lordstanley

January 31-February 11, 2018 Combined Game Thread

The 2nd period Sunday in Washington may have been the Wings' best of the season. Outscored the Caps 3-0, outshot them 17-2. But the Wings again blow a 3-goal 3rd period lead before Tatar's goal won it 5-4 in OT.

I think they need to hang a sign in the lockerroom reminding everyone that there is indeed a third period they need to show up for.

4 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I think they need to hang a sign in the lockerroom reminding everyone that there is indeed a third period they need to show up for.

If the Wings get lucky and are in position to draft Dahlin, do you think Dahlin would be capable of playing 37 minutes per game next season?

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

If the Wings get lucky and are in position to draft Dahlin, do you think Dahlin would be capable of playing 37 minutes per game next season?

I was starting to ponder this then figured it was pointless because Blashill would just give Ericsson all of Dahlin's minutes after Dahlin was on the ice for a goal against.

2 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I was starting to ponder this then figured it was pointless because Blashill would just give Ericsson all of Dahlin's minutes after Dahlin was on the ice for a goal against.

Blashill isn't long for Detroit.   

Blashill isn't long for Detroit.   

If Holland sticks around I can see him keeping Blashill. Kenny seems to be in full “I know best the fans are wrong” mentality and can see him doubling down with ol Jeff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't think Blashill is the biggest problem anyway.

He isn't, but he also hasn't showed that he is a positive imo either.

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

All he realistically can do is keep it positive and reinforce with the young players how to play the right way (e.g. backcheck, don't turn the puck over at the lines, get the puck in deep, etc.) so the next coach has some useable parts that aren't fundamentally flawed.

I know that doesn't prove he is a good coach (I don't know either way, TBH), but they could have Scotty Bowman, be in the same spot in the standings, and we could be clamoring to replace Scotty.

With the Wings' 2-1 win (Larkin, Nielsen) over the Ducks last night, they now have 55 points in 55 games. Bizarrely, there's now a decent chance that both the Blackhawks and the Rangers could pick above the Red Wings. Rangers have 59 points in 57 games. Hawks have 56 points in 57 games.

Luckily the Blackhawks only have Toews and Kane at $10.5 million cap hits each for the next 6 years!  Toews putting up a studly 36 points in 57 games this year must be thrilling for them.  And that's not bringing up Seabrook's 7 remaining years at $6.875 million per! Saad having 24 points at a $6 million cap hit (4 more years) is also pretty special.

If Blashill is going to be a successful NHL coach, it won't be with the Red Wings.  He doesn't the talent or pipeline to succeed by the time players start to tune him out.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:07 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

All he realistically can do is keep it positive and reinforce with the young players how to play the right way (e.g. backcheck, don't turn the puck over at the lines, get the puck in deep, etc.) so the next coach has some useable parts that aren't fundamentally flawed.

I know that doesn't prove he is a good coach (I don't know either way, TBH), but they could have Scotty Bowman, be in the same spot in the standings, and we could be clamoring to replace Scotty.

The Wings are just not good hockey players - they don't pass well, they are not quick enough or strong enough to win back possession of the puck in their own end when shorthanded. It's just plain painful to watch the Wings try to kill penalties. It's like watching little kids get picked on.

Red Wings lost in Tampa last night 4-1. I didn't catch a second of it. Tatar with his 15th goal.

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Red Wings lost in Tampa last night 4-1. I didn't catch a second of it. Tatar with his 15th goal.

I have been missing most of the games but watched this one for some reason.  Wings didn't even look close to being able to compete with Tampa.  They had a decent amount of shots, but not many quality ones in my opinion.  Tampa's power play looked insane and the Wings could barely enter the zone on theirs.  Brutal.

Here's Ken Daniels' call of Witkowski's 1st career goal four seasons in, and his 1st point as a Red Wing.

Pretty fun game between leafs and wings. Matthews scores with 30 secs left to give leafs 3-2 win.  Glendening had a nice game.  He has been linked to the leafs last few days. Personally, I'd pass, good game none the less.  

Matthews made it look easy. As if he was just toying with the Wings for 59 1/2 minutes. I remember those type of days.