Sydney_Fife

Game 52: Blazers @ Pistons

14 minutes ago, Hart said:

I have noticed this too.  Even Stan seems to be managing the rotation this way as he has been playing a good chunk of each quarter with only one of them on the court.  

That's the smart play. It keeps scrubs like Moreland on the bench, keeps Andre and Blake more fresh and clear of foul trouble.

Stanley with a terrible sequence. Why are we posting him up? 

Pistons up 12 after three. Lot of time left and Portland can light it up in a hurry. 

Some really bizarre calls in this one. Griffin and Galloway both with bad calls against them for offensive fouls 

The Pistons defense has been great tonight. Andre has totally taken Dame and CJ out of their comfort zone with that hard hedge. Great gameplan by SVG. 

Pistons up 17 

Pistons 4-0 since the trade. They’re 26-26 and tied for the 8 seed. 

Extremely easy 5 games left before the break. Need to go at least 4-1. 

Kelsey was also talking after the game about how the offense is becoming stagnant at times with players standing around too often watching Griffin play.  Some of it is chemistry.  Some of it though is we just need more shooters.  Griffin needs shooters to kick it to when he is drawing doubles.  

Drummond 17/17/4 and great defense in the pick and roll. 

Griffin 21/9/6 

Another day at the office. 

• Like 1

Given this start with Griffin and their best guard on the bench,  they might actually be able to make some noise when Reggie comes back - assuming he can join in without messing things up.

I'm a little nervous about Reggie coming back, the chemistry looks good now and he has a tendency to disrupt chemistry.

I really like one unit being anchored by Griffin and the other by Drummond. Keeps both units strong and keeps both guys fresh. I'm not adverse to them playing together in spurts but I like the idea of one subbing out for the other throughout the majority of the game depending on matchups of course.  

25 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Griffin 21/9/6 

I am becoming more and more persuaded we should keep Drummond with each passing game because of the defense he is playing.  It's like something all the sudden just clicked...he is timing his jumps very well, rarely falling for fakes, and just generally putting himself in good position to protect the basket.  

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'm a little nervous about Reggie coming back, the chemistry looks good now and he has a tendency to disrupt chemistry.

I really like one unit being anchored by Griffin and the other by Drummond. Keeps both units strong and keeps both guys fresh. I'm not adverse to them playing together in spurts but I like the idea of one subbing out for the other throughout the majority of the game depending on matchups of course.  

let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back. Both Miami and Portland were schedule wins, and we barely beat a Memphis team missing half their starting line-up. We have a long long way to go.  I was working most of the game so couldn't watch all of it, but that move by Blake at the end of the first half was ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It's early in the process - I wouldn't put too much into the fact that the team hasn't figured out how to optimize playing Griffin and Drummond together. I do agree that the converse - that they pretty much never have to play with both of them off the floor - does make them better.

I really wish Andre would quit moaning to the officials though. He's got to figure out that the more he pisses and moans, the fewer calls he is likely to get. I think there were a couple tonight where he had a reasonable beef, but it  doesn't help if you don't just let it go.

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I am generally more critical of Reggie than others but we are desperate for another solid rotation piece.   Maybe I am just wearing Pistons colored goggles now but I do think Reggie is going to fit the offense better with Blake than he did before with Tobias.   That said, the talk of Reggie being the third part of a big three is ridiculous.  

5 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back. Both Miami and Portland were schedule wins, and we barely beat a Memphis team missing half their starting line-up. We have a long long way to go.  I was working most of the game so couldn't watch all of it, but that move by Blake at the end of the first half was ridiculous. 

The Pistons were losing everything thrown at them before so even schedule wins are a step in the right direction.  Not disagreeing that a lot still to prove though.  

47 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Griffin 21/9/6 

6 guys in double figures, 36 assists, six players with 4 or more assists.

11 minutes ago, Hart said:

I am generally more critical of Reggie than others but we are desperate for another solid rotation piece.   Maybe I am just wearing Pistons colored goggles now but I do think Reggie is going to fit the offense better with Blake than he did before with Tobias.   That said, the talk of Reggie being the third part of a big three is ridiculous.  

I'm mostly concerned with which Reggie we are going to get back. He looked like he was already coming down from his hot start before he hurt the ankle. Is the knee really solid?  On the bright side, with Griffin handling the ball a lot, maybe the physical toll on Reggie will go down.

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's early in the process - I wouldn't put too much into the fact that the team hasn't figured out how to optimize playing Griffin and Drummond together. I do agree that the converse - that they pretty much never have to play with both of them off the floor - does make them better.

I really wish Andre would quit moaning to the officials though. He's got to figure out that the more he pisses and moans, the fewer calls he is likely to get. I think there were a couple tonight where he had a reasonable beef, but it  doesn't help if you don't just let it go.

For sure.  Just some early observations on my part, it's a fluid situation of course with trying to figure out where the pieces fit this early in  the process.  I just like the idea of having Griffin and Drummond on the court as often as possible, it also keeps Moreland on the bench so that negates a major weakness.

If his game isn't ruined by the ankle injury, the time off should have only helped his knee just in time for the post season push

51 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

If his game isn't ruined by the ankle injury, the time off should have only helped his knee just in time for the post season push

Agreed, Reggie could be as effective as ever with a new shiny toy like Blake to work with.