out and pay bills).  I came across the official 1992 team calendar (a goldmine, I know), and a picture in there caught my eye.  It's Sparky Anderson addressing a player that I couldn't initially identify, but I think I know who it is now.

Anderson.JPG.13021963951be959bb6b10b7a579439d.JPG

I think the player being lectured is Tony Castillo, a relief pitcher acquired from the New York Mets alongside outfielder Mark Carreon in exchange for pitcher Paul Gibson in January of 1992.  Castillo never appeared with the Tigers, splitting '92 between Toledo and being injured, meaning that if it's him, the picture must be from spring training.  It was the only season of his 10 year career that he did not appear in at least one major league game.  Can anyone here confirm or deny his identity?

I have no idea who it is, but...

If its the 92 calendar then I presume it starts in January 92? (it may not though...) If it does then it must have been printed in 91 at some point, yes? If Castillo only became a Tiger in Jan 92 then I can't imagine it can be him. Can it?

It does look like the card MCS posted though.

08C68056-D24A-40E8-8B7D-1317F5651525.jpeg.6a991b9e854447aa81729397e86ab611.jpeg

SPARKY — “Listen very carefully Tony,  because your future depends upon it.  I have to know if I can trust you to do exactly as I say. I want the Double Ristretto Venti Half-Soy Nonfat Decaf Organic Chocolate Brownie Iced Vanilla Double-Shot Gingerbread Frappuccino Extra Hot With Foam Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended, One Sweet'N Low and One Nutrasweet, on Ice. Got it?”

TONY — “Que?”

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2018 at 4:37 PM, DaYooperASBDT said:

I was going to guess Kevin Ritz.
But then I remembered that Ritz was about 6' 4"         9_9

And 100 lbs lighter. Also doesn't look like him. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

And 100 lbs lighter. Also doesn't look like him. 

Other than that, it was a good guess.